Jetstar's seat free-for-all ends | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Jetstar's seat free-for-all ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yada Yada

Established Member
news.com.au said:
Seat free-for-all ends

John Masanauskas, aviation reporter
October 04, 2006 12:00am

DOMESTIC passengers on no-frills airline Jetstar will have allocated seating from today. The Qantas subsidiary has ditched its free-for-all seating policy on domestic flights after a backlash from passengers.

Jetstar was due to introduce allocated seating from October 29 but has brought it forward after changing its booking system earlier than expected. Customers can now choose their seat when booking on the airline's website or by phone.

Jetstar was the first Australian carrier with free-for-all seating -- an idea copied from overseas low-cost airlines.

Jetstar chief executive Alan Joyce said yesterday that the new seating policy wouldn't lead to higher fares.

More...
This is great news and IMO brings JQ up to a standard that will be much more palatable for many travellers.

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Jetstar chief executive Allan Joyce said yesterday that the new seating policy wouldn't lead to higher fares.
I guess there will be an adjustment soon to cover for the implementation of allocated seats!

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
I guess there will be an adjustment soon to cover for the implementation of allocated seats!
Seat Allocation surcharge? -- Never! Airlines wouldn't implement surcharges for operational costs!

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Mal said:
Seat Allocation surcharge? -- Never! Airlines wouldn't implement surcharges for operational costs!
...or try to fob it off as a tax.

Kiwi Flyer

JohnK said:
Not at all. However if you wish to pre-select a seat then there will be a charge.

Disclaimer - charge may vary according to type of seat selected.

simongr

Enthusiast
Maybe they will start to charge a fee to access the OLCI/seat allocation web interface - it's what I would do ;)

SeatBackForward

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Not at all. However if you wish to pre-select a seat then there will be a charge.

Disclaimer - charge may vary according to type of seat selected.
IF..If????? oh you mean one of those choices which isn't actually a choice but more of a rhetorical choice?

I'm much more into giving rhetorical answers myself.

Kiwi Flyer

SeatBackForward said:
IF..If????? oh you mean one of those choices which isn't actually a choice but more of a rhetorical choice?
Of course there is a choice. You can choose not to pre-select a seat. And see which middle seat towards the back you end up with.

Altair

SeatBackForward said:
Wingtips' my bet.
Could you imagine the seat belt required for that? It would be more than the new Cathay ones....of course where would you store your carry-on?

NM

Flights
My Map
Altair said:
Could you imagine the seat belt required for that? It would be more than the new Cathay ones....of course where would you store your carry-on?
No problem with recliners in front of you. But pointing that large air-vent nozzle in the right direction may take some effort :rolleyes: .

SeatBackForward

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
NM said:
No problem with recliners in front of you. But pointing that large air-vent nozzle in the right direction may take some effort :rolleyes: .
Beers would finally be served cold though.

Commuter

They allocated seating on my flight (2nd ever Jetstar flight for me...) last Friday. They were still using those silly 'boarding by the colour' though, and screwed up my colour (I was on Jetflex, so I should have been given an orange one, but they gave me a blue one).

Altair

NM said:
I do not think they would be required, a windcheater or blanket (additional charge) maybe :shock: .
Oh do you think the noise isolating in-ear phones would have a long enough lead or even be effective at all:confused:
The best point though is that you would not have to appear through those dirty windows to have a good view.:mrgreen:

Dave Noble

Commuter said:
They allocated seating on my flight (2nd ever Jetstar flight for me...) last Friday. They were still using those silly 'boarding by the colour' though, and screwed up my colour (I was on Jetflex, so I should have been given an orange one, but they gave me a blue one).
Does it make any odds andy more what colour you have now that it is using allocated seating?

Dave

drron

AFF Supporter
Commuter said:
Has never worried me what colour the boarding pass is.I can do a very good limp and the grey hair doesnt hurt so always go on in first group.That was until I gave up using deathstar.

NM

Flights
My Map
Dave Noble said:
Does it make any odds andy more what colour you have now that it is using allocated seating?

Dave
I think I would rather have a blue one in preference to a bright orange one :shock:

Altair

NM said:
No problem with recliners in front of you.
I missed this, but the two Jetstar flights I had had no recline installed. So they conviently have addressed this issue and provided this customer service at no extra charge!:p

Philip76

Interestingly, if I want to fly from Melbourne to Newcastle on the 7th of July next year (a random date I picked), there are no exit row seats available. Isn't that funny...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gaphjam