Update on my QF98 A321XLR saga…
A little update on my QF98 situation, as a few people here asked me to let you know how I went with Qantas.
Well… it’s been interesting.
We originally bought 3 Business tickets from MNL to SYD back in June for travel on 7 Feb 2027.
Then in July I happened to fly QF98 from Manila to Brisbane myself. I was in Economy, but it was an A330 and obviously I saw the Business cabin.
Later we decided Brisbane made more sense for our family plans, so on 24 August we changed the 3 existing Business tickets from MNL–SYD to QF98 MNL–BNE. We actually paid extra to make the change.
At the time I honestly had no idea that our Feb flight was going to end up with the A321XLR and the recliner Business seats.
I only found out later.
That was when I thought… hang on. Nearly 8 hours overnight in Business and no lie-flat seat??
I know an aircraft type is never guaranteed and I have nothing against the A321XLR itself. My issue has always been the Business product. If I’m paying Business fares for an overnight flight of this length, being able to actually sleep is a pretty big part of it.
So I contacted Qantas Customer Care.
They actually replied and acknowledged in writing the planned change from the A330 to the A321XLR, and also acknowledged that we had been expecting lie-flat Business on the overnight flight.
They told me to contact Reservations to see what alternatives they could offer.
Instead of spending hours on the phone, I decided to just go down to the Qantas Manila office and speak to someone face to face.
The lady there was actually very helpful. She explained that the Manila office didn’t have the authority to approve what I was asking for, so she sent it up to HQ.
A couple of days later she came back to me.
Qantas has agreed, as a one-off, to waive the change fee if we change to:
MNL–SYD–BNE
instead of:
MNL–BNE
So that’s a step in the right direction and I do appreciate it.
But… there’s a catch.
We still have to pay the fare difference, tax adjustment and local service fee.
It works out at PHP 16,894 per person, or PHP 50,682 for the 3 of us, approximately over AUD 1140 ++
That’s the bit I’m struggling with.
We’re not changing our travel date.
We’re not changing our destination.
We still need to get to Brisbane.
The only reason we’re asking to go via Sydney is because we didn’t know when we changed the tickets in August that QF98 would end up with recliner Business seats.
And we already paid extra once to change our original MNL–SYD tickets to QF98!
So now we would basically be paying again to go back through Sydney because of the Business product on QF98.
And then there was this…
When I went into the Qantas Manila office, I saw this sitting on the counter:
“Connecting you from Manila to Brisbane”
and underneath it says the flights operate with the Airbus A330.
[SEE THE ATTACHED PHOTO, DATED TODAY 9/30/2026]
I had to laugh when I saw it.
Obviously I understand aircraft can change and I’m not saying Qantas guaranteed me an A330.
But you can probably understand why the A321XLR recliner Business product wasn’t something I was expecting when we moved our tickets onto QF98.
QF98 was advertised here with the A330, I personally flew it on an A330 in July, and then in August we paid extra to move our existing Business tickets onto QF98.
Anyway, I’ve gone back to them and asked if HQ will reconsider the fare difference as well, rather than just waiving the change fee.
I’m really not looking for compensation or anything like that. I just don’t think we should have to pay another AUD 1000++ between the three of us just to get to the same destination on the same day with a lie-flat seat on the overnight sector.
Let’s see what they say…
Will update again when I hear back. And thanks again to everyone here who gave me advice earlier — it’s actually been really helpful.
