NAB is a farce - can't apply for new card online because I was a customer in 2007 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

NAB is a farce - can't apply for new card online because I was a customer in 2007

goldenhorn

AFF Supporter
Just off a NAB merry-go-round while trying to apply for a card - what a waste of time.

I applied online for the NAB QANTAS REWARDS SIGNATURE CARD with 120,000 QF points. I thought it was strange I didn't receive any email confirmation for my application.

After waiting 10 days with no contact, I then contacted them about my application.

I was told that my application was auto-deleted because I had been a previous customer of NAB back in 2007 (which is possible, but I have no memory of it).

I was told by customer service that I need to apply again online and then choose 'existing customer' in the application.

So I tried again and then found that I need a customer ID number, which of course, I didn't have.

Called them again and (amazingly) got the same customer service person. I told him I don't have a customer ID and he said I would have to open a bank account to get an ID then I can apply online.

I said I don't want a bank account with NAB, I just want to apply for the card.

With no other way to apply online without a cutomer ID (because I was a customer briefly 12 years ago!) we came to the conclusion that I couldn't apply for a card online.

So NAB just lost me as a customer.

Who creates these idiotic processes?!

Aeolus

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I applied for the Qantas platinum card as part of their wealth package. Got rejected, was told I’ve held too many cards and credit threshold was too high. At the same time, they’re offering me additional $1M loan to take up with them in case I wanted to build more houses, go figure how that logic works. Like you said, they’re idiotic -full stop.

theblank

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I applied for the Qantas platinum card as part of their wealth package. Got rejected, was told I’ve held too many cards and credit threshold was too high. At the same time, they’re offering me additional $1M loan to take up with them in case I wanted to build more houses, go figure how that logic works. Like you said, they’re idiotic -full stop.
there is a big difference between secured and unsecured loans.
Plus new legislation requires banks to assess credit caard limits using a standard formula, if you dont qualify, then thats it. The bank has no choice anymore. You (the public) demanded this from the banking industry, some of it through a RC. sorry!

burmans

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Just off a NAB merry-go-round while trying to apply for a card - what a waste of time.

I applied online for the NAB QANTAS REWARDS SIGNATURE CARD with 120,000 QF points. I thought it was strange I didn't receive any email confirmation for my application.

After waiting 10 days with no contact, I then contacted them about my application.

I was told that my application was auto-deleted because I had been a previous customer of NAB back in 2007 (which is possible, but I have no memory of it).

I was told by customer service that I need to apply again online and then choose 'existing customer' in the application.

So I tried again and then found that I need a customer ID number, which of course, I didn't have.

Called them again and (amazingly) got the same customer service person. I told him I don't have a customer ID and he said I would have to open a bank account to get an ID then I can apply online.

With no other way to apply online without a cutomer ID (because I was a customer briefly 12 years ago!) we came to the conclusion that I couldn't apply for a card online.

Under the Privacy Act organisations are required to remove personal information unless they have a legitimate reason to retain. There is indeed legal reason to keep info but only up to 7 years so I'd be asking them to delete such info they are holding. See APP 11.2

An APP entity must take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify the personal information it holds once the personal information is no longer needed for any purpose for which the personal information may be used or disclosed under the APPs. This requirement does not apply where the personal information is contained in a Commonwealth record or where the entity is required by law or a court/tribunal order to retain the personal information (APP 11.2).

Last edited:

juddles

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
....I applied online for the NAB QANTAS REWARDS SIGNATURE CARD with 120,000 QF points.........

........came to the conclusion that I couldn't apply for a card online.

I smiled a bit reading this :)

So you dallied with NAB once in a very brief manner, now you want to open a cc account for some QFF points, you certainly do not want to actually bank with them, and this is somehow wrong?

"NAB just lost me as a customer" ?? What do you mean?? When were you a customer??

Not being harsh, but if you owned NAB, do you think you would want yourself as a customer?

