Posting time

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
More a question for AFF or anyone else that may know. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

The time now is 3:43am yet the posting time appears as 4:43am.

I thought AFF was setup in Australia, if so what time zone is it?
 

swissbignose

Member
Joined
May 5, 2003
Messages
146
Points
0
The posting time is set by the "Timezone" setting in your profile.

You'll find that it probably says "GMT + 11 hours".

Click on the "Profile" link at the top of your screen...
 

BlacKnox

Active Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
735
Points
0
Let's test this. It's 8.30am in Fukuoka, Japan now. It's 9.30am in Brisbane, Australia now. My profile records I live in Japan. So the posting time says...
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Here I was expecting a question about how long for points to post after flying xx :D
 

QF WP

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
17,832
Points
1,570
Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Platinum
JohnK, looks like swissbignose and BlacKnox are correct.

Strangely, although your comment says:
The time now is 3:43am yet the posting time appears as 4:43am.
Your posting time according to the top of your post says:
Posted: 02 Oct 2005 03:43

Maybe it was the late hour that made you think you saw it was an hour later :oops: - quite an all-nighter you put in (looking at your posts wlsewhere on the Forum last night).
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,628
Solutions
12
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
JohnK said:
More a question for AFF or anyone else that may know. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

The time now is 3:43am yet the posting time appears as 4:43am.

I thought AFF was setup in Australia, if so what time zone is it?
Check your time setting; it's too early for Daylight saving to start yet... unless you live in Tassie :wink:
 

swissbignose

Member
Joined
May 5, 2003
Messages
146
Points
0
Lindsay Wilson said:
Strangely, although your comment says:
The time now is 3:43am yet the posting time appears as 4:43am.
Your posting time according to the top of your post says:
Posted: 02 Oct 2005 03:43

I'm pretty sure that the bulletin board is quite smart so that no matter what the poster has sees, the reader will see the time as it pertains to their timezone.

For example, if person A lives in The Land of the Fluffy White Sheep, they would have their Timezone set to GMT +12, and might post something at 4:00 p.m. Kiwi time, but person B living in the Land of Oz would see it being posted at 2:00 p.m. (assuming their Timezone is set to GMT +10).

Wanna test it out? Just set your Timezone to something different, and you'll see all posting times adjust accordingly.

Pretty cool. But makes total sense.
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,006
Solutions
4
Points
1,425
Lindsay Wilson said:
JohnK, looks like swissbignose and BlacKnox are correct.

Yes, it does look that way. Learn something new every day.

Appears swissbignose is correct in saying that it may be the profile being set up with the wrong timezone in it.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Lindsay Wilson said:
JohnK, looks like swissbignose and BlacKnox are correct.

Strangely, although your comment says:
The time now is 3:43am yet the posting time appears as 4:43am.
Your posting time according to the top of your post says:
Posted: 02 Oct 2005 03:43
Here is what it says on my laptop at the top of this thread Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:43 am Post subject: Posting time .

swissbignose said:
The posting time is set by the "Timezone" setting in your profile.

You'll find that it probably says "GMT + 11 hours".
I just checked my profile setting and it set to GMT + 11 hours!!!! Is that because when I joined it was EDST in Sydney and has not been adjusted since. Should I have to adjust my profile on AFF to coincide with the true EST/EDST in Sydney? My laptop adjusts it's own time automatically. :? I have just changed my profile and the time displays correctly. Thanks swissbignose .

Lindsay Wilson said:
Maybe it was the late hour that made you think you saw it was an hour later :oops: - quite an all-nighter you put in (looking at your posts wlsewhere on the Forum last night).
I am not a morning person unless I am playing golf. Since I did not have a game of golf scheduled today I was up quite late last night (went to sleep at 5:00am) keeping an eye on the very sad developments in Bali and working on my status run guide.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,454
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
All the more reason to live in Qld where our clocks don't wear out from being moved forward and backwards every few months.
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,006
Solutions
4
Points
1,425
NM said:
All the more reason to live in Qld where our clocks don't wear out from being moved forward and backwards every few months.

I'll just have to fly the flag for WA, where we also don't indulge in moving times on our clocks.
 

tuapekastar

Established Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2005
Messages
4,458
Points
720
When I am not logged in to AFF the post times display correctly (eg. for MEL GMT+10).

When I am logged in to AFF the post times display as one hour ahead of current time (eg. GMT+11).

My profile says GMT+11 so that explains it...I joined Mar 16, during daylight savings, and no auto adjustment occurred when we moved off daylight savings. I guess. :?
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
tuapekastar said:
When I am not logged in to AFF the post times display correctly (eg. for MEL GMT+10).

When I am logged in to AFF the post times display as one hour ahead of current time (eg. GMT+11).

My profile says GMT+11 so that explains it...I joined Mar 16, during daylight savings, and no auto adjustment occurred when we moved off daylight savings. I guess. :?
At least I am not the only one that has the "posting time" problem. :D

Don't forget to change your profile again in a few weeks. :? We move forward while QLD & WA stay backward as usual. :p 8)
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Kiwi Flyer said:
Here I was expecting a question about how long for points to post after flying xx :D
Sorry to dissapoint you Kiwi FLyer. :oops:

I know how much you were looking forward to reading about another posting problem. :D
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,006
Solutions
4
Points
1,425
JohnK said:
tuapekastar said:
When I am not logged in to AFF the post times display correctly (eg. for MEL GMT+10).

When I am logged in to AFF the post times display as one hour ahead of current time (eg. GMT+11).

My profile says GMT+11 so that explains it...I joined Mar 16, during daylight savings, and no auto adjustment occurred when we moved off daylight savings. I guess. :?
At least I am not the only one that has the "posting time" problem. :D

Don't forget to change your profile again in a few weeks. :? We move forward while QLD & WA stay backward as usual. :p 8)

I understand Tasmania has already moved onto Daylight Saving, so I guess they are leading the country.
 
Combining a phone charger and phone holder our Magnetic Wireless Car Phone Charger quickly charges your phone while driving without tangled cords!

Suitable for car dashboard air vent installation, our wireless phone charger makes phone calls and GPS navigation easier more convenient.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
oz_mark said:
I understand Tasmania has already moved onto Daylight Saving, so I guess they are leading the country.
:? :oops: :? :oops: :arrow: :idea:

May have to put an exclusion clause into my forward theory. :D
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,006
Solutions
4
Points
1,425
Tasmania and New Zealand??

Gotta do something about those southerners
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,454
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
I will admit that when I first read this thread I thought it was going to asking about how much time we each spend posting on this board each day/week/month/lifetime :oops: . Now that could prove embarrassing.

Profile timezones make for a much more interesting topic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Community Statistics

Threads
87,540
Messages
2,150,577
Members
54,525
Latest member
geogatedproject345@gmail.
Top