Qantas is voted best for IFE

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Yada Yada, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F

WTF??????? :eek:

2. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    How Qantas beat Cathay, I will never know!!

Qantas' system doesn't work half the time!

3. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Because the judging criteria had nothing to do with reliability, and everything to do with content. Those UK folks like the Aussie sit-coms.

4. clifford

clifford Established Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Canberra / London
    You mean Kath & Kim, then?

And what about SQ? Best AVOD I've come across, followed by TG's A345's. QF - very limited selection, unless you like Kath and Kim (which I do).

5. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    I'd agree - the IFE is really good, I can't complain with the content whatsoever. I've been pretty lucky not having any malfunctioning units so far though - fingers crossed!!

6. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The Qantas mag is also reasonable reading, and I believe that was also judged as part of the entire package.

The "radio" stations are also good in my opinion. Definately a nice mix to suit the tastes of most pax.

(As for AVOiD, yeah it's crap. But hopefully will improve!)

7. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Yeah, I guess so. Those poms have strange taste.
    I am not a K&K fan. And I often find myself sitting watching the flight path because I can't find anything more interesting to watch. Its a good thing I carry a swag of MP3s of The Goon Show on my PPC when I travel :D .

8. Febs

Febs Established Member

Aug 15, 2006
    HKG
    I completely agree. I've had nothing but fantastic experiences with QF's VOD. Much better than a non-VOD system IMO. :)

The CD library is fantastic too. Set a playlist, put the headphones on, go to sleep. Perfect. :)

Cheers,
    - Febs.

9. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Regardless of the reliability of the new equipment, I would say that QFs IFE is pretty decent. I havent sampled a lot of different carriers recently, but comparing it against BA and AA, it easily wins. How it stacks against every other carrier I don't know.

Dave

10. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Even ignoring the major reliability issues the content on QF is nowhere near as good as it should be. How many movies are scheduled for trans-tasman flights that you cant actually see through to the end? Selection is relatively limited and poor IMHO, especially compared with the huge libraries that SQ and EK have. Even compared with more modest libraries on NZ, LA, CX, etc QF comes up poor.

11. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    I think it must be pretty hard to judge the IFE between airlines as there are so many variables - AVOD, Int'l, Dom, Trans-Tas, reliability - I found AVOD in J good but apart from that the IFE for me is pretty much irrelevant - repeated sitcoms - all too brief news segments. I rely on the stuff I have on my computer if I want to watch anything - always good to catch up on missed TV shows on a long flight.

12. browski

browski Established Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Melbourne
    The criteria must NOT include consistancy across the fleet.

Last week I flew Qantas Mumbai to Sydney (A330) - AVOD fantastic!
    I also flew Qantas Perth - Singapore (767) Rubbish.

I also flew the Jet Airways 737 from Sin-Mumbai Rubbish.

So I guess they just submit the AVOD specs on their best flight and then that's enough to satisfy the judges - even if the rest of the fleet has nothing better than the equivalence of "Pong".

13. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    It was a UK-based "competition" and QF only operates one type of aircraft into that market, the 747-400. We need to keep the competition scope on perspective when evauating the value and standing of such awards.

14. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    That makes it worse IMHO.

TG, CX, SQ, NZ, EK all have their best IFE on flights to/from UK. I've experienced all of these except TG and all better than QF.

15. dajop

dajop Senior Member

Jul 1, 2002
    SIN
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Agree totally. Whilst the QF AVOD system is quite good, I would say the volume and variety of films and TV programming, for example, on SQ's KrisWorld (AVOD) is much better than QF's relatively limited selection. As for audio channels I do have my favourites, but must admit I do miss my dose of Gisele Scales when not on QF!

The judging panel may explain the decision though .. international panel of judges drawn from the publishing, recording, and television/film industries evaluates all entries"
    What about passengers?? Aren't they the ones that are supposed to be entertained!!

In QF's favour also, I'd say it is pretty hard to beat QF's "The Australian Way", it would have to be the best mag around.

16. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    I guess appeal of content is very subjective. What one may think is interesting, another might die of boredom watching.... I know the CEO of our company who is heaps older (40 ish) always struggles to find a movie he likes, where as I'm in heaven with all the latest blockbusters on demand :p

17. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    I have found QF's entertainment system very consistent.3 international J legs in last 3 months and it hasnt worked once.The program looks great though.

18. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Last night on my PER-SYD flight, the movie shown was "Poseidon". I must say I found this somewhat inappropriate, as did a few other pax who I could hear talking nearby. I though disaster movies were generally avoided by the airlines?

And it's not like you can stop kids from watching it on a dom flight where there are screens mounted on the overhead lockers etc. Glad my kids were not on board.

19. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    As far as AVOD goes; This year, it's been working for me 5 out of 5 longhaul and 4 out of 6 on SYD/MEL Sectors. So I guess I have been lucky.

;)

(... looks furtively around for some wood to touch ...)

20. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    I always wondered about that restriction. Is it for kids that the limit is there or just the overly sensitive types?