Aeolus

Established Member
AFF Supporter
there is a big difference between secured and unsecured loans.
Plus new legislation requires banks to assess credit caard limits using a standard formula, if you dont qualify, then thats it. The bank has no choice anymore. You (the public) demanded this from the banking industry, some of it through a RC. sorry!
Any idea what that formula is? Keen to know to ensure I’m below that threshold before applying for another card in future rather than taking a hit on the credit check just to find out.

ALH

AFF Supporter
I smiled a bit reading this :)

So you dallied with NAB once in a very brief manner, now you want to open a cc account for some QFF points, you certainly do not want to actually bank with them, and this is somehow wrong?

"NAB just lost me as a customer" ?? What do you mean?? When were you a customer??

Not being harsh, but if you owned NAB, do you think you would want yourself as a customer?
Quite agree. What use is a “customer” who isn’t worth any money to a business?

However, we have been customers of NAB for 30 years and closed all of our Business & Personal Accounts (inc Loans & Investments) this year. A substantial loss to the local branch! The sheer incompetence and lack of responsibility was laughable. 3 separate complaints over 4 months to the Ombudsman and one serious breach of privacy (that we know of). We accepted cash payments to withdraw complaints.

......and, had a young girl in the NAB Business Call Centre offering me unsolicited and unqualified Financial Planning Advice on SMSF properties, when I was getting the titles released. Scary!

Last edited:

pangwen

AFF Supporter
Reading this gave me a bit of a smile and reminds me of when I signed up to a Qantas credit card with NAB a few years ago.

A bit of a long story, so some background:
- I had a NAB Velocity credit card, and wanted to replace that one with the equivalent Qantas card
- I was on leave from my normal job in the city that day, and was hoping to do the transfer in the branch while I was around
- There is another NAB branch closer to my place of work
- There are also a few other NAB branches near where I live

I went in, waited in line, got taken to one of their open plan desks, and I told them what I wanted to do. Was told that they couldn't simply change my card type - I had to cancel my existing card, and sign up for a new Qantas one. I was a little skeptical, but sure, no skin off my back, I wasn't in a hurry.
Of course, the person I was speaking to couldn't cancel my card at their desk, and I had to line up again at the tellers and they would process my cancellation. Ok, whatever, I have time.

The teller tells me that they have cancelled my card, so I line up again to see the person I was speaking to before. I bring the brochure of the card I want (from their brochure stand next to the queue) to help them find the card I want to apply for. After a few more minutes of tapping away, they tell me it's all done, and where would I like it to be sent? I tell them it'd be good to send it to my home. They try that, but apparently they can't deliver to my home(?) and I have to get it delivered to a branch. I tell them I would prefer the one near my work, as the ones near my home are only open during business hours and I can't get to them while I'm at work (one is open on Saturday but is a bit harder to get to). Ok, all done (apparently).

A few days (a week maybe?) pass, then I get a message (can't recall if it was a call or some other method now), telling me that my card was ready to pick up..... from one of the branches near my home. Of course, they pick the one that's not open on Saturdays (although the other branch near me has since stopped opening on Saturdays after this story). I end up taking leave from work for an afternoon to go home and pick up my card from the branch near me. I go home, open the package.... wrong card!! They gave me the standard NAB rewards card 😩

Getting a bit frustrated now, so I call the call centre to enquire. I was asked "why did you do this, you should have just changed products from the Velocity card?"

🤬

Luckily(?) for me, the entire team at the city branch stuffed up, as it looks like the teller didn't even cancel my Velocity card properly! The call centre team promptly cancelled my "new" card, and put through a request for the (still active) Velocity card to be changed to a Qantas one.

The story would end there, but no....

I had to take another half day off to pick up the new Qantas card too ☹

theblank

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Any idea what that formula is?
No I dont, but google knows, its been published everywhere.

Keen to know to ensure I’m below that threshold before applying for another card in future rather than taking a hit on the credit check just to find out.
waste of time even thinking about that concern. there is no hit that means anything to anyone, except perhaps someones ego because their fictional score fell by 1%

theblank

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Getting a bit frustrated now, so I call the call centre to enquire. I was asked "why did you do this, you should have just changed products from the Velocity card?"
thats funny, the product change form is on the website. Fill it out, send it in, dont even have to talk to anyone.

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelFennell