Oneworld Classic Flight Reward Discussion - The Definitive Thread

Trying dummy itinerary is a thing to do validation especially if you're doing weird edge case stuff.

Booking an actual dummy flight has no purpose unless its booking the economy version of the flight you intend to take anyways (and then hoping business opens up later).
 
Agree with Mr H, book as they become available.

Are you going to originate in Australia? (but waiting for availability?) If you are going to eventually originate in Australia I believe if you add a dummy domestic flight - say MEL-SYD - that will price the itinerary in Aussie dollars, which makes it easier when you make changes down the track.

Someone please correct me if that’s bad advice! 😳

When you are adding sectors, the ones to watch out for per madrooster are:

QF, JL, AA, BA, Fu, AY, AS are fine. They won't cancel that quickly.​
QR, AT, IB, MH, CX can cancel quite quickly, as quickly as 2 hours.​
​
So if you have any airlines in the second row you need to get ticketing asap.
I ended up finding dates and flights that work for me so I was able to book one of my trips in one go! But originating in Tokyo so I actually paid in Yen, hoping that won't cause too many issues when I add flights later 😣.

I plan to get myself to Tokyo on a separate flight then do the following:

14/08/27 NRT - HEL - FRA (AY)
02/09/27 HEL - ICN (AY)
03/09/27 ICN - HKG - PER (CX)

This actually used less points than needed for OWA so I'm going to try adding flights for a second trip in Feb 2028. Are there any flaws in this plan?

I am worried about my CX flight. Is it possible to have the agent finalise ticketing while I'm on call with them?
 
I ended up finding dates and flights that work for me so I was able to book one of my trips in one go! But originating in Tokyo so I actually paid in Yen, hoping that won't cause too many issues when I add flights later 😣.

I plan to get myself to Tokyo on a separate flight then do the following:

14/08/27 NRT - HEL - FRA (AY)
02/09/27 HEL - ICN (AY)
03/09/27 ICN - HKG - PER (CX)

This actually used less points than needed for OWA so I'm going to try adding flights for a second trip in Feb 2028. Are there any flaws in this plan?

I am worried about my CX flight. Is it possible to have the agent finalise ticketing while I'm on call with them?
It might not be possible while you’re on the call, but you should mention to the agent that you have a Cathay flight, and that you’re aware the ticket can cancel if not completed with a couple of hours.

You then monitor and call back an hour later, etc.

Depending on your final flight and if you reach the OWA cap, you can include your flight from AU to Tokyo for no extra cost in points…. if you can find availability!
 
Hi everyone, looking for some advice on what to do with my RTW booking which hasn't been ticketed. I called up about 2 hours ago to add some flights but never received the e-ticket confirmation and RJ manage booking website isn't showing any e-ticket either.

I tried contacting [email protected] only to get a response that the email has been decommissioned and is no longer monitored.

I have a couple Cathay flights which sounds like they can be an issue if not ticketed within a couple hours. I tried calling 131313 but they basically said it'll take 24 hours and just wait. So frustrating as I know in 24 hours it'll be even harder to get them to fix it!
 
Hi everyone, looking for some advice on what to do with my RTW booking which hasn't been ticketed. I called up about 2 hours ago to add some flights but never received the e-ticket confirmation and RJ manage booking website isn't showing any e-ticket either.

I tried contacting [email protected] only to get a response that the email has been decommissioned and is no longer monitored.

I have a couple Cathay flights which sounds like they can be an issue if not ticketed within a couple hours. I tried calling 131313 but they basically said it'll take 24 hours and just wait. So frustrating as I know in 24 hours it'll be even harder to get them to fix it!
I would call the number back again and say the Royal Jordanian tickets are subject to immediate cancellation. Can they please push the ticketing while you wait on line.

Explain that your last ticket failed and all the flights had to be rebooked.
 
Hi everyone, looking for some advice on what to do with my RTW booking which hasn't been ticketed. I called up about 2 hours ago to add some flights but never received the e-ticket confirmation and RJ manage booking website isn't showing any e-ticket either.

I tried contacting [email protected] only to get a response that the email has been decommissioned and is no longer monitored.

