Not open for further replies.

QF WP

Enthusiast
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Background

When planning the main sectors of this trip (BNE/PER/ADL/SYD/BNE), I used the extensive knowledge of Dave Noble. (I call him my 9* travel agency, because he's better than any TA I've ever had!). There is nobody better at seeking out those upgrades (particularly the first flight, BNE/PER). His use of ExpertFlyer was immeasurably important to making this trip comfortable (particularly having a couple of mid-haul domestic flights, I prefer to do these in J these days). It was time to pay economy (well, K class, so flexible) and burn my remaining upgrade credits as well as my wife kindly giving me hers, to sit in the comfortable end of the planes. For the rest of the flights, I burnt my QF points that never seem to diminish too far.

In addition, as I would be staying in PER for the weekend and there’s not a lot left for me to see in PER, I had decided to get some cheap flights and head off to a couple of regional towns (Broome and Kalgoorlie) that I had wanted to see. So there are two day trips (PER/BME/PER and PER/KGI/PER) nested in the main ticket. Fortunately, two of these flights also had Business Class (as they were mainline QF flights rather than Qantaslink), so I burnt a couple more FF points. No use taking them to the grave with me :roll: …

P.S. Photo's will be added, got to download them off my camera and upload them here...

Tuesday, 17 January 2006

A reasonably timed morning flight with my favourite chauffeur (my wife) dropping me at the airport at 8am as she went to work. I noticed the new signage indicating the Business Class, Qantas Club and Economy lines. The Business Class line only had 1 person in front of me, so I was quickly to the next available CSA with my baggage. Hoisted it onto the weighing machine, I slid across the counter my QFF card and licence advising the female CSA that I was off to PER. She swiped my card, retrieved my booking and handed me back my BP with seat 1F.

Didn’t have a lot of time upstairs in the QC Lounge, but as I entered I saw a friend who works for QF, on the CS Desk. Joined the queue to say hi to him and when he asked me where I was going and could he help me (he always knows I’m looking for on departure upgrades), I slid across my Business Class BP to see if there were any better seats (window or aisle, but not in the middle section). He told me it was a very full flight with no availability in J and only a couple of seats left in Y. I could imagine that there were a number of my fellow Conference attendees being on board, but I doubt any of them would be in Business.

Barely had time to head for the Beverage Bar and get a Tomato Juice before my flight was being paged. A short walk to the closest Gate (22) and joined the line to board, noticing a couple of people (both in front and behind) I knew who were also off to the Conference. “Bet they are all in the back of the bus :wink: ”, I thought smiling to myself…

QF589 BNE/PER (Distance 2,244 miles), Seat 1F (Business Class, centre section)
Boeing 767-338, VH-OGE “City of Orange”
STD: 8.45am (doors closed 9.05am & push back 9.14am,actual take-off 9.25am)
Captain – ?, F/O: Anthony Douglas, FA’s – Inge & Lee (in J), Leah & Dee (in Y)

After settling into my Seat, the Captain came over the PA advising that the ground crew and flight deck were working on an “engineering problem” which made my seat mate and I look at one another and raise our eyebrows :roll: . He turned out to be an aviation engineer (working on helicopters). They were also loading some additional cargo that the Captain said might make us a little late leaving the Gate. They closed the doors at 9.05am, then we sat in limbo At 9.10am, he came back over the PA to advise that although the cargo had finished loading some time ago, they had been having trouble with the rear cargo door not closing, but they believed the problem was now fixed. At 9.14am, the doors were closed and the plane pushed back from the Gate. We sat next to VH-VXJ and VH-VXA (who were parked at Gates 18 and 19) after push back, awaiting instructions from the Tower, as we had missed our original take-off slot. We eventually took off at 9.25am, over Moreton Bay, turned right and headed into a U-turn at 520 kms/hr (as Flight Map was showing on the screens, as this plane was an obvious Internationally-configured 767).

