Jetstar's seat free-for-all ends | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Jetstar's seat free-for-all ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
news.com.au said:
Seat free-for-all ends

John Masanauskas, aviation reporter
October 04, 2006 12:00am

DOMESTIC passengers on no-frills airline Jetstar will have allocated seating from today. The Qantas subsidiary has ditched its free-for-all seating policy on domestic flights after a backlash from passengers.

Jetstar was due to introduce allocated seating from October 29 but has brought it forward after changing its booking system earlier than expected. Customers can now choose their seat when booking on the airline's website or by phone.

Jetstar was the first Australian carrier with free-for-all seating -- an idea copied from overseas low-cost airlines.

Jetstar chief executive Alan Joyce said yesterday that the new seating policy wouldn't lead to higher fares.


More...
This is great news and IMO brings JQ up to a standard that will be much more palatable for many travellers.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,719
Jetstar chief executive Allan Joyce said yesterday that the new seating policy wouldn't lead to higher fares.
I guess there will be an adjustment soon to cover for the implementation of allocated seats!
 

Mal

Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,385
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
I guess there will be an adjustment soon to cover for the implementation of allocated seats!
Seat Allocation surcharge? -- Never! Airlines wouldn't implement surcharges for operational costs!
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
18,532
Flights
My Map
Mal said:
Seat Allocation surcharge? -- Never! Airlines wouldn't implement surcharges for operational costs!
...or try to fob it off as a tax.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
JohnK said:
I guess there will be an adjustment soon to cover for the implementation of allocated seats!
Not at all. However if you wish to pre-select a seat then there will be a charge.

Disclaimer - charge may vary according to type of seat selected.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Maybe they will start to charge a fee to access the OLCI/seat allocation web interface - it's what I would do ;)
 

SeatBackForward

Established Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
4,265
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Not at all. However if you wish to pre-select a seat then there will be a charge.

Disclaimer - charge may vary according to type of seat selected.
IF..If????? oh you mean one of those choices which isn't actually a choice but more of a rhetorical choice?

I'm much more into giving rhetorical answers myself.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
SeatBackForward said:
IF..If????? oh you mean one of those choices which isn't actually a choice but more of a rhetorical choice?
Of course there is a choice. You can choose not to pre-select a seat. And see which middle seat towards the back you end up with.
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
850
SeatBackForward said:
Wingtips' my bet.
Could you imagine the seat belt required for that? It would be more than the new Cathay ones....of course where would you store your carry-on?
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Altair said:
Could you imagine the seat belt required for that? It would be more than the new Cathay ones....of course where would you store your carry-on?
No problem with recliners in front of you. But pointing that large air-vent nozzle in the right direction may take some effort :rolleyes: .
 

Commuter

Active Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
793
They allocated seating on my flight (2nd ever Jetstar flight for me...) last Friday. They were still using those silly 'boarding by the colour' though, and screwed up my colour (I was on Jetflex, so I should have been given an orange one, but they gave me a blue one).
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
850
NM said:
No problem with recliners in front of you. But pointing that large air-vent nozzle in the right direction may take some effort :rolleyes: .
I do not think they would be required, a windcheater or blanket (additional charge) maybe :shock: .
Oh do you think the noise isolating in-ear phones would have a long enough lead or even be effective at all:confused:
The best point though is that you would not have to appear through those dirty windows to have a good view.:mrgreen:
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Commuter said:
They allocated seating on my flight (2nd ever Jetstar flight for me...) last Friday. They were still using those silly 'boarding by the colour' though, and screwed up my colour (I was on Jetflex, so I should have been given an orange one, but they gave me a blue one).
Does it make any odds andy more what colour you have now that it is using allocated seating?

Dave
 

drron

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 4, 2002
Messages
24,756
Commuter said:
They allocated seating on my flight (2nd ever Jetstar flight for me...) last Friday. They were still using those silly 'boarding by the colour' though, and screwed up my colour (I was on Jetflex, so I should have been given an orange one, but they gave me a blue one).
Has never worried me what colour the boarding pass is.I can do a very good limp and the grey hair doesnt hurt so always go on in first group.That was until I gave up using deathstar.
 
Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Dave Noble said:
Does it make any odds andy more what colour you have now that it is using allocated seating?

Dave
I think I would rather have a blue one in preference to a bright orange one :shock:
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
850
NM said:
No problem with recliners in front of you.
I missed this, but the two Jetstar flights I had had no recline installed. So they conviently have addressed this issue and provided this customer service at no extra charge!:p
 

Philip76

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
22
Interestingly, if I want to fly from Melbourne to Newcastle on the 7th of July next year (a random date I picked), there are no exit row seats available. Isn't that funny...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,294
Messages
2,079,330
Members
53,697
Latest member
emmashiralee
Top