Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

National Dishes - Kimchi, Irish Stew, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelvedon

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Apparently the national dish of England is now Chicken Tikka Masala! I guess that's an example of Internationalism.

kelvedon

Established Member
Flights
My Map
What's Australia's?
I'm struggling to think of a uniquely Australian dish that could be considered to be worthy of "national dish" status. Pavlova's New Zealand, Roast Lamb British, and I think we can do better than a Meat Pie.

Foreigner

Established Member
I'm struggling to think of a uniquely Australian dish that could be considered to be worthy of "national dish" status. Pavlova's New Zealand, Roast Lamb British, and I think we can do better than a Meat Pie.
I've come across this site which (over three pages) lists national dishes. It's a fairer list with several of each country. And you're right about chicken tikka masala...there it is under England's.

http://odyb.net/food-cooking/national-food-of-the-world/

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
I associate roast lamb with Australia, roast beef as British.

casanovawa

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Wichity grubs???

We're a relatively young country and brought most of the food we routinely eat to this country from others, so no surprise we don't have a distinctive national dish...

In some ways it also makes us freer to take the best bits from a whole range of cuisines and mix and match them rather than being stuck within the confines of some traditional way of cooking...

Ausbt

Established Member
If Poland can have Bigos, then there is no shame in Australia having the Chiko Roll as a national dish.

Warks

Established Member
Australian hamburgers as opposed to American etc would be a fair example.

With the lot of course. (cue comments about how pineapple is an obscenity on a burger...)

The Qantas Premier Platinum Card delivers up to 100k Qantas Points, 75 bonus Status Credits, complimentary lounge invitations and travel insurance. All this with a reduced first-year annual fee of $199.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

JessicaTam

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
May well be uniquely Australian, but is far from a national dish. Certainly not something I'd ever seen or even heard of growing up in Victoria at least until I visited Adelaide for the first time.
See, word is spreading.

kelvedon

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Australian hamburgers as opposed to American etc would be a fair example.

With the lot of course. (cue comments about how pineapple is an obscenity on a burger...)
Isn't Beetroot in hamburgers a uniquely Australian addition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyescraper