Roomba, Dysons, Thermomix and other household appliances

love_the_life

Solutions
I had heard air fryers can smoke a bit - if so might be an issue at our place with a hair trigger smoke alarm. Has been known to go off when opening the oven. :)

AMX001595_Travel-Insider_1100x260

serfty

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
I had heard air fryers can smoke a bit - if so might be an issue at our place with a hair trigger smoke alarm. Has been known to go off when opening the oven. :)
Yes they can smoke, and a surprising amount (especially when doing Chicken Wings/Drumsticks/ pieces - but it does them yum!).

We tried running ours on a board under the Stove tops Exhaust fan - worked somewhat but still not enough.

We now keep it on a trolley and wheel it a few feet outside to use it. Still worth it.

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
With the smoke, what causes that? Do you add oil or something or is it the meat or whatever’s being air-fried burning a bit?

Pushka

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Yes they can smoke, and a surprising amount (especially when doing Chicken Wings/Drumsticks/ pieces - but it does them yum!).

We tried running ours on a board under the Stove tops Exhaust fan - worked somewhat but still not enough.

We now keep it on a trolley and wheel it a few feet outside to use it. Still worth it.
So somewhat like a BBQ then. Thanks for the tip. I have also read in a FB group that one of the fryers cracked a stone bench top! Livid. :mad: I already have a marble top I use on the bench that I can use for it.

serfty

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
With the smoke, what causes that? Do you add oil or something or is it the meat or whatever’s being air-fried burning a bit?
We do not use oil at all.

In the case of Chicken pieces, there is a often lot of skin whichhas a high fat content.

Much of the fat drains into the bottom of the bowl during the hard and hot convection cooking process, some burns and smoke is generated.

The result is lean crispy skin chicken pieces.

VPS

Solutions
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum
There are robot mops. iRobot have one but there are others. Reviews sound good. I thought of getting one for our wooden floors but using something like that on almost 100 year old polished floors doesn't really sound safe!

Does anyone know if these ones for tiles are smart enough to know when they reach carpet so they don't wet the carpet (or can you get one that does both carpet and tiles)

love_the_life

Solutions
Does anyone know if these ones for tiles are smart enough to know when they reach carpet so they don't wet the carpet (or can you get one that does both carpet and tiles)
From what I've read the vac/mop combinations have 2 different containers - one you put in for vacuuming and one for the washing. I understand they know/can be trained on where to go and the better ones can have boundaries set (not just when it hits a wall).

Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

blackcat20

Enthusiast
So somewhat like a BBQ then. Thanks for the tip. I have also read in a FB group that one of the fryers cracked a stone bench top! Livid. :mad: I already have a marble top I use on the bench that I can use for it.
I’m not sure why anyone was surprised by that, anything that produces heat can damage stone benches. I always put a wooden board under our slow cooker just to be safe.

mrs.dr.ron

Established Member
I’m not sure why anyone was surprised by that, anything that produces heat can damage stone benches. I always put a wooden board under our slow cooker just to be safe.
Me too, I double board under the slow cooker - 9 hours generates a lot of heat !!! We have Corian bench tops, which supposedly can take the heat - but I dont want to test it !

Pushka

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
So I bought the Phillips Air Dryer a few weeks ago but after the comments about smoke etc I’d decided the first time I’d use it is when the apartment block of four was empty.

Today. Have some spicy chicken wings to do. Turn it on under the exhaust fan, and heard a kerfuffle outside. And see this right outside the front door.

4F8D238A-4D14-4500-9926-C2C891240037.jpeg

Last edited:

Pushka

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
So I bought the Phillips Air Dryer a few weeks ago but after the comments about smoke etc I’d decided the first time I’d use it is when the apartment block of four was empty.

Today. Have some spicy chicken wings to do. Turn it on under the exhaust fan, and heard a kerfuffle outside. And see this right outside the front door.

View attachment 240482

They were having a coffee break. They’ve moved on. And Council workers back in repairing all the damage from our recent weather.

FB311616-CDBA-415F-B0FC-627B904200D3.jpeg

Fryer doing the wings beautifully. Will see if anyone here notices the difference.

8FA6643F-611F-430A-8BD6-C0024AF7FE8D.jpeg

Pushka

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
So, does the Phillips produce smoke?
Not with the chicken wings. So far so good. Might try some chips tonight. Can I just say if it tastes as good it is so much easier than the normal way. These were put into Buttermilk then a spiced flour mix then shaken.

VPS

Solutions
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum

View attachment 240482
Phillips Air Dryer ;)