Qantas scraps Adelaide to Auckland flights

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by littl_flier, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. littl_flier

littl_flier Active Member

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    Just noticed this:

I seem to remember somebody mentioned the other day that the Air NZ flights were going so well they were making these daily? Is QF's "failure to meet expectations" due to QF pricing themselves out of it on what would surely be a leisure market, or more an issue with QF's lack of aircraft and a need to free them up for different routes.

2. Altair

Altair Active Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Wellington
    It is a shame. I do not know what the prices were compared to NZ but I believe the flight is operated by Jetconnect with a 737-300. THis means that QF NZ aircraft so not really an aircraft issue unless QF NZ is going to add another NZ domestic flight.

3. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    watch the AIR NZ fares increase now ;)

4. Soundguy

Soundguy Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Rudd's Banana Republic
    Yeah, well what's to surprise? The unofficial state slogan isn't "SA - the backward state" for nothing. Even TAS gets 3 Qantas ports, SA scores one.

5. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Maybe Kiwi Flyer can shed some light on the two questions (about the low yields on QF and how the AirNZ yields are going)...

6. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I don't think I can shed any light. NZ loads have been good, to the extent of using daily 767s for a while.

NZ fares AKL-ADL are significantly higher than to MEL/SYD/BNE. Not sure how QF fares compare.

Wonder what the jetconnect a/c currently used for ADL run will be used for instead?

7. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    There's an interesting post on this topic by number_6 'over' on FlyerTalk: Qantas To Axe ADL-AKL

To summarise, having AKL as a Hub gives NZ a great advantage over QF when is comes to ADL.

I guess it's a similar situation with PER for NZ, although not as great.

8. Reggie

Reggie Established Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    AKL-PER-AKL I hope.:rolleyes:

9. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Would be nice, but somehow, I doubt it.

10. Reggie

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    I'm sick of having to fly via Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane to get to NZ (nice for SC's though) with QF. However the NZ overnight PER-AKL is more painful, have done it twice and try and avoid it now. AKL-PER on NZ isn't too bad other than no status on *A.

Go the QF - NZ alliance

11. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I have a suspicion that the current JetConnect planes wouldn't have the range (esp with headwinds) to do the route.

However, couldn't find the 737 base spec's page at Boeing to confirm properly.

12. Reggie

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    Might have to stop in ADL on the way over then, which sort of defeats the purpose. However, selfish me is mainly only interested on PER-AKL, not too worried how they get it AKL-PER

13. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    But they would have been able to operate AKL-ADL-PER. Could have killed 2 birds with one stone. Oh well!

14. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I would be surprised if they had not considered this option, and decided that they would get better returns doing something else with the aircraft.

15. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Not with a 737-300 they won't. In fact I expect they were weight limited operating AKL-ADL direction much of the time. AKL-AD is similar distance to SYD-PER and back when QF operated 737-300 to PER, even MEL-PER was often a struggle for them. There were regular splash & dash stops in ADL for the SYD-PER ops.

16. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Air New Zealand to replace lost Qantas flights

Air New Zealand to replace lost Qantas flights - Travel - smh.com.au

17. dajop

dajop Senior Member

Jul 1, 2002
    SIN
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Re: Air New Zealand to replace lost Qantas flights

Interesting dynamics that * alliance seems to make ADL work for them. SQ can make with a daily ADL-SIN , and NZ now going for six weekly ADL-AKL. I guess they can tie these in with a huge range of destinations at SIN & AKL, whereas all QF can offer is LHR/FRA (SIN) & LAX/WLG/CHC (AKL),

18. d15.in.oz

d15.in.oz Member

Nov 28, 2006
    I figure the Adelaide international market is a spoke, best worked from the end of a super hub – SYD, AKL, SIN… (Limited mid-market point to point carrier opportunities, perhaps Bali?)

Of course domestically, there is an east-west mining $ hub opportunity, which takes the Bight out of flying via Perth!

19. Soundguy

Soundguy Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Rudd's Banana Republic
    Took this flight yeaterday; it was about 35% full from my estimate, so probably not a good money spinner for QF. One of the ancient 737's (which are kinda nice as they have good legroom), didn't know they carried that much fuel but it got there! :)