Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

State border closures illegal under the highest law in the country?

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
No change.It just means that people who previously had to do 14 days hotel quarantine can now do it at a private residence.but the hard border remains and to travel there we all need to get an exemption.just window dressing.
It's just going back to how it was before Victoria ran into issues.

p--and--t

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
I’m not quite sure how to interpret this. Do they mean all State borders will be removed by December 1st but Victoria will remain closed to New Zealand. Or will Victoria remain closed until January for State and International borders?
I read it as all State border will be open by 1 December except Victoria. Victoria’s State borders might open in January.

Edit: Doubt it with WA holding out and the High Court case probably undecided.
I know it is very poorly written...

There is absolutely no way VIC state borders will remain closed until Jan/Feb on the current trajectory of virus containment, it won't be accepted - they are already having days of no community transmission and we have NSW already planning on opening them - so I'm assuming that reference is that VIC 'international borders' will not be open to the NZ arrangement until that point.

I'm not really sure how that practically works though...? So Sydney is open to NZ. Someone flies to Sydney then flies on domestically to Melbourne? Same effect? Or will incoming NZ's be banned from going to VIC altogether? How would that even work....
File Note: Victoria's borders have never been shut during covid AFAIK. NSW closed its border to Victoria. SA Closed its border to VIC.

drron

Veteran Member
File Note: Victoria's borders have never been shut during covid AFAIK. NSW closed its border to Victoria. SA Closed its border to VIC.
Sorry it was a 3 way decision announced by the Victorian premier.
" The border closure decision was made in consultation with Prime Minister Scott Morrison and NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, Mr Andrews said. "

HappyFlyerFamily

Established Member
So, when did VIC close its borders to prevent entry from the other two states?

Edit: It’s my understanding that border closure with NSW and SA has never been enforced by VIC authorities.
Vic was deluged trying to enforce lockdown and curfews.

OATEK

Established Member
Flights
My Map
So, when did VIC close its borders to prevent entry from the other two states?

Edit: It’s my understanding that border closure with NSW and SA has never been enforced/controlled by VIC authorities.
My understanding is that Vic requested that NSW enforce border closure so that Vic could concentrate resources internally.

BNEFlyer

Virgin
Gold
This covers many aspects of travel:

The NZ PM and Deputy have both said in the last couple of days that they'd like a bubble to be operating by Christmas with QLD, Tasmania and NSW the states that they would consider being involved.

trevella

The NZ PM and Deputy have both said in the last couple of days that they'd like a bubble to be operating by Christmas with QLD, Tasmania and NSW the states that they would consider being involved.
When the PM says that she means she’d like those states to have zero cases. She hasn’t shown any sign of taking a more pragmatic approach.

HappyFlyerFamily

Established Member
From ABC Covid live blog

Hotspot definition at centre of trans-Tasman travel bubble delay

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says the next step towards resuming trans-Tasman travel rests with Australia.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has been unable to get agreement from all of the states and territories on a uniform definition of a hotspot.

Mr Morrison is hoping rapid containment of COVID-19 hotspots will be sufficient to ease both interstate and international borders.

Ms Ardern has told Channel 9 New Zealand is waiting on that before proceeding with trans-Tasman travel.

"We will just need to make sure that hotspot regime works on our side, too, but we're all quite dedicated to making it work in the future," she said this morning.

jakeseven7

Established Member
I'm not sure if Dr Young can handle an international border clock!!! Best just to lock QLD out of everything because we will just hold things up and probably stuff things up when the inevitable community transmission occurs. We would just slam the international QLD border shut the very next day after 1 case.

Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Pushka

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
Why should kiwis be allowed into QLD when Aussies arent?!
It’s these kinds of issues that rankle. Not to worry, SA people can’t either and we haven’t had community transmission since March. So logic got thrown out.
Post automatically merged:

Prediction: Scott Morrison will not allow states that don’t sign up to the federal hotspot management plan to have international travel.
It’s one power he has and can use.
So what happened with SA then?

antycbr

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
It’s these kinds of issues that rankle. Not to worry, SA people can’t either and we haven’t had community transmission since March. So logic got thrown out.
Post automatically merged:

So what happened with SA then?
I think SA will be allowed travel but not QLD. Just that SA keeps getting forgotten by east coast media.

HappyFlyerFamily

Established Member
Prediction: Scott Morrison will not allow states that don’t sign up to the federal hotspot management plan to have international travel.
It’s one power he has and can use.
If say the States drop their borders but don’t agree to hotspot, how would the Federal Government stop a NZ person crossing into the ‘recalcitrant’ State?

muppet

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Sorry it was a 3 way decision announced by the Victorian premier.
" The border closure decision was made in consultation with Prime Minister Scott Morrison and NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, Mr Andrews said. "
I think that was more about saving face for the NSW Premier who was cracking it at QLD’s border.

I haven’t been to the border, but all the footage and photos show cars being stopped one-way and nothing the other direction. Ipso fatso, Vic doesn’t have border restrictions. Just if you come here you may not get out.🤣

Reactions: DC3

HappyFlyerFamily

Established Member
I think that was more about saving face for the NSW Premier who was cracking it at QLD’s border.

I haven’t been to the border, but all the footage and photos show cars being stopped one-way and nothing the other direction. Ipso fatso, Vic doesn’t have border restrictions. Just if you come here you may not get out.🤣
Not sure which rule would apply - the returning resident would be permitted, all traffic through airport.....

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AliceHolli