Once we had reached cruising altitude, the Snack was served (well it looked more like a breakfast meal to me, who am I to complain). My Low Fat Meal consisted of a bowl of fruit (blueberries, orange & grapefruit pieces), toast with strawberry jam, steamed asparagus with tomato, onion and mushroom sauce. Service on the LHS of the aircraft was actually completed before our side was begun, as well as the clearing of the trays, I’m not quite sure why the staggered service as they weren’t short of FA’s in J.

After the meal, I pulled out my laptop and proceeded to work for the rest of the flight, apart from the occasional times that other Conference delegates came forward to use the J toilets and spied me sitting there.

3.5 hours into the flight (11am Perth time, with the 2 hour time difference), a beverage service was commenced with Pistachio & Almond Shortbread with Vanilla (made by Manna from Heaven, a new supplier to QF). I was lucky enough to also receive a fruit plate (mango, blueberries, orange, kiwifruit & passionfruit). Just beautiful…this is what Business Class is all about….service 8) .

Descent commenced at 11.45am (Perth time), around 160 kms from Perth and we had a solid touchdown on Runway 21-03 at 12.04pm. We taxied to Gate 2 and de-planed quickly (the joys of being at the pointy end). I was already down at the luggage belt (number 2), when all the other Conference attendees turned up. Needless to say, the frustrating :x part about this sector was that my baggage (tagged Business), came out in the second half of the baggage.

My one big bugbear about flying domestically in Australia – why they don’t separately sort the different baggage (Business, Priority and no tags) into separate bins and train the handlers to put them out in that order. Seems that the final part of customer service in flying, is lacking in Australia. Hey, if this is the most I have to gripe about though, I must be having a good day.

Joined a couple of my colleagues for a taxi ride to the Conference @ Burswood Convention Centre, where I was staying at the Holiday Inn. As a much newer hotel than the Intercontinental, plus the fact that my brother was staying at the IC, meant it was a logical choice.

Holiday Inn, Burswood

Check-in was pretty quick and I was given Room 407 (4th floor, mid-level in this hotel). Mid-way along the corridor, so nowhere near the prized rooms next to the elevators :p that I definitely didn't want....I'm sure everybody who's stayed in one of those has been woken up by early-morning inebriated people shouting to one another as they wandered down the corridor to find their room...

I had been going to join the Priority Club, but with only a day at work between arriving back from holidays and heading off for my first work trip for the year, I had more important things on my mind (like downloading the 250 emails and ensuring I had all my work gear with me for the following week of meetings with clients in PER and ADL) . Add to that the frustration when I tried to register on their website, that neither accessing it at work or on my home computer would allow me to finalise the registration details.... :confused:. So when I got to my room, I rang Dave Noble (being the IT guru that I'm not) who said it would probably be easier that he do it for me and then once done, I'd be able to add the final details.

Perfect timing Lindsay

Now if I can just get printer to work I have some reading for the flight.

Saturday, 21 January 2006

After a very early morning wake-up call (5am), I stumbled (literally) out of bed and straight into the shower – it was going to be the only way I would make my 6.50am flight this morning. Hindsight thought - I don’t recommend travelling after only 2 hours sleep, following the conclusion of a Conference and the final night Ball.

After utilising the Express Check-Out facility for my Room as well as the held luggage facilities, I made my way outside to the taxi that had been called for me. I had only learnt yesterday of the emergence of a Cyclone, named Darryl, that had seemed determined to scuttle my trip to Broome today. My taxi driver was able to advise that indeed, flights to/from Broome had been cancelled yesterday and only in the last 12 hours (whilst I had been enjoying the Ball), Darryl had left Broome in it’s wake and was heading to Port Headland and Karratha – thankfully meaning my trip to Broome was back on, but that flights to the previously mentioned towns had been cancelled. Looking back at my earlier decisions about where I would go this weekend, I had been lucky I had changed my mind and booked Broome.

I arrived at the airport at 6am after a quick trip from Holiday Inn Burswood, After paying the taxi driver (something I wasn’t used to, normally I charge it to my Cabcharge card but her EFTPOS terminal was broken), I headed into the Qantas Terminal and straight to a free QuickCheck terminal. Inserting my QFF card, it immediately brought up both my flights for the day and after confirming the seat selection was acceptable, it printed out both my BP’s. Then it was through Security after divesting the contents of my pockets and laptop bag into the scanner, packing it all back in again and heading up the escalators to the departure floor.

