Myer Leaving Fly Buys | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Myer Leaving Fly Buys

Status
Not open for further replies.

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,679
Flights
My Map
From: Bank happy with revamped loyalty scheme | Herald Sun


FLYBUYS points will no longer be available from Myer, but changes to the scheme mean that the rewards can be redeemed sooner.

The FlyBuys loyalty scheme, a joint reward program between National Australia Bank and Coles Myer, has about six million Australian members. The changes, which come into effect later this month, mean members will now need only a quarter of the previous number of points to claim awards.
For example, a reward that previously required 10,000 points, will now require just 2500.

A spokeswoman for NAB said customers had more to gain than lose from the changes, and that she expected more Australians to become members of the FlyBuys.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,165
Myer leaving was expected.

Flybuys could well be worth investigating now that points are worth 4 times as much as before.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
JohnK said:
Flybuys could well be worth investigating now that points are worth 4 times as much as before.
I didn't get that from the linked article, rather that the minimum redemption has dropped from 10,000 points to 2,500.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,165
Kiwi Flyer said:
I didn't get that from the linked article, rather that the minimum redemption has dropped from 10,000 points to 2,500.
Unless I am totally mistaken, members will now need only 1/4 of the points to claim awards. :confused:

Flybuys said:
The FlyBuys loyalty scheme, a joint reward program between National Australia Bank and Coles Myer, has about six million Australian members. The changes, which come into effect later this month, mean members will now need only a quarter of the previous number of points to claim awards.
For example, a reward that previously required 10,000 points, will now require just 2500.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,409
Flights
My Map
I have this feeling that points will become harder to earn ...

Currently (among other earning rates) you ... "earn 2 standard points for every $5 spent by shopping at Coles Supermarkets, Myer, BI-LO, Coles Express, Target, Kmart, Baby Target, Kmart Tyre and Auto, First Choice, Liquorland, Vintage Cellars, Liquorland Direct, Harris Technology ..." (from FlyBuys FAQs).

Indicative flight award levels are currently 22,000 FB points for a SYD-MEL return journey and 108,900 for SYD-HKG return.

I wonder what these will be in December.
 
Last edited:

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,165
serfty said:
Indicative flight award levels are currently 22,000 FB points for a SYD-MEL return journey and 108,900 for SYD-HKG return.
Assuming that points expire every 3 years and you earn 2 points for every $5 spent, without earning any bonus points, the SYD-HKG return would be very hard to achieve.

I will ask around if anyone knows what the new earning rates will be or if they will stay the same.
 

straitman

Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,829
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
Assuming that points expire every 3 years and you earn 2 points for every $5 spent, without earning any bonus points, the SYD-HKG return would be very hard to achieve.

I will ask around if anyone knows what the new earning rates will be or if they will stay the same.
Certainly needs a HUGE improvement to interest me again.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,679
Flights
My Map
I think it is just some bad phrasing in the reporting. FlyBuys is certainly introducing awards requiring fewer points (e.g. $20 vouchers), but not sure that otherwise the earn/burn rate is changing.
 

nagelixin

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
28
The new Myer Card and Myer One program are to be launched on Monday.

2 points per dollar on all purchases or
3 points per dollar if you purchase the item on your Myer Card. (Finance by GE Money)
 

Tiki

Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
479
I just hope they don't convert our existing points so they are worth 25% less. Otherwise, this is really good news since it currently takes 13,500 points for $100 back on the NAB Visa. I'm holding my breath for 3375 points = $100 cash back! Someone pick me up when I turn blue! :rolleyes:
 

nagelixin

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
28
The last change to the point structure they did change your points from memory...
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,679
Flights
My Map
I think the report confused things a bit.

$100 NAB and ColesMyer gift cards have been reduced to 12,500 points (down from 13,500 from Nov 6)

They have introdcued rewards with lower point requirements:

Redeem a $20 reward with only 2,500 points
$20 Coles Gift Card
$20 Kmart Gift Card
$20 Target Gift Card™
$20 credit to your linked NAB credit card

Redeem a $50 reward with only 6,250 points
$50 Coles Myer Gift Card™
$50 credit to your linked NAB credit card


The points were changed last restructure. You used to get 1 point for each $20 you spent, and 550 points would get you a mystery flight:!:
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,165
Tiki said:
I just hope they don't convert our existing points so they are worth 25% less. Otherwise, this is really good news since it currently takes 13,500 points for $100 back on the NAB Visa. I'm holding my breath for 3375 points = $100 cash back! Someone pick me up when I turn blue! :rolleyes:
I think you will find that your current points will not suddenly quadruple in value but rather you will require less points for rewards with any new points you accumulate.
 

coco50

Active Member
Joined
May 15, 2006
Messages
846
nagelixin said:
The last change to the point structure they did change your points from memory...
IIRC, when the last change was made to the points structure was made, you accumulated poits much quicker but need more to qualify for a reward - the relativities were sorta maintained. Needed this post to get off 187 - (200-13)
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,679
Flights
My Map
Got advised of the official date and Myer is pulling out of Fly Buys from 31 January, 2007.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,608
Messages
1,884,499
Members
49,495
Latest member
Namik
Top