NAB is a farce - can't apply for new card online because I was a customer in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenhorn

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Just off a NAB merry-go-round while trying to apply for a card - what a waste of time.

I applied online for the NAB QANTAS REWARDS SIGNATURE CARD with 120,000 QF points. I thought it was strange I didn't receive any email confirmation for my application.

After waiting 10 days with no contact, I then contacted them about my application.

I was told that my application was auto-deleted because I had been a previous customer of NAB back in 2007 (which is possible, but I have no memory of it).

I was told by customer service that I need to apply again online and then choose 'existing customer' in the application.

So I tried again and then found that I need a customer ID number, which of course, I didn't have.

Called them again and (amazingly) got the same customer service person. I told him I don't have a customer ID and he said I would have to open a bank account to get an ID then I can apply online.

I said I don't want a bank account with NAB, I just want to apply for the card.

With no other way to apply online without a cutomer ID (because I was a customer briefly 12 years ago!) we came to the conclusion that I couldn't apply for a card online.

So NAB just lost me as a customer.

Who creates these idiotic processes?!

I applied for the Qantas platinum card as part of their wealth package. Got rejected, was told I’ve held too many cards and credit threshold was too high. At the same time, they’re offering me additional $1M loan to take up with them in case I wanted to build more houses, go figure how that logic works. Like you said, they’re idiotic -full stop.

I applied for the Qantas platinum card as part of their wealth package. Got rejected, was told I’ve held too many cards and credit threshold was too high. At the same time, they’re offering me additional $1M loan to take up with them in case I wanted to build more houses, go figure how that logic works. Like you said, they’re idiotic -full stop.

there is a big difference between secured and unsecured loans.
Plus new legislation requires banks to assess credit caard limits using a standard formula, if you dont qualify, then thats it. The bank has no choice anymore. You (the public) demanded this from the banking industry, some of it through a RC. sorry!

Just off a NAB merry-go-round while trying to apply for a card - what a waste of time.

I applied online for the NAB QANTAS REWARDS SIGNATURE CARD with 120,000 QF points. I thought it was strange I didn't receive any email confirmation for my application.

After waiting 10 days with no contact, I then contacted them about my application.

I was told that my application was auto-deleted because I had been a previous customer of NAB back in 2007 (which is possible, but I have no memory of it).

I was told by customer service that I need to apply again online and then choose 'existing customer' in the application.

So I tried again and then found that I need a customer ID number, which of course, I didn't have.

Called them again and (amazingly) got the same customer service person. I told him I don't have a customer ID and he said I would have to open a bank account to get an ID then I can apply online.

With no other way to apply online without a cutomer ID (because I was a customer briefly 12 years ago!) we came to the conclusion that I couldn't apply for a card online.

Under the Privacy Act organisations are required to remove personal information unless they have a legitimate reason to retain. There is indeed legal reason to keep info but only up to 7 years so I'd be asking them to delete such info they are holding. See APP 11.2

An APP entity must take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify the personal information it holds once the personal information is no longer needed for any purpose for which the personal information may be used or disclosed under the APPs. This requirement does not apply where the personal information is contained in a Commonwealth record or where the entity is required by law or a court/tribunal order to retain the personal information (APP 11.2).

Last edited:
....I applied online for the NAB QANTAS REWARDS SIGNATURE CARD with 120,000 QF points.........

........came to the conclusion that I couldn't apply for a card online.

I smiled a bit reading this :)

So you dallied with NAB once in a very brief manner, now you want to open a cc account for some QFF points, you certainly do not want to actually bank with them, and this is somehow wrong?

"NAB just lost me as a customer" ?? What do you mean?? When were you a customer??

Not being harsh, but if you owned NAB, do you think you would want yourself as a customer?

there is a big difference between secured and unsecured loans.
Plus new legislation requires banks to assess credit caard limits using a standard formula, if you dont qualify, then thats it. The bank has no choice anymore. You (the public) demanded this from the banking industry, some of it through a RC. sorry!
Any idea what that formula is? Keen to know to ensure I’m below that threshold before applying for another card in future rather than taking a hit on the credit check just to find out.

I smiled a bit reading this :)

So you dallied with NAB once in a very brief manner, now you want to open a cc account for some QFF points, you certainly do not want to actually bank with them, and this is somehow wrong?

"NAB just lost me as a customer" ?? What do you mean?? When were you a customer??

Not being harsh, but if you owned NAB, do you think you would want yourself as a customer?

Quite agree. What use is a “customer” who isn’t worth any money to a business?

However, we have been customers of NAB for 30 years and closed all of our Business & Personal Accounts (inc Loans & Investments) this year. A substantial loss to the local branch! The sheer incompetence and lack of responsibility was laughable. 3 separate complaints over 4 months to the Ombudsman and one serious breach of privacy (that we know of). We accepted cash payments to withdraw complaints.

......and, had a young girl in the NAB Business Call Centre offering me unsolicited and unqualified Financial Planning Advice on SMSF properties, when I was getting the titles released. Scary!

Last edited:
Reading this gave me a bit of a smile and reminds me of when I signed up to a Qantas credit card with NAB a few years ago.

A bit of a long story, so some background:
- I had a NAB Velocity credit card, and wanted to replace that one with the equivalent Qantas card
- I was on leave from my normal job in the city that day, and was hoping to do the transfer in the branch while I was around
- There is another NAB branch closer to my place of work
- There are also a few other NAB branches near where I live

I went in, waited in line, got taken to one of their open plan desks, and I told them what I wanted to do. Was told that they couldn't simply change my card type - I had to cancel my existing card, and sign up for a new Qantas one. I was a little skeptical, but sure, no skin off my back, I wasn't in a hurry.
Of course, the person I was speaking to couldn't cancel my card at their desk, and I had to line up again at the tellers and they would process my cancellation. Ok, whatever, I have time.

The teller tells me that they have cancelled my card, so I line up again to see the person I was speaking to before. I bring the brochure of the card I want (from their brochure stand next to the queue) to help them find the card I want to apply for. After a few more minutes of tapping away, they tell me it's all done, and where would I like it to be sent? I tell them it'd be good to send it to my home. They try that, but apparently they can't deliver to my home(?) and I have to get it delivered to a branch. I tell them I would prefer the one near my work, as the ones near my home are only open during business hours and I can't get to them while I'm at work (one is open on Saturday but is a bit harder to get to). Ok, all done (apparently).

A few days (a week maybe?) pass, then I get a message (can't recall if it was a call or some other method now), telling me that my card was ready to pick up..... from one of the branches near my home. Of course, they pick the one that's not open on Saturdays (although the other branch near me has since stopped opening on Saturdays after this story). I end up taking leave from work for an afternoon to go home and pick up my card from the branch near me. I go home, open the package.... wrong card!! They gave me the standard NAB rewards card 😩

Getting a bit frustrated now, so I call the call centre to enquire. I was asked "why did you do this, you should have just changed products from the Velocity card?"

🤬

Luckily(?) for me, the entire team at the city branch stuffed up, as it looks like the teller didn't even cancel my Velocity card properly! The call centre team promptly cancelled my "new" card, and put through a request for the (still active) Velocity card to be changed to a Qantas one.

The story would end there, but no....

I had to take another half day off to pick up the new Qantas card too ☹

Any idea what that formula is?

No I dont, but google knows, its been published everywhere.

Keen to know to ensure I’m below that threshold before applying for another card in future rather than taking a hit on the credit check just to find out.
waste of time even thinking about that concern. there is no hit that means anything to anyone, except perhaps someones ego because their fictional score fell by 1%

Getting a bit frustrated now, so I call the call centre to enquire. I was asked "why did you do this, you should have just changed products from the Velocity card?"
thats funny, the product change form is on the website. Fill it out, send it in, dont even have to talk to anyone.

Apply again as a new customer - if before you gave them a full name including a middle name, drop the middle name. Or add the middle name or initial if you normally don't use it.

Outsmart that computer.
Cheers,
Renato

Argh not sure why I bothered after the fiasco last time. Applied a week ago and got a message “we’ll call you within 2 days to confirm details”. Haven’t heard a word. I sense this is going to be painful again.

I’ve since given up and cleared out my entire portfolio. Previously zero initiative from their side to fix their oversights but got a call immediately when they received notification from another bank to release the mortgages. Told the person to read up on all the grievances on their call logs and to tell me if he would leave if he was the customer. There was a long pause before he replied. 🤣

Last edited:
Argh why did I bother!

Applied on 9/1 as mentioned above. Got the message “we’ll be in touch in a few days”. Never heard back so just applied for and received Citi signature instead.

Then today, weeks later, got an email this morning saying “congrats you’ve been approved with a 15k limit” and asked to send in two payslips and the card would be sent out in 5-7 days.

Do so... and now get another email saying “next step... fill out this “expenses” form and we’ll progress”. That was done during the application.... and it’s already been approved hasn’t it!

They clearly are still a joke!

I find NAB very good to deal with, but haven't recently applied for a new card.

As others mention, all the banks now have more stringent requirements, some of which must be burdensome administratively.

After not receiving a response to my “you’ve already got these details” emails, i just filled it all out again. Also spoke with someone at NAB about a week ago who said they’d “get applications to call tomorrow”. No call of course.

Received a text this morning saying “your card request has been approved”.

That’s about a month from application to approval. In the interim, citi managed to approve and send a card in a few days.

If it’s anything like the last NAB card I had, it’ll be a fight to get the bonus points now.

I can safely say they are the worst bank I’ve dealt with.

Citi is the only one to reach my banned list so far.

I’d usually agree.... but Citi managed to approve and issue within a week without a single follow up. I applied for the citi card after the NAB one and had it in my wallet and the 5k spent before NAB even contacted me. In fairness, I was surprised.

Help please! I closed the NAB credit card back in Jan 2019. In Nov 2019, I found out that the NAB card was marked as being active so I called NAB and was informed it was not active. Recently, I applied for a new credit card and again, the NAB card appeared as active. I have called NAB twice and have been advised there's nothing they could do which I find very hard to believe as other banks never had this issue . I was also told that this could still be listed as active for up to 5 years which is absolutely crazy. I asked who I could escalate to and basically been told, there's nothing they could do. Is this a job for the Ombudsman? Does anyone know who I could contact to have this looked into? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back