QF fares going up again :( | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

QF fares going up again :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,253
Flights
My Map
Latest Fare Changes

"Effective for sales and travel on/ after 4 p.m. AEST (2 p.m. AWST) 13 October 2006, Domestic Business Class, Fully Flexible, Flexi Saver, and Super Saver Fares (except SPXO) will increase.

These increases will apply to all mainline services and airlink services.

All existing bookings must be ticketed by 4 p.m. AEST (2 p.m. AWST) 13 October 2006, otherwise the increased fares will apply.

Associate wholesale fares will also be increased effective 20 October 2006."

Also:

Latest Fare Changes

"QantasLink Fare Update - Fare Increase 10 October 2006

Effective for sale and travel from 13 October 2006, QantasLink will increase their Y and Wholesale IT fares across the turbo-prop network.

Effective for sale and travel from 20 October 2006, Group fares will also increase on the QantasLink turbo-prop network.

All existing Y and Wholesale IT bookings must be ticketed prior to close of business 12 October 2006 or as per fare TTL restrictions, whichever is earlier.

Group bookings must be ticketed prior to close of business 19 October 2006 or as per fare TTL restrictions, whichever is earlier.

If ticketing is not completed at this time the new level will apply."



I believe the increases are between ~2% and ~3% on all flights.
 

Febs

Established Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
1,659
How often does this happen?

When I booked my SYD-HKG flights in Sept, I was told by the TA I had to get approval (work flights) by a certain date, as there was a fare hike coming.

Again, the other day I was told by the TA to get approval for my Europe flights by the 13th - again, obviously due to this fare hike.

Do they usually occur that frequently?

Cheers,
- Febs.
 

thadocta

Active Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2003
Messages
757
A precursor to a reduction in fuel fines, perhaps? Rasise the fares, lower the fuel fines a couple of weeks later, big announcement "Qantas reduces fuel surcharges" (neglects to mention that overall cost is exactly the same).

Or am I being TOO cynical here.....

Dave
 

Lonely Flyer

Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
349
Febs said:
How often does this happen?

When I booked my SYD-HKG flights in Sept, I was told by the TA I had to get approval (work flights) by a certain date, as there was a fare hike coming.

Again, the other day I was told by the TA to get approval for my Europe flights by the 13th - again, obviously due to this fare hike.

Do they usually occur that frequently?

Cheers,
- Febs.
Obviuosly they were both talking about the same impending rise. There have been no official rise in fares other than the fuel fines for some time
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,786
Flights
My Map
thadocta said:
A precursor to a reduction in fuel fines, perhaps? Rasise the fares, lower the fuel fines a couple of weeks later, big announcement "Qantas reduces fuel surcharges" (neglects to mention that overall cost is exactly the same).

Or am I being TOO cynical here.....

Dave
I think that is exactly what Qantas should be doing. Moving the revenue from the fuel fines into the base fare is an appropriate move in my opinion. Lets just hope the two changes are linked.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
But they then need to make sure that they move the base fare as fuel prices move - rather than simply once a year - or every time the fuel price increases.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,786
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
But they then need to make sure that they move the base fare as fuel prices move - rather than simply once a year - or every time the fuel price increases.
They should review their fares any time there is a significant change in any of their base costs. We all accept the fact that they offer 15 different fares for the same route and there is no guarantee that we will be paying the same fare month to month due to availability. So I have no issue with them reviewing the base fares on a regular basis (say every 2 or 3 months) which is no different to how often then have been reviewing the fuel surcharges anyway.
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
820
NM said:
I think that is exactly what Qantas should be doing. Moving the revenue from the fuel fines into the base fare is an appropriate move in my opinion. Lets just hope the two changes are linked.
But if they then annouce that they have reduced their fuel fines by the same amount how would the general public know that they have not?
QF will need to reduce their fuel fine by more than this increase.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,786
Flights
My Map
Altair said:
But if they then annouce that they have reduced their fuel fines by the same amount how would the general public know that they have not?
QF will need to reduce their fuel fine by more than this increase.
They have a right to charge what they like for the ticket, irregardless of what the price of fuel is at any point in time.

Whether the total price paid comes down or not is a commercial issue for Qantas to determine. But I do believe the fuel fines should be removed completely and the base fare adjusted to the level that Qantas determine to be a reasonable price to sell their product.
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
820
NM said:
They have a right to charge what they like for the ticket, irregardless of what the price of fuel is at any point in time.

Whether the total price paid comes down or not is a commercial issue for Qantas to determine. But I do believe the fuel fines should be removed completely and the base fare adjusted to the level that Qantas determine to be a reasonable price to sell their product.
That is true but I was thinking along the lines of a retailer marking up regular prices for a "sale" then advertising the same prices as the reduced sale price. I believe that is illegal, but not certain what statue, Fair Trading Act (which I think is state based).
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,786
Flights
My Map
Altair said:
That is true but I was thinking along the lines of a retailer marking up regular prices for a "sale" then advertising the same prices as the reduced sale price. I believe that is illegal, but not certain what statue, Fair Trading Act (which I think is state based).
Its all in the way it is marketed. Advertise it as a sale when its the same as the normal price and they would be facing problems. Advertise it as an adjustment to merge the current fuel fine component into the base fare and I can see any reason to complain.
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
820
NM said:
Its all in the way it is marketed. Advertise it as a sale when its the same as the normal price and they would be facing problems. Advertise it as an adjustment to merge the current fuel fine component into the base fare and I can see any reason to complain.
Well I am assuming you "can't see any reason to complain in the above":p
You are right if they state it is rolling the fuel fine into the base fare, not a reduction of the fine. However people will forget about the fine altogether and QF can maintain their price.
I actually think the separate fine (not surcharge or levy) is good in that it has some transparency as I am gullible enough to think they will reduce it....:oops:
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,786
Flights
My Map
Altair said:
Well I am assuming you "can't see any reason to complain in the above":p
oops, yes you assume correctly. Even my speel cheker won't pick up those "senoir typing moments".
 

Standby

Active Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
619
It appears not all fares have/are going up.
the leadin Red-e-deal fares (classes O & N) and the cheapest Supersaver Fare (S) isnt moving...competitive pressure at the lower end of the fare scale no doubt
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,786
Flights
My Map
Standby said:
It appears not all fares have/are going up.
the leadin Red-e-deal fares (classes O & N) and the cheapest Supersaver Fare (S) isnt moving...competitive pressure at the lower end of the fare scale no doubt
Or perhaps people who buy those fares require less fuel than people why buy the fares at the higher end of the scale?
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
820
NM said:
Or perhaps people who buy those fares require less fuel than people why buy the fares at the higher end of the scale?
No it is to finally bring them in line with "enhanced" FF points rate.;)
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,598
Flights
My Map
Standby said:
It appears not all fares have/are going up.
the leadin Red-e-deal fares (classes O & N) and the cheapest Supersaver Fare (S) isnt moving...competitive pressure at the lower end of the fare scale no doubt
..although the sale fares have snuck up during the year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
80,805
Messages
1,859,178
Members
48,637
Latest member
Sirine
Top