No longer booking QF from MEL to various destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dajop

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
13,029
Solutions
3
Points
1,345
The other day I went online to book on QF MEL-TSV, and takes you straight to Jetstar site. Used to be able to book fares (with convenient timetables) via SYD or BNE,

<rant warning>
Today went to look at fares to DRW and now it also just takes you to the Jetstar site - which is just plain STUPID. If I wanted to book on DEATHSTAR and get to Darwin at 2am I would. If want to pay some extra $$ to go via SYD and arrive at a decent hour, get a free feed, movie, ff points, some extra legroom on a 4.5 hr flight and "at leisure" boarding - LET ME!! Why is Qantas so squarely focussed on the Sydney market and leaves the rest of Australia to Jetstar? 3.5million people live here in MEL , still a sizeable population. <end rant>
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
As oz_mark mentioned just use the red edeals page when searching for fares. Just select the city of departure and as long as mainline QF flies to the destination via some other airport the fares will be displayed.

I can see MEL-SYD-TSV, MEL-BNE-TSV and also MEL-SYD-DRW, MEL-BNE-DRW or MEL-ADL-DRW as late as next years flights.

The only time you won't see a city to city pair is if it has totally been replaced by Jetstar and there are no indirect flights via QF.
 

dajop

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
13,029
Solutions
3
Points
1,345
JohnK said:
As oz_mark mentioned just use the red edeals page when searching for fares. Just select the city of departure and as long as mainline QF flies to the destination via some other airport the fares will be displayed.

Well that's logical .... NOT. I would have thought it would have been logical programming to send people (who are looking for special fares) from the red edeals page to the Jetstar booking engine, and not from the home page or main "bookings" page.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
dajop said:
Well that's logical .... NOT. I would have thought it would have been logical programming to send people (who are looking for special fares) from the red edeals page to the Jetstar booking engine, and not from the home page or main "bookings" page.
I agree that it's a worrying trend. Infrequent flyers probably don't care about the colour of the plane and are simply focused on the best price, but many of us do care, so to force a redirection to Geoffstar is a bit much IMO. :(
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
44,064
Solutions
19
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
dajop said:
Well that's logical .... NOT. I would have thought it would have been logical programming to send people (who are looking for special fares) from the red edeals page to the Jetstar booking engine, and not from the home page or main "bookings" page.
Actually if you look at this from Qantas' perspective of encouraging people to use Death
star.gif
it makes sense.

IMO, When Dan Fly-Once-a-year goes to qantas.com to book a flight they would be more likely to do a search from right there on the home page and, voila! Death
star.gif
. They wouldn't really know of the alternatives.

I feel qantas would have the red e-deals do this as well if they could; but probably can't due to perhaps breaking some consumer law or upsetting those regular fliers who prefer to fly Qantas rather than death
star.gif
.
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,468
Solutions
6
Points
1,440
serfty said:
I feel qantas would have the red e-deals do this as well if they could; but probably can't due to perhaps breaking some consumer law or upsetting those regular fliers who prefer to fly Qantas rather than death
star.gif
.

Until death
star.gif
have red e-deals, I doubt Qantas are in a position to have the red e-deal search page go there. After all, you are searching for Qantas red e-deals, and that is what the search results should yield.
 

dajop

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
13,029
Solutions
3
Points
1,345
oz_mark said:
Until death
star.gif
have red e-deals, I doubt Qantas are in a position to have the red e-deal search page go there. After all, you are searching for Qantas red e-deals, and that is what the search results should yield.

On the homepage and the Qantas "book flights" page I am looking for Qantas flights, not Jetstar flights. And likewise that is what the search results should yield - not a search of Jetstar flights. If I wanted Jetstar I'd go there, or I could click on a link after results are returned to search the Jetstar site (like it used to).
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
44,064
Solutions
19
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
As I inferred above, IMO it's simply a markenting ploy by QF to accustom the great unwashed to Qantas 'lite'. :rolleyes:
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
serfty said:
As I inferred above, IMO it's simply a markenting ploy by QF to accustom the great unwashed to Qantas 'lite'. :rolleyes:
I tried what dajop was referring to and it took me to the Jetstar site. I don't think anything on the QF site should be redirected to the Jetstar site unless the user wants to go there, eg confirmation via click of a button.

On this page there is no filtering of destinations based on departure city as is on the red edeals page. So I can select MEL-DRW and it takes me directly to Jetstar site or MEL-PPP and it shows a combination of both QF and Jetstar.

"Your return trip between Melbourne and Proserpine involves a flight on both Qantas and Jetstar. You will be required to collect your baggage and change airlines at Sydney
Booking 1: You will need to book your return flight between Melbourne and Sydney with Qantas below.Booking 2: You will need to book your return flight between Sydney and Proserpine with Jetstar below."

Personally I use the red edeals page and know that it will give me QF combinatons only. Maybe not for long!

Whether the function is the result of illogical programming is debatable. Sometimes dierectives for programming changes come from people who have no clue what is possible or the consequences involved. And yes I have worked with many of them in my time.
 
Frequent Flyer Solutions has reopened its highly-rated Award Flight Assist service!

The Award Flight Assist team takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,468
Solutions
6
Points
1,440
JohnK said:
Whether the function is the result of illogical programming is debatable. Sometimes dierectives for programming changes come from people who have no clue what is possible or the consequences involved. And yes I have worked with many of them in my time.

I doubt that it is illogical programming, and more that the Qantas marketing department (or possibly someone else in Qantas) have decreed it work this way. From what I can see, you end up on the Jetstar site if you choose a city pair that has a direct Jetstar flight, but no direct Qantas flight.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
JohnK said:
"Your return trip between Melbourne and Proserpine involves a flight on both Qantas and Jetstar. You will be required to collect your baggage and change airlines at Sydney
That would be a PITA - i.e. arriving at T3, collecting bags, and lugging them around to T2 on foot and standing in the wretched JQ check-in queue. Just fly DJ all the way.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Yada Yada said:
That would be a PITA - i.e. arriving at T3, collecting bags, and lugging them around to T2 on foot and standing in the wretched JQ check-in queue. Just fly DJ all the way.
LOL. But flying DJ does not get you QF SC's and FF points. :rolleyes:
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,468
Solutions
6
Points
1,440
JohnK said:
LOL. But flying DJ does not get you QF SC's and FF points. :rolleyes:

But it does get you Velocity points
 

dajop

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
13,029
Solutions
3
Points
1,345
oz_mark said:
But it does get you Velocity points

And all the way from MEL to PPP, not just on the MEL-SYD sectors.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top