Little things I like

Ahhh the 6 O'clock swill.. the good 'ol days.
Of course I didn't drink in those days, it took half a lifetime to get me into alcohol...
 
Ahhh the 6 O'clock swill.. the good 'ol days.
Of course I didn't drink in those days, it took half a lifetime to get me into alcohol...
The 6 O'clock swill was related to 6pm closing.

At least in Victoria, public bars had to take last orders by 6pm. In the CBD office workers would knock off 5pm and head to a nearby pub. They had x minutes to scoff as many 7oz (generally) glasses of beer as they could. Hence 'swill'; early openers (such as Markillie's Hotel) were somewhat less frantic at 7am.
 
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Sensibly W.A never adopted this idea. It did have a 9 PM closing time.
But I never thought of Sunday Sessions at the pubs, and rosters for fuel ay night as 'sensible'. When I moved to Perth in 1981 from Melbourne it took a while to adjust to some of the cultural differences :)
 
And you know this because @kookaburra75 ?
Oh - for breakfast - 'yeah🤣
Oh ye of little faith. Where we lived on Evans Street in Port Melbourne in 1981, we had five pubs within a very short walking distance. I was able to supplement my meagre savings to get through uni by working for cash in the pubs and got to know many of the colourful locals. These were the days before the suburb was gentrified.
 
But I never thought of Sunday Sessions at the pubs, and rosters for fuel ay night as 'sensible'. When I moved to Perth in 1981 from Melbourne it took a while to adjust to some of the cultural differences :)
Roster petrol stations on weekends! You could run out petrol driving between Sunday sessions! 😳
 
Roster petrol stations on weekends! You could run out petrol driving between Sunday sessions! 😳
I quickly learned where the two 24 hour petrol stations were, near Freo and East Perth that operated for the taxis. There were also few pubs in Freo that didn't really lock their doors between the sessions - allegedly:rolleyes:
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top