In Perth, the QC is directly ahead, up another Escalator, with entry through doors to the Reception Desk. I flashed my BP and QFF card and with barely a glance from the CSA, was allowed entry to my sacred hideaway from the throng of travellers downstairs, who were milling around the eateries, shops and Gates. The Lounge was moderately busy, with flights to Sydney, Melbourne and two to Broome within the final stages of imminent departure (mine was due to depart at 6.50am).

After having some breakfast (consisting of fruit salad and yogurt, not thinking I had too much time for much else), I left the QC early (a couple of minutes before the boarding time – normally I’d wait until final call) as I wanted to be down at the Gate (number 5) ready for boarding. Little was I to know what was about to befall my flight….

After settling down in one of the forward facing seats with a perfect view of Nalanji Dreaming sitting on the tarmac, I waited. Positively, I saw a Captain walk to the doors, swipe his access card and walk down the steps towards the planes – presumably, I thought, to my plane. But barely was he through the door, when an announcement was made that the operating aircraft for our sector (a 717-200??) did not have the flying range required (given the Cyclone and the possibility of additional distance to be travelled around the storm cell) and the flight had been cancelled. They quickly added that all pax were being re-booked on the next flight (QF1938, with a scheduled departure of 7.10am) and that luggage and re-catering for that flight would mean a delayed departure for that flight.

With no reason to remain in the Lounge, I immediately got up and strode quickly for the escalators to the QC again. I wanted to ensure that of all the transferring pax, I was going to get the best seat as I quickly realised that check-in would be nearing finalisation downstairs and that the other pax needed to probably head back downstairs to obtain new BPs as there was no Customer Service desk open upstairs. This was going to delay the departure of our new flight and reduce my time in Broome.

Back to the QC, where Dee, one of the Reception staff (to my delight) had already begun the process of getting new seat assignments for those QC members from the cancelled flight. That’s efficiency and excellent customer service for you! I will be writing in and giving them praise through the QF Excell page on the QF website. I guess they had begun the process seating Plat members first, as they had already re-printed my BP. Irrespective of the reasoning, I now had Seat 3F (which I was delighted to find upon boarding, was the first row of Economy with generous legroom). I hadn’t expected a seat so far forward, particularly given my new sequence number [48] of “checking-in” for the flight – I’ll put it down to the benefits of high tier membership. They were also relieved to know that I only had carry-on, so they were finished with me quickly and turned their attention to the other members.

Whilst sitting down to a more substantial breakfast, it was announced that the expected delay of my new flight would be 30 minutes – I thought that was pretty good. They were good to their word, as the boarding announcement was made half an hour later. Given the larger plane, the Gate was full and I made sure I was one of the last to board.

QF1938 PER/BME (Distance 1,042 miles), Seat 3F (Economy, window)
BAe146 Avro RJ (VH-NJN)
STD: 7.10am (doors closed 8.07am, push back 8.10am, take-off 8.20am)
F/O: Mark Miller, Captain – Jim McEvoy, FA’s – Laura, Megan and Fay

Whilst boarding was made on time, we were in for further delays as the transferring baggage and extra catering was put on-board. We taxied out to runway 24-06, where we were the only plane in the queue, so departure was rapidly underway. At 8.25am, the Captain announced that we were passing 17K feet with our ultimate cruising altitude of 28K feet. He expected lots of cloud cover and moderate turbulence. As this was the first flight to land in Broome since the Cyclone, he mused that we might be in for some additional flying to skirt the storm cell.

The age of the aircraft could be readily ascertained as soon as I pulled out the tray-table….cracks along with joins and yellowing that was definitely on the way out. Laura and Megan served breakfast at 8.25am (see picture) which was extremely filling and perfectly cooked – scrambled eggs with sausages and bacon, Berri OJ, Brownes light strawberry yogurt, a fruit scone with strawberry jam. Whilst this was being organised, I got up close and personal with the RHS engine. Breakfast was cleared around 9am and we were left in peace for 75 minutes, when they arranged a second trolley run of the flight with beverages and Santos Pretzel snack (trail mix).

