Round the World in Business Class

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by AviationNZ, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. AviationNZ

AviationNZ Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Hi,

Just a quick question, if you book either a One World Explorer or Global Explorer in Business, what class do you fly with AA? They only have "First" and "Coach". Am I right to presume their "First" class is the equivalent of our domestic business, and therefore you would travel in it?

Cheers,

Tim

2. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    First if there is on whY/F - like flying in a leather armchair.

J on 3 class transcons

3. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    swan_tim,

The variation on this is if you book an awards ticket, the AA legs are in cattle class. :evil:

4. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Not necessarily. That depends on the FF scheme whose points are being used. QF books in economy , however AA books them into 1st; not sure what the other schemes do

Dave

5. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    For paid business class fares (DONEx, DGLOBnn), if the American Airline Flight has a Business Class cabin then it books into "D" (Business). If the flight has a First Class cabin, but no Business Cass cabin it books into "A" (First). If the flight has neither Business nor First Class cabins, it books into "L" except for AA Domestic Flights 3000-5599 when it books into "Y".

There are a few basic cabin class configurations for AA flights.
    • 1 Class - Economy only (e.g. LGA-BOS)
    • 2 Class - Domestic between two USA cities- First and Economy. (e.g. LAX-HNL)
    • 2 Class - Between a USA and another country - Business and Economy. (e.g. DFW-YVR)
    • 3 Class - Transcontinental Domestic - First, Business and Economy. (e.g. LAX-JFK)
    • 3 Class - International - First, Business and Economy. (e.g. JFK-LHR)

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Also note that if you book the QF code share on AA 2-class domestic flights, you will be booked into D and receive business class SCs and cabin bonus and have a seat in the F cabin. If you book the AA flight number you earn first class SCs and cabin bonus.

7. v8Statesman

v8Statesman Established Member

Handy little tip thanks. Would that but you in a "F" seat on a QF "U" award if booking the QF code?

8. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Nope. On a QF business class award (either a partner award or a OneWorld award), you will end up in Y on AA 2-class domestic flights. But on an international AA 2-class flight (say to Canada) you get business class, which is the exact same seat as would be called F (and won't give you) for a domestic flight.

But is using AA miles for the same business class award, not only is it likely to cost you a lot less miles, but it will also get you into the F cabin.

9. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    and pay less taxes.

10. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Shhh ... don't tell everyone or they will want to change :p .