Ozjet opens lounge, considers FF scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,386
Points
1,065
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17842761%5E23349,00.html

"And despite continued industry scepticism about its prospects, the airline has launched its first lounge and is considering a frequent-flyer program."
...
"Its new lounge facility in Melbourne, called Ozlounge, offers check-in services, hot and cold drinks, snacks, reading material and a large plasma television screen."



Also, if you visit the Ozjet website, they have a press release which discusses things a little more and talks about their 100% On-Time performance achievement for the last month http://www.ozjet.com.au/media/release19.htm

Who's going to do the first lounge review???
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Going from one australian FFP to the prospective of three in the space of a few months - can only be good.
 

BlacKnox

Active Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
735
Points
0
Mal said:
"And despite continued industry scepticism about its prospects, the airline has launched its first lounge and is considering a frequent-flyer program."
...
"Its new lounge facility in Melbourne, called Ozlounge, offers check-in services, hot and cold drinks, snacks, reading material and a large plasma television screen."
This is a good start, though I fear still not enough. IMO one needs to take more positive action then simply considering a FFP. As experience has taught others, one cannot dip their toes into the airline industry ocean; it's either sink or swim.

Mal said:
Who's going to do the first lounge review???
Not me :( . Won't be in MEL again till April.
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,474
Solutions
6
Points
1,440
Mal said:
"And despite continued industry scepticism about its prospects, the airline has launched its first lounge and is considering a frequent-flyer program."
...
"Its new lounge facility in Melbourne, called Ozlounge, offers check-in services, hot and cold drinks, snacks, reading material and a large plasma television screen."


"OzJet has been considering the introduction of a frequent flyer program with an announcement imminent of a program that will enable companies and individuals to register as members and enjoy the benefits of the program across their domestic travel requirements."

Companies????? Now there's a wrinkle for you. Will the points accrue to the company?
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
A number of airlines have loyalty schemes for business that operate independently of the FFP for the traveller. Its really just an alternative to corporate discounts (or rather offer a lower discount than otherwise).
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Positive news from ozjet. :) As Kiwi Flyer mentioned another FFP for Australia can only be better for competition.

Now just to get some passengers on flights.
 
M

MetroAir

Guest
Just get them up to BNE !!!

Expanding the route (although understandably commercialy governed) would help fill those 'planes, I'm sure.

I understand the value of the SYD-MEL route but theres a lot of us that aren't going only between those cities and aren't going to change airlines to do so.
 

N860CR

Established Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
4,692
Points
840
I'll do the honors of the lounge review.

Located beneath the OzJet/Rex gates at Melbourne is a small area with a few closed off rooms (OzJet Admin stuff I'd imagine) and a decent sized public lounge area, AKA OzLounge. There are a few sofa chairs scattered around with some small drinks tables, a work desk for those who want to get serious and a lounge area with a large Plasma TV. There is an OzJet staff member at the "check-in counter" where they issue boarding passes and collect checked luggage. Next to this is a fridge stacked with drinks (free for OzJet pax of course), a coffee machine, a basket of apples and a pile of newspapers.

The OzLounge is accessable via a lift from the terminal, however it also has its own outside entry doors so OzJet passengers don't even need to go into the main terminal building. There is also an OzJet Business Carpark (for flight passengers) right next to the OzLounge so one could park there car, check-in and be on the plane in less than 5 minutes. I was unable to see any sign advising of the parking fee's (I'm guessing that's not a freebie).

As the aircraft began to board, the OzLounge staff member asked all the passengers to make their way to the gate for immediate boarding. Straight up the lift, through the quick OzJet/Rex security and onto the aircraft very quickly.

As for the flights (I took two with them today), they can only be described as excellent. Qantas Domestic Business needs a very quick, very large revamp if they want to keep up with O7. I'd happily sacrifice 1250 frequent flyer points (saving about $600 at the same time) for the vastly superior service offered on the O7 flight. Great seats, very professional staff (although, being used to the DJ crew they seemed a little unfriendly) and excellent catering on both flights (including a very generous drinks service on the evening flight home).