At 10.35am, the FO indicated that there was significant cloud cover on our LHS and although we had gone the log way around, they had been able to make up some time. We were cleared to land on Runway 28 and at 10.50am we roared over the town on Broome, across the river and landed on the surprisingly long runway, taxing to the Terminal (see pictures). Time to quickly explore Broome, albeit with an hour less than I had originally planned – it just made my trip to Paspaley Pearls all the more important. With Valentines Day coming up and being away from my wife for 9 days, I needed to secure some brownie points ;)

If you’re looking for a Qantas Club in Broome, don’t be surprised when you are disappointed. This is a regional WA airport with one check-in desk and security line, however boasts 2 waiting lounges (one is open air, the other said it is air-conditioning, however wall-mounted air-conditioners and ceiling fans in the middle of summer aren’t my idea of an air-conditioned waiting lounge). I have included a couple of photo’s to show you around the facilities, the tropical-looking Arrival and Departures buildings and the incongruous International Departures building.

However, the local Hertz rep, Jess, was excellent – real country personal service. As I wasn’t sure about whether I was going to arrive, I hadn’t booked anything. Jess gave me the use of the Corolla she had been driving (had to get her groceries out of the boot) and only charged me $30 for the 2 hour hire – still cheaper than using the local taxi service (assuming there was one). Plus it gave me another 1,000 QFF points!

After choosing a present for my wife from Paspaley Pearls, I had barely enough time to drive to Cable Beach and marvel at the expanse of beach. Unfortunately, it was rough due to the aftermath of the weather from the Cyclone, so not as pristine as had been explained to me by friends. Time to head back to Security (as I had obtained my BP this morning) and head for Gate 2.

Again, I waited until I was the last pax to board, so I could get enough juice into my laptop to continue writing this report. This was also the first wide-body jet to leave Broome after the cancellations yesterday, so both the Lounges were full and I was glad that I was in Business Class. I made a point of looking at the load in Economy as I sat down – indeed, not a spare seat in sight.

QF1073 BME/PER (1,042 miles), Seat 2A (Business Class, window)
737-800, VH-NJN “City of Port Douglas”
STD: 1.20pm (actual 1.47pm with push back 1.38pm)
F/O: ?, Captain – ?, FA’s – Elaine Langridge (CSM), Megan

The captain (whose name I missed) advised that it was 2 hours 5 mins to PER with similar weather advice to that given on the inbound leg. Bumpy, keep your seatbelt fastened when you are seated and when the seatbelt light is re-illuminated during the flight, return to your seat. He also reminded that cabin service would be suspended during those periods.

Took off on Runway 28, climbing over the river and turned left over the beach to track down the coast. During taxi, I saw VH-22B (a Customs plane) on the tarmac, the first one I’d seen. As soon as the crew were able to get up, they were into serving us refreshments – make mine a G&T please, I’m not driving at the other end. Elaine had discretely put the pax manifest on her tray and was calling everyone by name, so she took the time to quickly look at the names as she went to every row getting orders.

My special meal turned up (the other pax had the option of fish atop a herbed mashed potato base with vegetables, or a chicken salad with a lemon vinaigrette dressing and vegetables). The red wine on the trolley was Shaw & Smith 2005 Sauvignon Blanc, the Red a Cullens Ellen Bussell 2004. I only drink red wine, so an easy choice.

At 2.20pm, we made a significant turn left (away from the cloud cover, presumably we were getting close to Port Headland & Karratha); then another turn at 2.24 back to what seemed to be the original position. Not content with that course, the captain or F/O changed again at 2.30pm into a number of gentle weaving turns. He liked that, as he did it again at 2.47pm. By this time, it was getting a little disconcerting. At 3pm, he finally announced the seatbelt sign was going on and cabin service was suspended until the point as which they started the descent. Seems the Cyclone had drifted further south during the day and winds/weather were making for interesting flying conditions.

Touchdown was finally upon us at 3.48pm on runway 21-03 and as we crossed 24-06, we taxied past a number of jets on the tarmac – Skywest’s VH-FNY and QF’s VH-TJX. We pulled into Gate 1 and my days’ adventure was over.

Now it was back to the Holiday Inn to pick up my bags, then off to check into my usual Perth hotel for the next 3 nights (Hilton Parmelia Perth) for a freshen up. Picked up a taxi at the Airport rank without any problem, as I only had hand luggage and beat everybody from my flights out of the terminal.

Parmelia Perth Hilton

Now I’m only a Gold HH member, but I have been staying at this Hilton for about 4 years, at least twice a year (sometimes 3) and always for between 2 and 4 nights. I don’t travel to the other side of Australia just to stay a single night… that’s too hard on my body clock. I know they do log stays of their frequent guests.

As a Premium Club member, I had been able to book their January specials – stay 3 nights, pay for two (albeit at $200/night, about a third more than what I can normally get a room here). So really the price was $133.33/night, about what I’d expect to pay. I’ve also chosen Hilton points + points, as well as giving away my amenity (usually I’ve received chocolates or a bottle of wine at this property) for free breakfast (as there is no Club Lounge). This property is tired and needs a refurbishment but as it’s directly across the street from where my clients are situated on St Georges Terrace, I’m willing to trade convenience for some new carpet. Along with other Hiltons in Australia, this property has just lost it’s 5* rating (not that it bothers me).

Turning up in the taxi, I checked in and was pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to a King Suite…room 1013 this time (top floor, furthest room from the elevators). Pictures will be coming…

I had scored a free ticket from my purchase of some Sandalford wines during the Conference, so tonight’s entertainment was Symphony at Sandalford…as the tickets said:

“Join Australia’s diva of soul (Marcia Hinds) with full Orchestral backing, for one very special night under the stars in the beautiful setting of the Sandalford Estate, Swan Valley.”

Making life easy for myself, I simply walked to the Perth central railway station and caught the train to Midland station, where a waiting shuttle bus took me to the concert. To prove what a small world it is, even in a sell-out concert, I walked around and sat within 5 metres of some Conference delegates from my home State that I knew well, so I joined them for the evening. Surprisingly, we were directly over the flight path to PER, well into the decent, so a number of wide-body and small jets flew low over during the concert. It was also increasingly windy, I suppose the head-winds from the Cyclone were already reaching Perth.

Returning from the concert was the reverse order, shuttle bus then train. Thankfully, there were a group of around 30 of us returning by train, as Midlands isn’t the safest to be late at night (attested by the train station security guard being behind barred windows).

Sunday, 22 January

I must be a sucker for mileage runs, because this mornings flight was at 6.30am, necessitating an even earlier wake up call than yesterday (both because of the earlier time, as well as the further to travel).

Woke up at 5am and hit the shower, then dressed (I had arranged everything the previous evening before going to bed). Straight down to the taxi rank outside the Hilton, no time for breakfast at the Hotel this morning (the Brasserie wasn’t even open, but they were setting up). I didn’t mind, a thoughtfully kept muesli bar from yesterday’s flights kept me going until I was able to reach the Qantas Club.

Arrived at the airport and straight to any of the free QuickCheck terminals (there was hardly anybody around at 5.45am). Inserting my QFF card, it immediately brought up both my flights for the day and after confirming the seat selection was again acceptable, it printed out both my BP’s. Through Security without a hitch and up to the QC for breakfast – a couple of bowls of fruit and some bircher muesli would keep me going for a while. Then the flight was called and down I wandered to Gate 8 (via the escalator from the QC down to the departure floor). Whilst walking to the Gate (via an outside covered walkway like the Horizon/Alaskan’s Gates at SEA), I was able to see what other aircraft were sitting on the tarmac awaiting departure – VH-NJC at Gate 7, VH-NJL at Gate 6, VH-NXF at Gate 5, whilst.on the tarmac by itself was VH-NXE. After pushback, had a great view of VH-VXP also readying for take-off.

