Making payments to a closed AMEX rather than current one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

Enthusiast
I recently did a BPAY payment on my Amex. Unfortunately I sent it to my closed Amex, not my current one. The old Amex was closed in Dec.

Looking at the Amex online site, it shows my old card as closed, but with a credit balance equal to what I paid.

Has anyone done something silly like this before? Will the money turn up in my real Amex account at some stage, or will it just keep sitting there in the closed account?

I think I'll have to end up writing a letter to Amex to try and get this resolved. I'm not sure it is something that they can easily resolve over the phone. Always fun! At least this time it is my fault, so it's not so bad :)

It _should_ find its way across to the correct account, but may be best to put in a call.

Re: Making payments to a closed AMEX rather than current one

Mal said:
I'm not sure it is something that they can easily resolve over the phone.

I think that you misjudge how many of we AMEX users make these mistakes and I think that a phone call should sort it for you.

Ta.

I'll leave it for another couple of weeks to see if the money moves by itself. If it doesn't then I'll try calling them up and seeing what can be done.

I know when I have been in the situation where one account is cancelled due to be being replaced by another, they sent me a letter telling me a whole pile of things about how it would work, and one the points was that they would monitor the cancelled account for a few months and move any transactions across to the new account.

It should be readily fixable if it doesn't happen.

I'd give them a call as the money will probably just sit there for ever. They should be able to just push the moeny accross to the other account.

Well I left the money sitting in the account for just on a month. The balance of the account went from $0 (with a $50 payment) to -$50 (with $0 payment). At that point I realised it probably won't migrate itself to my new account any time soon.

Called up Amex. Easily sorted out over the phone. Money should take up to 3 days to move into the correct account, but it should arrive.

Thanks for the info everyone.

seems amex does this differently than CBA. when i had a gold visa card and upgraded this to the platinum, the next month, CBA sent me a bill for the gold card with one small charge on it. i payed it by bpay with the old card number, but it got applied to the new card. when i called them up they told me that all electronic payments to the old card automatically redirect to the new card. they said the only way to pay off the charge on the old card was to go into the bank or to let them transfer a payment from the new card to the old card.

Mal said:
Well I left the money sitting in the account for just on a month. The balance of the account went from $0 (with a $50 payment) to -$50 (with $0 payment). At that point I realised it probably won't migrate itself to my new account any time soon.

Called up Amex. Easily sorted out over the phone. Money should take up to 3 days to move into the correct account, but it should arrive.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Interesting. While I didn't have a credit balance, I did get to see a debit manage to move itself from the cancelled account to the new one.!

Mal, I had the same problem - my wife paid the same Amex bill twice, so we had a credit balance on next statement (when we first realised it had been paid twice). We needed the funds to pay the new (Plat) card balance, so one phone call to Amex sorted it. Transferred within a couple of days.

Now if only I could get the one business that is still debiting my closed card to stop - that's another story. Also wish Amex would stop letting them debit the card as well - I thought that's what "CLOSED" meant :roll:

Lindsay Wilson said:
Mal, I had the same problem - my wife paid the same Amex bill twice, so we had a credit balance on next statement (when we first realised it had been paid twice). We needed the funds to pay the new (Plat) card balance, so one phone call to Amex sorted it. Transferred within a couple of days.

Now if only I could get the one business that is still debiting my closed card to stop - that's another story. Also wish Amex would stop letting them debit the card as well - I thought that's what "CLOSED" meant :roll:

I got a letter from Amex after I changed to the platinum, that said they would monitor my old account number for two months, and sweep any charges across. Maybe they are doinf it for longer than two months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back