10/10 for OzLounge and OzJet. My flights today were at 75% and 50% capacity so hopefully things are on the way up!
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
I would hope ozjet flights are running at reasonable load given the huge discounting going on.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
danielribo said:
As for the flights (I took two with them today), they can only be described as excellent. Qantas Domestic Business needs a very quick, very large revamp if they want to keep up with O7. I'd happily sacrifice 1250 frequent flyer points (saving about $600 at the same time) for the vastly superior service offered on the O7 flight. Great seats, very professional staff (although, being used to the DJ crew they seemed a little unfriendly) and excellent catering on both flights (including a very generous drinks service on the evening flight home).

10/10 for OzLounge and OzJet. My flights today were at 75% and 50% capacity so hopefully things are on the way up!

Many thanks, danielribo. I'm planning to travel with O7 on my next SYD-MEL trip in the next week or two.
 

mick

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
378
Points
165
Yada Yada said:
I'm planning to travel with O7 on my next SYD-MEL trip in the next week or two.

Yeah, same here. For $249 return, I couldn't go past 'em. I was unable to get the flights I wanted with QF for anything less than $370 - and that's in Y class! I'm willing to give 'em a go.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
I wish there was some decent competition for AKL-WLG vv to the cosy duopoly that QF and NZ are.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
Kiwi Flyer said:
I wish there was some decent competition for AKL-WLG vv to the cosy duopoly that QF and NZ are.

Perhaps this is something Virgin/Pacific Blue should consider. They sure as hell fixed up duopoly pricing from QF and AN on domestic routes in Australia. :)
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,474
Solutions
6
Points
1,440
Yada Yada said:
Kiwi Flyer said:
I wish there was some decent competition for AKL-WLG vv to the cosy duopoly that QF and NZ are.

Perhaps this is something Virgin/Pacific Blue should consider. They sure as hell fixed up duopoly pricing from QF and AN on domestic routes in Australia. :)

I thought Compass fixed that up. Didn't help Compass I or II though.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
oz_mark said:
I thought Compass fixed that up. Didn't help Compass I or II though.

Yes, well I guess they did start it, but I recall the pain of seeing SYD-MEL prices skyrocket as soon as YM went belly up. :( At least DJ have maintained their low pricing even after AN disappeared.
 
Possibly the best subscription service on the planet, designed specially by whisky lovers for whisky lovers. Join the club to grow your collection and drink great whisky.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
44,085
Solutions
19
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Yada Yada said:
oz_mark said:
I thought Compass fixed that up. Didn't help Compass I or II though.

Yes, well I guess they did start it, but I recall the pain of seeing SYD-MEL prices skyrocket as soon as YM went belly up. :( At least DJ have maintained their low pricing even after AN disappeared.
If I observed correctly, during the era post Ansett and pre DeathStar, Virgin Blue used to keep their oneway prices only a dozen or two dollars under QF's; thereby occupying a nitch that enabled good profits.

The advent of JQ in the mould of a 'true' LCC has caused DJ some issue (Fuel costs not withstanding).
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,474
Solutions
6
Points
1,440
serfty said:
Yada Yada said:
oz_mark said:
I thought Compass fixed that up. Didn't help Compass I or II though.

Yes, well I guess they did start it, but I recall the pain of seeing SYD-MEL prices skyrocket as soon as YM went belly up. :( At least DJ have maintained their low pricing even after AN disappeared.
If I observed correctly, during the era post Ansett and pre DeathStar, Virgin Blue used to keep their oneway prices only a dozen or two dollars under QF's; thereby occupying a nitch that enabled good profits.

The advent of JQ in the mould of a 'true' LCC has caused DJ some issue (Fuel costs not withstanding).

Yes, Qantas certainly have DJ in a bit of a pincer movement
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
Although according to recent reports, DJ's yields are increasing and it is selling a decent amount of business fares (higher priced flexible fares).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Top