QF1884 PER/KGI (334 miles), Seat 4A (Economy Class, window)
717-200, VH-NXB
STD: 6.30am (doors closed 6.27am, push back 6.32am and take off 6.40am)
Captain – Russ Oakley, F/O: ?, FA’s – Kimberley, Natalie, Tara and Allana

The load this morning to Kalgoorlie was very light – I only counted 40 pax. It was bumpy as we climbed after take-off, before turning 45 degrees to the left and heading over the towns of Merredin, Southern Cross and Coolgardie. Breakfast was served at 6.55am (see photo) and this was a quiet and uneventful flight.

There is only one runway at KGI, so there was no trouble with holding patterns and we went straight in to land. In contrast to yesterday, the Terminal at KGI is modern – but with so much money in the economy from mining, I can understand why. There are only two airlines that fly in – SkyWest and Qantas. Given my early arrival, I was able to get some photographs of the terminal.

For those who aren't familiar with Kalgoorlie (as I wasn't), it's a mining town...not somewhere you'd think to go, but I'd always wanted to see what a mining town was like. I've been to Mount Isa, but had never been underground or spent any time looking at mining operations. This was my chance to experience it. After some research, I had decided to hire a car and firstly, go to the Mining Hall of Fame (where I could go underground on a tour), then go to see a working pit mine (SuperPit) both about 2kms from the main street, so neither were out of the way.

Hertz Kalgoorlie

So off to the Hertz desk, which I subsequently found is only manned before and after the flights each day. Because I had gone around the terminal taking photographs, the service agent had already left. So I picked up the courtesy phone and found myself soon talking to Lisa, who had just arrived home. I explained to her my situation, apologising for not booking anything but asking whether she had any cars available for the day. She quoted me the prices for her cars still available and I agreed to hire a Nissan Pulsar for $50. She drove back to the Terminal (she only lived 2kms away) and we completed the Rental Agreement. She handed me the rental packet, keys and pointed out my car as she walked back to her car and drove off. I hopped into my car and came across a printed form in the front seat which said:

Please inspect your vehicle prior to leaving the carpark for any damage that is not noted on your “Vehicle Condition Report”. This is the form given to you at the counter that you signed, advising you of the damage that we are aware of). If you notice additional damage, please return with your rental agreement to the Hertz Counter so that your form can be updated. Should we find any new damage upon return of the vehicle, you will be charged for this. Regardless of fault, please refer to the terms and conditions in the rental wallet for further information.

So being the diligent person, I checked my Vehicle Condition Report, which showed nothing wrong with my car. I thought that a little strange, as he car had done 31,000 kms and this was a country town with plenty of stones, trucks and your can picture my thoughts. I hopped out and thoroughly checked the car. Sure enough, I found stones chips and scratches on both sides that hadn’t been noted, so I went back inside the Terminal to ring Lisa again to advise her of what I had found. Apologising for calling again (she’d made it home this time and had started breakfast), she was concerned that the technician who had checked the car previously hadn’t noted what I had found. She took down my comments that I had written on my report and advised now that she had been appraised.

So it was time to finally drive off into the morning sun and find my way around Kalgoorlie. With the Visitor Guide and Map I had picked up at the Information Stand inside the Terminal, I made my way up the main street (Hannan Street) and through the town. Early on a Sunday morning, the town wasn’t exactly alive with people.

Coming to the Goldfields Highway, I turned left and went past the Mt Charlotte Lookout and headed another couple of kilometres to the Mining Hall of Fame. Arriving just after opening (9.00am), I paid the entrance fee (I think it was $23, which gives you access to the entire site for the day). To quote the brochure:

The Australian Prospectors & Mining Hall of Fame offers the unique experience of combining a historic gold mine with interactive galleries, a changing display of art works.

The Australian Prospectors and Miners Hall of Fame is a Centenary of Federation project . Opened by the Prime Minister on 30 October 2001, the complex is a valuable icon for prospectors and miners of Australia and reflects the importance of an industry that contributes enormously to the social and economic wealth of our nation.

The concept of developing the museum was raised by a group of prospectors in the mid 1990’s. With support from the mining industry the “concept” grew into a detailed project and gained acceptance at corporate and community level. Over $21 million ws raised to plan, design, build and manage the new interactive facility…

The Tour Times are:

9.00am Open
9.30am Gold Panning Demonstration
10.00am Underground Tour
11.00am Gold Pour Demonstration
11.30am Gold Panning
11.30am Theatrette – The Prospectors
12.15pm Underground Tour
1.30pm Gold Pour Demonstration
2.15pm Gold Panning
2.15pm Theatrette – The Prospectors
2.45pm Underground Tour
3.45pm Gold Pour Demonstration
4.30pm Close

Time to chose what I wanted to do – so with time at a premium, straight into gold panning area, where an old miner showed a small group (another 3 people had shown up) how the initial gold rush prospectors used a wide-mouthed pan to find alluvial gold. After dredging up a couple of cans full of dirt, he then showed how to add water to the pan and sluice it around in a circular motion, expelling the lighter dirt and rubble and explained how gold (being heavier) sinks to the bottom. Time for us now to see whether we had learnt anything – did we have the knack of panning with the best? Well, needless to say, I didn’t find any gold specks, but then again, there had been thousands of people panning the same dirt for years.

Not surprised, I thought it was probably time to head over to the Underground Tour, where another long-term miner took us down underground in a cage built for 4 people – where you didn’t have a lot of personal space. We travelled slowly down, ending up 36 metres below the earth and stepped out in a cavern, barely 8 foot high and lit with electric lights.

There we were given a complete background of the mine:

Durham Longford Doolette first applied for the Hannans North Mining Lease was originally applied for on 1 November 1893. It has changed hands frequently since it first opened and was last mined on a full-time basis by BHP in 1952.

In 1992, Homestake Gold of Australia Ltd and Kalgoorlie Lake View Lrd (represented by Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines Pty Ltd) took over the lease to construct and operate a tourist mine for the Eastern Goldfields and the city of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

The original mine staft was worked with pick, shovel, wheelbarrow and winch for its first 10 years of operation. The main shaft hs a depth of 395 metres and visitors today can explore the first level at 36 metres below the surface.

The Hannans North Lease was gifted to the Australian Prospectors & Miners Hall of Fame Ltd on 3 May 2000

Disconcertingly, there was a wall-mounted cabinet showing all the different types of explosives that were used previously in the mine. Explore we did, going through the narrow passages (that started out being generous but the further we went, they were getting smaller - being 6'2" was detrimental here, as I had to hunch over as we walked between the separate caverns). We were shown different items in each cavern, like a working drill (definitely block your ears in the confined space) or the open slit mining that they use to take out the gold-laden quartz vein.

Lindsay Wilson welcome back to Oz and thanks for the report :D . But what is all this stuff about special & low fat meals :?: I thought you were real skinny anyway :eek: . I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your TR 8) .

Lindsay Wilson, this is a great trip report although a little freaky as I too have flown from Perth to each of Broome, Kalgoorlie, Sydney and Brisbane in the last 6 months. One suggestion for next time you are in Perth during the winter months - take a trip to Broome and spend a day swimming and relaxing on Cable Beach (the left side of the 4WD access if you wish to wear bathers, the right side clothing optional :oops: ) it is the best beach in the world. My family and I spend a couple of weeks each year doing just that.

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Very good trip report Lindsay.

Lindsay Wilson said:
However, the local Hertz rep, Jess, was excellent – real country personal service. As I wasn’t sure about whether I was going to arrive, I hadn’t booked anything. Jess gave me the use of the Corolla she had been driving (had to get her groceries out of the boot) and only charged me $30 for the 2 hour hire – still cheaper than using the local taxi service (assuming there was one). Plus it gave me another 1,000 QFF points!
I am confused as to how you got 1000 QFF points for a 2 hour car hire. Is that to do with your status @ Hertz? I understood it to be 3 QFF points/$1 spent on time and kilometre charges only!!

