Registered Users have the option of removing this and all other advertisements.  More…

Syd Checking in Business Lane for WP and GOLD

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by danielh, Oct 21, 2005.

1. danielh

danielh Member

Dec 5, 2003
    This was new to me as I checked in this Friday afternoon for my now cancelled 12.30pm flight SYD-MLB.

The Business line sign said it was for both Platinum and GOLD members.

This was good because the line was a little bit long for me so I slipped under the barrier and checked in.

Is this normal for an afternoon flight? I usually catch the 5pm+ Friday flights so never really noticed this sort of thing for a 12noon ish time period.
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

Regards
    Daniel

2. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    It is new that the sign says that; I know that the sign at the business checkin used to indicate that the J queue was for business class and Platinum

Dave

3. danielh

danielh Member

Dec 5, 2003
    MELB J Queue is now Plat - Silver

Well I just checked in through the Melb airport and the J Queue was now for Plat, Gold AND Silver.

No one seemed to notice this though so I just walked past the 20 odd people waiting in line and checked in straight away.

I'm reasonably confident that at least half would have been Silver or higher judging from the jaded 'I have travelled too much' looks on their faces. Kinda like mine. :)

I'm not sure why they are doing this but perhaps as a response from the more frequent flyers trying to check-in 30 minutes early and finding that there are soooo many Bronze members in front of them that flying frequently is almost like trying to checking via the normal lanes.

Regards
    Daniel

4. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Re: MELB J Queue is now Plat - Silver

I know WP and SG are way more important to Qantas but is nice to see that Qantas is giving a little back to PS as well.

5. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Some things change, some things stay the same (eventually).

It was only in November 2004 that Qantas changed the multiple premium queues at the major domestic airports from one for J/WP/SG(/PS) and another for (PS/)QP to the one for J and the other WP/SG/PS/QP. This was modified earlier this year after WPs complained to J/WP & SG/PS/QP.

There is a little about the earlier change in the Demoted in Transit thread.

A bit more over on FT Here

So it looks like they have reverted after less than one year.

6. stuandmel

stuandmel Intern

Oct 10, 2005
    Sydney
    So my recently acquired plat status has come down a notch ? :x

7. stuandmel

stuandmel Intern

Oct 10, 2005
    Sydney
    Re: Some things change, some things stay the same (eventuall

...one other thing - Serfty where do I go on this site to understand what classes and statuses are for each of your abbreviations?

8. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

Try the ULTIMATE Qantas Guide by Lindsay Wilson: http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/discus/viewtopic.php?t=756 :D :D

9. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

I was looking for a link here on AFF, but can't find one. I thought it would be in Lindsay's forum but couldn't see one.

Have a look on "FlyerTalk" using this link: For those New to the QF Board" as supplied by thadocta.

10. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I thought one of the benefits of silver was that you could checkin at the Qantas Club or Business Class checkins. So really, aside from some implementation changes at the airport, I don't think much has changed.

At the end of the day as a platinum the rules allow you to use certain counters. Qantas Club, business or first class counters. So unless they change the rules, I don't see what stops you checking in at the counter of your choice.

11. danielh

danielh Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Silver meant (a month ago) that you could check in at the QP lanes but not the J lanes in MELB and SYD airports. I'm not sure about others.

It seems that only in the last week that this has changed a bit where:

Sydney-Domestic (Last checked 21st Oct 2005 12pm)
    Business - For J tickets, WP, SG
    QP Lane - PS, QP

Melbourne-Domestic (Last checked 24th Oct 2005 6.45am)
    Business - For J tickets, WP, SG, PS
    QP Lane - QP

I asked the Melb-J check-in staff this morning about the changes to the sign and he was surprised that PS was on it but not surprised about SG.

Regards
    Daniel

12. danielh

danielh Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Well today (1st Nov 2005), the Sydney Business class line was Platinum only. The Gold word was texta'd out.

Regards
    Daniel