Round the World in Business Class | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Round the World in Business Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

AviationNZ

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2007
Messages
473
Flights
My Map
Hi,

Just a quick question, if you book either a One World Explorer or Global Explorer in Business, what class do you fly with AA? They only have "First" and "Coach". Am I right to presume their "First" class is the equivalent of our domestic business, and therefore you would travel in it?

Cheers,

Tim
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
First if there is on whY/F - like flying in a leather armchair.

J on 3 class transcons
 
Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Woolworths, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,740
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
swan_tim,

The variation on this is if you book an awards ticket, the AA legs are in cattle class. :evil:
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
straitman said:
swan_tim,

The variation on this is if you book an awards ticket, the AA legs are in cattle class.
Not necessarily. That depends on the FF scheme whose points are being used. QF books in economy , however AA books them into 1st; not sure what the other schemes do

Dave
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,105
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
For paid business class fares (DONEx, DGLOBnn), if the American Airline Flight has a Business Class cabin then it books into "D" (Business). If the flight has a First Class cabin, but no Business Cass cabin it books into "A" (First). If the flight has neither Business nor First Class cabins, it books into "L" except for AA Domestic Flights 3000-5599 when it books into "Y".

There are a few basic cabin class configurations for AA flights.
  • 1 Class - Economy only (e.g. LGA-BOS)
  • 2 Class - Domestic between two USA cities- First and Economy. (e.g. LAX-HNL)
  • 2 Class - Between a USA and another country - Business and Economy. (e.g. DFW-YVR)
  • 3 Class - Transcontinental Domestic - First, Business and Economy. (e.g. LAX-JFK)
  • 3 Class - International - First, Business and Economy. (e.g. JFK-LHR)
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Also note that if you book the QF code share on AA 2-class domestic flights, you will be booked into D and receive business class SCs and cabin bonus and have a seat in the F cabin. If you book the AA flight number you earn first class SCs and cabin bonus.
 

v8Statesman

Established Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
2,222
Flights
My Map
NM said:
Also note that if you book the QF code share on AA 2-class domestic flights, you will be booked into D and receive business class SCs and cabin bonus and have a seat in the F cabin. If you book the AA flight number you earn first class SCs and cabin bonus.
Handy little tip thanks. Would that but you in a "F" seat on a QF "U" award if booking the QF code?
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
v8Statesman said:
Handy little tip thanks. Would that but you in a "F" seat on a QF "U" award if booking the QF code?
Nope. On a QF business class award (either a partner award or a OneWorld award), you will end up in Y on AA 2-class domestic flights. But on an international AA 2-class flight (say to Canada) you get business class, which is the exact same seat as would be called F (and won't give you) for a domestic flight.

But is using AA miles for the same business class award, not only is it likely to cost you a lot less miles, but it will also get you into the F cabin.
 

drron

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 4, 2002
Messages
24,811
NM said:
Nope. On a QF business class award (either a partner award or a OneWorld award), you will end up in Y on AA 2-class domestic flights. But on an international AA 2-class flight (say to Canada) you get business class, which is the exact same seat as would be called F (and won't give you) for a domestic flight.

But is using AA miles for the same business class award, not only is it likely to cost you a lot less miles, but it will also get you into the F cabin.
and pay less taxes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,311
Messages
2,080,989
Members
53,717
Latest member
reggy1
Top