OW Explorer FF and SC Record

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Chucksta, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Chucksta

Chucksta Active Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Australia
    What's the record SC and QFF points earn for a AONE4 and/or DONE4 originating from Australia?

I'm interested because I am planning a AONE4 next year. I'm thinking of spreading the trip over my membership year so I can get platinum membership for 2 years.

Also, hopefully I can get a few sectors on an A380 next year... would be amazing to go first class.

thanks

Chucksta

2. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #2 serfty, Jul 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
    As a DONE4 the following will earn the traveller 2360 SC's and up to 150,000 QFF points (after taking 'loyalty bonuses' into account).
    Code:
    MEL-LHR-DXB-LHR-LAX-DFW-SEA-DFW-ANC-DFW-JFK-HKG-CMB-HKG-NRT-HKG-AKL-MEL-PER-DRW-MEL
    You can get another 40 SC's with a bit of tweaking (e.g. MCT rather than DXB is one).

Base cost (without the +++) from MEL as a DONE4 is currently ~AUD9600, I have been doing the a similar route, but starting and finishing in CMB. Current cost from Sri-Lanka is ~AUD6800. (+++ is the same at about AUD1200 for both ex Oz and S/L).

There is a wealth of information in the FlyerTalk oneWORLD forum. Here's a good sample thread: RTW ticket, longest routing's ?? (You'll recognise some handles ;) )

3. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    The 150,000 points is for a platinum and requires QF codeshares on CX flights.

Actually there are a few new long OW routes so it may be possible to get a few more SCs and points.

Note however generally the route optimised for SC will differ from that optimised for points and will differ from that optimised for the F experience.

Almost certainly you can do better on a DONE4 that does not include south west pacific (with south america instead).

4. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Actually, it is still > 150,000 even if you start as a QF NB. Also need to use a BA codeshare HKG-AKL and AA JFK-HKG, both on CX metal.

5. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #5 serfty, Jul 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
    And that would put paid to starting in MEL.

6. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Or PER per the OP. But then not too hard to get from PER to a cheaper origin in Asia.

7. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    My upcoming DONE5 isnt as well optimised as serfty's DONE4 for several reasons.

Some locations I need to be on particular dates - so a couple of short flights included (not worth doing as separate ticket due to misconnect risk) and can't take advantage of a rule exception which would net me a lot more SCs and points due to the extra 2 days it would take to do it (due to schedule).

My trip just misses the seasons for both ANC and LAX-SJU so I only have 1 long north america segment (LAX-BOS).

No availability for one route despite waitlisting for months. No prospect of it clearing (no I'm not talking about flights to US) so changed routing to one with availability.

Not making full use of available flights - while I have 20 coupons I could combine 2 as a single flight number and use an extra flight in australia or trans-tasman. My schedule doesn't make it easy to work in without risking misconnect (on separate ticket).

Note that DONE4 is the most cost effective in terms of $ per SC or $ per point. More continents or AONE4 has worse cost.

8. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    FWIW my DONE5 will be

AKL-syd-sin-lhr-mct-lhr-BCN-lhr-lax-ord-ELP-ord-lax-BOS-dfw-EZE-scl-IPC-scl-lax-AKL

For not much more than simple AKL-scl-EZE return

9. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    A more efficient DONE5 routing is

AKL-ADL-SYD-LHR-MCT-LHR-ATH-LHR-LAX-ORD-LAX-BOS-DFW-ANC-DFW-SCL-CCS-SCL-JFK-SYD-AKL

10. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Greece is included in Eastern Europe. :-|

11. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Sorry I was too lazy to look it up.

Catania and Reykjavik appear to be the only >1200 mile destination from London that isnt on the list of "only 2 of these flights". Both are flown by BA from LGW I think.

So AKL-ADL-SYD-LHR-MCT-LHR//LGW-CTA (or KEF)-LGW//LHR-LAX-ORD-LAX-BOS-DFW-ANC-DFW-SCL-CCS-SCL-JFK-SYD-AKL