My Lastest Encounter With CITIBANK - INTERESTING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick93

Established Member
It's probably well known to the 'regs' here...

I hate CB!!!! (for range of reasons)

However, I still hold a current GOLD card, with a fixed 6.9%pa "for the life of the loan" deal.

Now, I recently received an offer in the mail, to 'upgrade' to a PLAT card.
(Even though I had one only a year ago, and closed it!)

The form was pre - printed with my name and address, and a "$20,000." credit limit.

So, I rang them up.... "Hello Mr. xx_XX, how are you today" (think of the Filipino accent)

After going round and round for about twenty minutes, as you do with CB telephone staff (God bless them!)

I was offered a credit increase on my current GOLD card up to $30,000.

Now, the usual limit for GOLD is $25,000. the last time I looked?

The operator did say, it would take a phone call to my employer to confirm my stated income, and would go through in "five working days".

I don't need 'another' PLAT card, but the increased credit of up to $30,000. on my current GOLD card would be handy - given I can 'balance transfer' to my other cards, and only pay 6.9% for "the life of the loan"....

(no points on BT anymore, unfortunately.... wasn't that a great way to build up your total?)

regards,

DOOT IS GOING TO GIVE YOU A BRAND NEW CAR!
(once you pay for it)

I can see why you canned the plat card in the first place. Everyone is "pre-approved" for everything these days.. its a joke.really

Absolutely amazing!

I had a phone call from CB yesterday...

1. It was from a female I could perfectly understand, in terms of English spoken. (almost certainly from 'within Australia' too !)
2. She negotiated a 'compromise' with me, regarding documentation for a credit limit increase.

GOLD card limits are now up to $30,000. So, you don't need to go for PLAT. just to get a reasonable credit limit.

(I'm doing this for 'balance transfer' considerations - using low BT rates to escape high interest for my outstanding balance)

regards,

Here's another feel good Citibank story

My Bro is setting up a company in Thailand, and needed to transfer some AUD$ to THB over to his account in Thailand, also with Citibank.

Now, we are talking here about 2000THB so about $70 AUD, not much money, but the point of the exercise was to see how efficient the process was, before transferring a few thousand over.

He did the transfer online, and after 3 days got a call from Citibank confirming the transaction. He agreed to the trans and to the additional $25 fee.
The next day, another person rang, and the next day. In total he had 5 different people ring to authorise the $70 transaction.

After this, the 2000THB left on its journey to Thailand. But when it arrived only 1000THB was deposited. (Minus 200THB for incoming transfer) so 800THB.

He rang Citibank in AUS to ask why his transfer of 2000THB which was deducted from his AUS account was only 1000THB on arrival.

Citibank in AUS said that 2000THB was sent. They said it was a Citibank Thai problem. On calling and speaking to Citibank in Thailand, they said only 1000THB had arrived and sent him the SWIFT draft confirming this.

He has spoken to Citibank in AUS (Bangalore) 6 times and every time has had to re-explain what happened. Every time, they say a supervisor has to ring him back. None have to date.

He has come to the conclusion that the $35 was an important lesson, why he shouldn't use Citibank to transfer any money overseas again.

Amazing but true....

I have used ANZ Bank to transfer funds to my account in Thailand.
Not online but going into the branch. Whilst my bank in Thailand takes a small fee, probably of the 200 baht variety, forget what it was last time, have never had a problem with transfers.
Surely a cautionary tale with Citibank, in banking this is really such a simple transaction, there is no excuse for all the phone calls and the errors.

ric_melb said:
I have used ANZ Bank to transfer funds to my account in Thailand.
Not online but going into the branch. Whilst my bank in Thailand takes a small fee, probably of the 200 baht variety, forget what it was last time, have never had a problem with transfers.
Surely a cautionary tale with Citibank, in banking this is really such a simple transaction, there is no excuse for all the phone calls and the errors.
No worries with ANZ, last year I sent $8K to Sri Lanka to buy a DONE4.

I used internet banking.

Firstly a small amount to ensure it would wrk; I received a 'phone call from ANZ to confirm what I was doing. I adivesed it was a test and 10x the amount was to follow if successful.

No problemo and the transfers were successful.

I knew it was too good to be true!

Private Message on CB secure site.... "Please allow 5 - 7 working days for receipt of application forms....".

This is after being told on the phone, the credit limit increase would be approved if income details were faxed to them... it was.... they lost it!

Now, telling me to 'start all over again'....

UNBELIEVABLE! Actually, I do believe it.... it's Citibank!

regards,

CB is just 'unbelievable'....

Now, I've received a letter, stating, that the credit limit increase HAS NOT been approved.

This is despite being told via telephone, that it would be approved, if documents confirming income were to be faxed to CB. THEY WERE....

So, I ring up Manila, I mean CB 'customer service', and was informed, that I did not meet the 'criteria' for a credit limit increase....

Just can't work these people out !!!

I really wouldn't bother trying, if it weren't for the 'low interest' rate for the 'life of the loan' deal they are offering.

However, I'm awaiting another contact from CB, after sending a 'please explain' email.....

regards,

CB certainly has a problem but I don't think anyone in that org knows what it is.

A group of us is fighting a dispute with CB re the recent X'mas cashback on Ready credit account. Now I am reading what are posted in this area, with interest. I can't help but to share my experience.

I have been uising CB ReadyCredit for many years - courtesy of Diners Club. The reason has been simple - convenience. I need to write cheques occasionally. The CB chequebook is definitely handy especially when there's no fee imposed.

Then, I went to work in Malaysia for a few years. A local bank was quick to offer me credit cards with comfortable limits. At that time, I was still happy with CB in AUS. So, I applied for a CB card when I was approached.

I was shocked when CB Malaysia gave me a card with miserable MYR1000 limit. That was less than 20% my monthly salary. How in the world they worked that limit out ?

I tried to reason with CB. Basically, give me MYR10,000 limit or don't bother at all. They chose the latter.

Somehow, the CB marketing people simply couldn't leave me alone. They were everywhere - in the letterbox, e-mail and even supermarkets and shopping complexes.

I finally decided to humour them in a shopping complex. I ask them why I should apply again after the earlier experience. The response was, "Sir, you deserve Citibank." I nearly cracked up laughing. With a smile, I answered, "But Citibank does not deserve me." ... and walked away.

Why do I still retain CB in AuS ? Cheap cash and free chequebooks.

kaki said:
I ask them why I should apply again after the earlier experience. The response was, "Sir, you deserve Citibank." I nearly cracked up laughing. With a smile, I answered, "But Citibank does not deserve me." ... and walked away.
Hillarious. He/she must have been trained by the same people who train the Bombay call centre staff.

I'm not sure where else on this Forum it's been said, but, it looks like WE ALL have to watch our 'remarks'....

One or more of us have 'paid the price' for Freedom of Speech.

I for one, will be more 'careful'.

regards,

I had an interesting encounter with CB.

About 3 weeks ago, I decided to apply for CB Platinum (upgrade from Gold). Started with a gold card which was opened about 3 yrs ago, I made that application over the phone.

About 5 business days later, I rang in to check the progress of the upgrade, they said they never had my application so I redid the application. 5 days lost.

About 2 business days later, I decided to ring in wanting to know if they lost it again. Guess what? They did.... so I did my application AGAIN. 7 days lost in total.

About 2 more business days, they said they've got my application and in consideration. That's good... finally.... or so I thought.

About 2 more business days, I rang in and they said my application has been delayed because I was on a lower limit required for a Platinum Card so they had to apply for a credit limit increase and THEN, platinum.

About 2 more business days, I got told the limit increase is approved but the Platinum is pending.... waiting....

Finally today, I rang in again (2 days) and got told in her own smart-cough trademark quotes (must be an indian student), "I've got no indication that your limit has been approved or requested and your Platinum has been rejected because (here we go...) your limit is currently below the minimum required for a platinum. Would you like to close your account?"