I have a couple Cathay flights which sounds like they can be an issue if not ticketed within a couple hours. I tried calling 131313 but they basically said it'll take 24 hours and just wait. So frustrating as I know in 24 hours it'll be even harder to get them to fix it!
Just call again and reiterate that you can't wait 24h for an e-ticket as the Cathay and Royal Jordanian flights might be lost in a couple of hours. Say you're happy to wait to get it done rather than potentially calling back tomorrow without your flights.

Please don't contact the rewards escalation until things actually disappear - and it the email is decommissioned, its probably from having it being abused too much without it being an actual problem for them to fix.
 
@AFF Editor can you please ask Qantas how QFF members are now supposed to obtain expedited assistance with reward ticketing?
Hopefully, it's just internalised and escalated only internally instead of publicly.

If I were to guess based on how I've seen that email be spread and told to be used, too many people crying wolf would be my guess.
 
Elevate your business spending to first-class rewards! Sign up today with code AFF10 and process over $10,000 in business expenses within your first 30 days to unlock 10,000 Bonus PayRewards Points.
Join 30,000+ savvy business owners who:

✅ Pay suppliers who don’t accept Amex
✅ Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
✅ Earn & transfer PayRewards Points to 10+ airline & hotel partners

Start earning today!
- Pay suppliers who don’t take Amex
- Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
- Earn & Transfer PayRewards Points to 8+ top airline & hotel partners

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Hopefully, it's just internalised and escalated only internally instead of publicly.

If I were to guess based on how I've seen that email be spread and told to be used, too many people crying wolf would be my guess.
If Qantas was run properly people wouldn't need to cry 'wolf' just to get things that shouldn't go wrong rectified.
 
I tried contacting [email protected] only to get a response that the email has been decommissioned and is no longer monitored.
Terrifying news coming from someone who has used the email multiple times for OWA ticketing issues. They've always successfully actioned it for me.

I did try Facebook Messenger recently, and boy they are slow. So I don't see that as a good replacement.

I will say phone support has certainly improved over the last 6-7 years I've been booking OWAs.
But the ticketing part is where they consistently say "it's in the queue, nothing I can do".
 
Terrifying news coming from someone who has used the email multiple times for OWA ticketing issues. They've always successfully actioned it for me.

I did try Facebook Messenger recently, and boy they are slow. So I don't see that as a good replacement.

I will say phone support has certainly improved over the last 6-7 years I've been booking OWAs.
The ticketing part is where they consistently say "it's in the queue, nothing I can do".

"it's in the queue, nothing I can do".

And yet they can, found some flights home from the states for my upcoming OWA last night, phoned up and spoke to a young person who to start with wasn't aware you could even add flights to an existing booking but went ahead and got it done. I explained to him the importance of getting my eTicket and voila, were in my inbox within a couple of minutes. I checked my phone, 21 minutes from starting the call to having everything done including eTickets received.

Best outcome ever and I've booked plenty of these over the last 15 years. It clearly can be done but, the problem really is the operator not willing to go that extra mile.
 
"it's in the queue, nothing I can do".

And yet they can, found some flights home from the states for my upcoming OWA last night, phoned up and spoke to a young person who to start with wasn't aware you could even add flights to an existing booking but went ahead and got it done. I explained to him the importance of getting my eTicket and voila, were in my inbox within a couple of minutes. I checked my phone, 21 minutes from starting the call to having everything done including eTickets received.

Best outcome ever and I've booked plenty of these over the last 15 years. It clearly can be done but, the problem really is the operator not willing to go that extra mile.
Actually I shold probably add.

I do remember one instance many years ago where I said I'd stay on the line until it got ticketed. And the phone operator sent an internal message to the ticketing team. Took a bit but they did get it done.

And more recently, despite saying it's in the queue, it did come through pretty quick (less than an hour).

So maybe they have generally improved their processes
 
Actually I shold probably add.

I do remember one instance many years ago where I said I'd stay on the line until it got ticketed. And the phone operator sent an internal message to the ticketing team. Took a bit but they did get it done.

And more recently, despite saying it's in the queue, it did come through pretty quick (less than an hour).

So maybe they have generally improved their processes
I think it depends on the ticket, the airlines, and whether it requires a manual review. This could be all sorts of reasons.

If yours is one of the tickets requiring ‘review’ it’s in the queue.

Most of my OWAs have been fairly simple, and have ticketed almost instantly. I’m not sure the ‘review’ mechanism has been resolved.
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top