Predictions of when international flights may resume/bans lifted

DC3

Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Some of the wild guesses in this thread have been interesting to follow. I hope that they will keep flowing. 😉

Possibly the best subscription service on the planet, designed specially by whisky lovers for whisky lovers. Join the club to grow your collection and drink great whisky.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Tiki

oznflfan

Every state seems to be mellowing, even NT only a few weeks ago stated every part of the state must reach 80% before changes happen, yesterday cam out poo pooing that in that some parts won't ever get to 80% and commented can't let some parts stop the majority from enjoying new found freedoms. DRW to LHR a godsend as this will loosen international rules.

yohy?!

Established Member
Qantas
Silver
Presumably the borderforce entry permit will just be updated to capture vaccine proof and then to enforce the daily cap for unvaxxed

jakeseven7

Solutions
She is not coming on strong enough. She needs to name the date the borders are permanently open no matter what (no more snap lockdowns) and implement some kind of vaccine passport like what NSW is doing. Qlders who are still straggling need some kind of fire lit under them.

As if she’s going to do that now, she’s halfway out the door. Don’t let it hit you on the way out mate ;)

ayushamity

Interesting article. Anyone got any hope of the feds getting their cough together in 2 weeks? lol.

I notice Sinopharm also gets a mention. Better recognise that if they want the chinese students coming in.

Pom-DownUnder

She is not coming on strong enough. She needs to name the date the borders are permanently open no matter what (no more snap lockdowns) and implement some kind of vaccine passport like what NSW is doing. Qlders who are still straggling need some kind of fire lit under them.
I agree, but have to look at it on the understanding she was the 'dont get vacc i dont want you to die' approach

Berlin

Established Member

Interesting article. Anyone got any hope of the feds getting their cough together in 2 weeks? lol.

I notice Sinopharm also gets a mention. Better recognise that if they want the chinese students coming in.
Can't read the article due to paywall but it's the number one issue I've been talking about for a week now: How the heck are they going to verify those wildly different vaccination certificates? I've heard that this is even an issue within Europe as soon as one wants to travel outside the EU member states. How will this work down here?

sydneyboi

Intern
Can't read the article due to paywall but it's the number one issue I've been talking about for a week now: How the heck are they going to verify those wildly different vaccination certificates? I've heard that this is even an issue within Europe as soon as one wants to travel outside the EU member states. How will this work down here?
Ima actually really worried about this as well.... still no update on the worldwide certificate that Australia has been working on...

burmans

Solutions

Maybe that’s the real reason behind the push back on tourists?

33kft

Established Member
Solutions
I'm not sure why it should end up being such an issue? Sure a unified system would be nice but we haven't even achieved that for passports and they have been around a long time. Some countries might not co-operate because their standard and only their standard is sufficient, but we're also seeing global relaxation of measures, and this is really much ado about a largely short term (certainly compared to passports) process that should be as easy as showing a vaccination certificate that complies with the minimal global standard for verification and be done with it.

sjk

For those hoping to fly to Japan soon I note that while detected infections are now way lower than in Australia even in absolute terms as the fifth wave fizzles out, government modeling (some of it ours) is pointing to a sixth wave peaking at around 34,000 hospitalizations.

Lots of talk of potential language barriers in the healthcare system and the like... I wouldn't be in a hurry to take that family ski trip, anyway.

drron

Veteran Member
Solutions

Well they have recognised Sinovac.
If you want Sinopharm recognised better get on to the Chinese to supply some results.
  • VE against symptomatic infection (surrogate for transmission) of 50% and 79% from two studies.
  • No studies are available to determine VE against severe infection/hospitalisation
Based on published and pre-print data this suggests that the efficacy of BBIBP-CoV against symptomatic infection is slightly lower than Australian-approved vaccines, and there is currently no assessment of protection it offers against severe-infection/hospitalisation.

rock86

Established Member
We were at a funeral on Friday after a sudden passing, as with so many, a lot of family couldn't make it due to borders - so seeing this announcement by NSW was a good positive on a bad day. It is a move that will force the hand of most other states, just maybe not WA.

Given the changing tide to border closures up this way, the rhetoric the Qld Government have been using the past few days already flagged a change in position, after all they don't want to be losing voters, but this will really forces their hand.

Ummm hello we are building massive quarantine centres with our rich donors in the middle of nowhere why won’t anyone come visit us 😂

If your referring to the brothers up the range, they are the furthest thing from being Labor Donors. They're smart, they'll get a facility likely built for free which probably will hardly get used, and will very likely be used privately with Inland Rail construction and it is right next door to the Qantas training facility which is to be expanded....

As for the Government, it is just incomprehensible that would pay for this, any normal person could see this was built way too late and would hardly every be used - but really, is it at all surprising that a government project will be a waste of few million, it's usually the norm.

PineappleSkip

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
How the heck are they going to verify those wildly different vaccination certificates? I've heard that this is even an issue within Europe as soon as one wants to travel outside the EU member states. How will this work down here?
I expect Australia will do what they are already doing, getting airlines to do the verification at checkin. Last time I returned I had a Somali test certificate that failed some of the detail in the exacting requirements of health.gov.au. The checkin clerk got as far as "test certificate" and my name and I was never asked for it in Australia

Data point for you, Azerbaijan claims in TIMATIC to require a "digital certificate with QR code", and in fact the signs over the immigration counters specifically mentioned this. I handed over my epic fail Australian certificate and the customs person didn't even blink.

A commendable application of common sense in both cases.

BTW I have heard of others having endless problems with cafes, restaurants etc in some countries because of lack of QR code. But so far my green google pay certificate has worked fine. So it seems to vary.

Cheers skip

Amanad78

Intern
That's good.
The article also states: Foreign nationals can have the Australia certificate linked to their passport if they received the vaccination in Australia
Hopefully that will be an easy enough process and ok to have it linked to more than 1 passport.

Telemachus

Intern
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
That's good.
The article also states: Foreign nationals can have the Australia certificate linked to their passport if they received the vaccination in Australia
Hopefully that will be an easy enough process and ok to have it linked to more than 1 passport.
The answer is yes, we will be able to have an international certificate linked to more than one passport. This issue was addressed in evidence to the Senate Covid-19 Enquiry on 30 Sep: covered upthread at post #10,811 with link to my source material.