Oh my God! What a breathtaking arrogance!

Anyway, I am thinking of closing that account and join the CPA Platinum Amex card instead. Luckily I've begun that process a week ago so shouldn't be too long now. 15 business days lost in total.

Some people just deserve to be sacked.

Cheers

Al.

I had an interesting encounter with CB.

About 3 weeks ago, I decided to apply for CB Platinum (upgrade from Gold). Started with a gold card which was opened about 3 yrs ago, I made that application over the phone.

About 5 business days later, I rang in to check the progress of the upgrade, they said they never had my application so I redid the application. 5 days lost.

About 2 business days later, I decided to ring in wanting to know if they lost it again. Guess what? They did.... so I did my application AGAIN. 7 days lost in total.

About 2 more business days, they said they've got my application and in consideration. That's good... finally.... or so I thought.

About 2 more business days, I rang in and they said my application has been delayed because I was on a lower limit required for a Platinum Card so they had to apply for a credit limit increase and THEN, platinum.

About 2 more business days, I got told the limit increase is approved but the Platinum is pending.... waiting....

Finally today, I rang in again (2 days) and got told in her own smart-cough trademark quotes (must be an indian student), "I've got no indication that your limit has been approved or requested and your Platinum has been rejected because (here we go...) your limit is currently below the minimum required for a platinum. Would you like to close your account?"

Oh my God! What a breathtaking arrogance!

Anyway, I am thinking of closing that account and join the CPA Platinum Amex card instead. Luckily I've begun that process a week ago so shouldn't be too long now. 15 business days lost in total.

Some people just deserve to be sacked.

Cheers

Al.

What I find amazing is when u call to cancel the card they just say
OK!
They spend all that money advertising to get a customer.
when that customer decides to cancel the card theres is no:

well what can we do to keep your custom mr tinky:confused:

mr t decided that it wasnt worth keeping with the 5000 bal transfer thing.

You don't need to threaten them with cancelling your card.

They cancelled my card a year ago by mistake. They could not reactive that card, and told me it would take a week to issue me a replacement card with a new card number. It took me a long time to find a staff who was Australian with Australian accent.

I asked her if they can do an emergency replacement or Express Post the card so I can get it in one or 2 days. (Cards are printed in Australia of course).

Her answer was no. I asked her what was I going to do for a week without a Citibank visa card. Her answer was go use my AmEx. :shock:

tinkybelle said:
What I find amazing is when u call to cancel the card they just say
OK!
They spend all that money advertising to get a customer.
when that customer decides to cancel the card theres is no:

well what can we do to keep your custom mr tinky:confused:

mr t decided that it wasnt worth keeping with the 5000 bal transfer thing.

I tried cancelling my Diners Club Card after I got a CB Plat card. I had no trouble cancelling the Qantas ANZ Gold Card. Rang Diners last week and they said someone would get back to me in 2 business days. This didn't happen so this a.m. I rang Diners again. I was connected with a CSO and he said that because I had been a good customer he would offer me double reward points and waive next year's fee. I think I'll take him up on that, although I really wanted to reduce to one card. I'll have to admit that I have been really happy with the Diners Card.

Anyway, how's that for keeping my custom:?:

I have a different take on CitiBank. When I worked in the US (late 1999 - mid 2003) I had an ANZ Gold, but wanted to get a US card as well.

That turned out to be difficult. In the end, only CitiBank would give me a card. Low credit limit, reasonable fee for a year, and after that they dropped the fee and substantially raised the credit limit.

Discussion with people who know a bit about the business made the reason clear. The Americans only care about your US credit history. Your Australian credit history counts for nothing.

After working in New York for a year, credit card offers literally poured in. I stuck with CitiBank.

As an aside, I had to use the free travel insurance that came with the ANZ Gold when I fell ill. It works. I incurred about three grand in health expenses. They (CGU) paid out the lot, less a couple of hundred dollars excess, and I didn't have to wait until I got home to receive a cheque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back