New Sydney airport pickup rules

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Yada Yada, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    I saw how the new rules impacted on the domestic airport on Friday evening. And it wasn't good! :(

After getting off my flight in T2 and collecting my bag, I went outside to get a taxi. It was approx 10:30pm but there were quite a lot of people about. There was no queue for a taxi so I hopped in one and we left the curb. We rounded the bend and then abruptly stopped in front of the QF terminal. We then inched along very slowly. I asked the driver what the problem was - an accident perhaps? No he said... the new pick up rules. It took another (approx) 5 minutes before we reached the point just past the carpark where the right turn is located for cars that want to go around again. It was completely jammed up with cars waiting to get back onto the road in.

So this enforeced loop-the-loop rule has actually made the traffic worse than before!

2. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Now I wonder just how long it'll take them to work out the increased number of cars in the "loop" for longer exacerbates the problem, rather than fixing it.

Thanks Max!

3. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    It probably took the "traffic experts" who came up with that idea weeks and weeks of sitting round tables, lunching, etc etc.....

Missing ingredient - common sense.

4. thadocta

thadocta Active Member

Just do what I did last night, arrange to be picked up at the departures level, hardly anyone jostling up there waiting for someone to drive up and pick them up. Easy!

Dave

5. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    I like OOL's first 15 minutes in the car park free policy, used it a few times when dropping off the boss, pity SYD and BNE cannot do the same. And if you want to pick someone up from BNE, park in the aircraft observation area near the GA apron, much more interesting entertainment and you wont goet moved on by security!

6. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    In MEL, especially when it's raining I often get picked up in the Hire Car area underneath the Hilton. :twisted:

7. jasonja3

jasonja3 Member

Sep 12, 2005
    SYD
    Maybe I am too cynical, but this might be the prelude to having no pick up zone and being forced to use the carpark.

This is one of the downsides of privatisation.

8. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    As most of my pick-ups are at night, I did the same as thadocta (but in BNE) until BAC decided to dig up the driveway at QF domestic departures ...stuffed if I know what they are doing or what is taking them so long :? ...

Now the plan is collect bags, turn left out of the terminal and walk to DJ's departures....but can't wait to recommence the original plan. Don't want people to think I flew DJ :oops: :p

9. jasonja3

jasonja3 Member

Sep 12, 2005
    SYD
    Yesterday I did the same at Syd International and the security guard had the hide to abuse my wife saying this was departures not arrivals, and that everything was being caught on camera..............

Whatever....in the car and off we went. :roll: :roll: :roll:

10. Groundfeeder

Groundfeeder Active Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Brisbane
    Lindsay
    Good ol' BAC has now moved the drop-off area further away from the QF entrance. The drop off area is a shambles with three lanes of cars/cabs/buses depositing pax from LHS or RHS doors into the flow with marshals blowing whistles etc.

Overheard an interesting comment on radio the other day where parking fines levied by SYD or BNE airport companies are unenforceable as they are private companies. PARK WHERE YOU LIKE!!

11. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    I do this when my wife picks me up from SYD T1 and when visiting MEL. However when I'm on an inbound domestic flight to SYD I've either parked myself and will therefore end up in the middle of the wretched traffic jam when trying to exit, or I take a taxi which means using the arrivals level. :(

It might be easier to arrive & depart the domestic terminals via helicopter!

12. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I am sure SACL is considering ways to reduce the number of cars circulating in the loop while awaiting passenger arrivals. They must be considering imposing a toll of $2 per circuit so they can still gain revenue from people trying to avoid paying their parking fines (fees) for using the short-term carpark (the paid one, not the road circuit).

13. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Now I think back and realise that MEL has had a very similar feature for at least the last 18 months. There is a 20 metre space at the North End of the outer ground level road loop for picking up pax and it's always maxed out by 3 or 4 cars.

It's signed as two minute parking. Get this; it is at least a 90 metre walk from the nearest terminal exit doors .. .

Net result is we have the same in MEL at most times; a clockwise running loop of cars travelling very slowly; I guess we are used to it here.

14. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Blimey, imagine that. What a PITA. :x

Yes, MEL arrivals is a maze. The guy that works for me in Melbourne waits in his car on the ramp up to the departures level. He can sit in his car approx 30 metres from the closest door at the Virgin end of the building so it's not too bad, and the signs actually allow it.

15. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Yep I do this all the time, great to jump the cab queue in peak hour as well!

16. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    On my last trip to Perth I returned to Sydney airport at 3:00pm and the taxi ride home cost $35 (normally $25) as the taxi driver was trying to navigate through the M5 car park.

Judging by people's experiences on the new rules thus far I should expect that the next taxi trip from airport should cost me $45-$50 and a lot more time sitting in a taxi going nowhere.

Planes are delayed, baggage is delayed. All we need is for people waiting for arriving passengers to be going round and round in circles. There has to be another answer!

17. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Umm, Build another airport? :shock:

18. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Badgery's Creek, Lithgow, Central Coast, Newcastle, Goulburn!

How many more names before something is done?

19. thadocta

thadocta Active Member

It is actually illegal for a taxi to pick up at the departures levels.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/ptsr2001484/s70a.html

The only "taxi zones" are on the arrivals levels at SYD.

Dave

20. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Hardly any traffic at T3 yesterday morning. I suppose Saturday is not a busy day but nobody in the taxi queue at 9:00am so an easy ride home in my silver taxi.