Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Rules on carry on luggage reward flight

mrsterryn

Established Member
Have a rewards ticket which is done through Qantas and Qantas is also my first leg SYD to HND
Qantas and JAL (my second leg ) have different carry on limits. Qantas is more generous.
Whose limit applies ? My flight is a 'direct ' Syd to CDG

BD1959

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Allowance is the same regardless of payment method.

QF’s allowance will apply to the QF sector; JAL’ to theirs - therefore you should pack to the lesser allowance: JAL’s.

Regards,

BD

serfty

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
As indicated , being a reward booking is irrelevant.
... My flight is a 'direct ' Syd to CDG
Are you flying SYD-xHND-CDG? (i.e. a transit at HND) If so, then for checked luggage JAL is the MSC and their rules apply to the entire journey.

If you are flying SYD-oHND-CDG (i.e. a stopover at HND), then indeed you have two individual checked luggage allowances for the two journies (AAA-oBBB-CCC means a stopover, not a transit at BBB).

Last edited:

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Solutions
Have a rewards ticket which is done through Qantas and Qantas is also my first leg SYD to HND
Qantas and JAL (my second leg ) have different carry on limits. Qantas is more generous.
Whose limit applies ? My flight is a 'direct ' Syd to CDG

I guess it depends how many pieces you are intending to take. I have never had a cabin bag weighed on JL. So if you are taking a single piece I wouldn't be concered. Two pieces and you may need to see if one looks 'personal' and the other can be full size.

Vinomofo is the best wine deals site on the planet. Good wines, real people and epic deals, without all the bowties and bs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

mrsterryn

Established Member
I guess it depends how many pieces you are intending to take. I have never had a cabin bag weighed on JL. So if you are taking a single piece I wouldn't be concered. Two pieces and you may need to see if one looks 'personal' and the other can be full size.
Thanks for that.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martinmathews