Lindsay Wilson said:
For those who aren't familar with Kalgoorlie (as I wasn't), it's a mining town...not somewhere you'd think to go, but I'd always wanted to see what a mining town was like. I've been to Mount Isa, but had never been underground or spent any time looking at mining operations. This was my chance to experience it. After some research, I had decided to hire a car and firstly, go to the Mining Hall of Fame (where I could go underground on a tour), then go to see a working pit mine (both about 2kms from the main street, so neither were out of the way).
My one and only visit to Kalgoorlie was for my cousin's wedding back in about 1991 I think. He arranged for the maintenance foreman to take me on a personal tour underground. We spend about 3 hours touring the Mt Charlotte mine in his Toyota Landcruiser. It was most interesting.

JohnK said:
I am confused as to how you got 1000 QFF points for a 2 hour car hire. Is that to do with your status @ Hertz? I understood it to be 3 QFF points/$1 spent on time and kilometre charges only!!

No, you're not the one who's confused...that's me (I don't rent often, so maybe I was thinking back to the good 'ol days or confusing driving with flying; or even trying to hire a bus - maybe I'd get more points for that?? :twisted: ). Looks like you are the one who has the correct information.

NM, I don't think KGI or the mines have changed that much since you were there. I didn't get to Mt Charlotte.

Now to finish the TR.

Lindsay Wilson said:
No, you're not the one who's confused...that's me (I don't rent often, so maybe I was thinking back to the good 'ol days or confusing driving with flying; or even trying to hire a bus - maybe I'd get more points for that?? :twisted: ). Looks like you are the one who has the correct information.
Thanks for clearing that one Lindsay. I thought you may have figured a way to earn more QFF points from car rentals.

I have earned between 200-400 QFF points/rental the few times that I have rented a car.

Great report so far Lindsay

Any chance of the next instalment before my next long flight?

Working on it tonight I have it all written out as it was easier to do it that way, than try and put straight to Word as I was doing the trip. Too many short sectors.

Will get around to putting in links and pictures perhaps on Sunday.

Great write-up Lindsay - really well written (you ever thought about being a writer?)

I noticed that when you checked in for your flight to Perth, you handed your driver's licence:

I slid across the counter my QFF card and licence advising the female CSA that I was off to PER. She swiped my card, retrieved my booking and handed me back my BP with seat 1F.

Interesting - I only ever give my QFF card and have never been asked for ID. It has often led me to wonder whether anyone abuses the system by getting others to travel on their own name to give them the benefits of tier/status plus earn more SCs/points...

I also noticed that on entry to the QC you flash both your boarding pass and QFF card:

I flashed my BP and QFF card and with barely a glance from the CSA, was allowed entry to my sacred hideaway from the throng of travellers downstairs

Personally I only ever show my BP since that has status printed on it - don't notice too many people pulling our their QFF cards lately...

Just curious.

Must say your description of business class from Brisbane to Perth was spot on - it is just beautiful - I always enjoy some Port (I like it as an apertiff) and a bit of sticky wine with my ice cream for desert... :)

JOBU

Good point. For domestic flights (in NZ or oz) I only show QFF card at check in and also at lounge - no other ID necessary IME.

Jobu said:
Great write-up Lindsay - really well written (you ever thought about being a writer?)
Thank you, Jobu. Believe me, yes I have. End of last year I was really seriously considering becoming a travel writer. I read a lot of TR's on Flyertalk to help me.

Regarding the DL @ Check-in and QFF card @ QP Reception, that's just me following the rules as set out by QF (blame me being a Virgo). I find it no more effort to pull out both, as it does one. Then I give no opportunity for them to question who I am.

Yes, I know of some who do the flights on one card (including a father and son with the same christian name initial, so the card printed Mr J Citizen is correct for both). Without checking the DOB in the QFF records (which they don't have time to do), there is no way the CSA @ Check-in would know the difference.

Still got some good flights to come and I'll get to writing them up...been a busy first (full) week back and many emails to catch up on.

Kiwi Flyer said:
Good point. For domestic flights (in NZ or oz) I only show QFF card at check in and also at lounge - no other ID necessary IME.
Same here.

In fact as an SG I deliberately only showed my Card upon entering QP's as my mini protest having lost the perks of Emerald status around the turn of the century.

(Actually, I was also doing a statistical analysis of which QP's checked my BP or swiped my card the most rigorously. :wink: )

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back