Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
SkyTeam
Elite Plus
Star Alliance
Gold
The normal offer with the Qantas American Express Ultimate card is 55,000 bonus Qantas sign-up points. But I noticed that the "compare credit cards" section on the Qantas website is advertising a sign-up offer of 120,000 Qantas points + 120 status credits.

Clicking through from the Qantas website takes you to this page, which has the offer advertised. It says you would need to apply by 15 June 2021 and spend $4,500 on the card within 3 months to earn the bonus points & status credits.

Annual fee is $450 and comes with an annual $450 Qantas travel credit.

Nice offer. The timing doesn’t work out for me but if a similar offer comes up later in the year I would consider it.

Good to see a non Qantas Money card offering SC again - has been a while since we've seen one. Hope this promo carries across to the Amex Referral program.

I'm about to close my Qantas AmEx Discovery card - opened for bonus miles several years ago.
Of course, promises to myself to close that card upon receipt of the miles were ignored. ;)

Getting back on track now and am interested in this offer. Am I eligible for this if I've recently closed down a Qantas AmEx Discovery Card? I suspect the answer is no and that I need to wait 18 months but am hoping someone can confirm.

Am I eligible for this if I've recently closed down a Qantas AmEx Discovery Card? I suspect the answer is no and that I need to wait 18 months but am hoping someone can confirm.

No, but my advice: when you call to cancel Amex will ask why you are leaving. Tell them you are planning to take advantage of a sign-up bonus with another issuer (ANZ has a comparable promotion if you want to name drop), and wouldn't have left if you were eligible for the Qantas Ultimate promotion. You may need to directly ask if they have any card upgrade promotions which you would be eligible for.

You are unlikely to get the full 120k points + 120SC, you might get 60-80k points and possibly some SC. But given it's a card upgrade it shouldn't trigger a credit check and it would save you the hassle of a formal application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back