JETSTAR Star Class - Anyone traveled yet? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

JETSTAR Star Class - Anyone traveled yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbyjai

Newbie
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
2
We are about to travel Star Class next month to Phuket and I am worried I am wasting my money.
I have tried to find ANY pictures of star class and only see 1 very small pic from the Jet Star web site but you can't tell if it is worth it.? Even my travel agent hasn't heard anything and said NO Agents call on them for them to ask questions.
We are paying over a $1,000 each way per person and our friends going the same flight are only paying $250 each way for same flight, so I am hopeing it is worth our while.
Has anyone pictures of the New Business class or any comments on their experience?
Also the movies? are they a mobile unit or in the seats? Can't get any info on this either.

Thankyou for your time in advanced and very very keen to get a response.
 

dragonman

Active Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
516
Flights
My Map
I flew JetStar starclass to Phuket in April. The service was good the seats comfortable and the food and drink was plentiful. There are no extras in *class for which you have to pay.

For me it was worth it in terms of FF points (it tipped me over to Platinum). You earn the equivalent of Qantas Business Class FF points and SC's.

Worth is a relative thing - for me yes. YMMV.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Welcome to AFF abbyjai.

Serfty has done a great trip report on star class here - should eb some pics still (I cant see whether they are still there on my work computer).

Hopefully that can add some info to your decision making process :)
 

abbyjai

Newbie
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
2
Thankyou so much guys. We have chosen seats 1 & 2 at the very front. Is there any good seats? or are they all great? my hubby is quiet tall and likes the leg room, also a little wider and he was hoping for a few extra inches on the seat. For me the powerpoints for my laptop was the bonus.
We have our own business and travel alot so getting a little bit spoilt was a bonus for us and yes topping up the FF points is good.
Also they say the seats lay back further, that is a bonus on a the late night flights, can you feel the extra layback?
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Often the front row may not be the best choice for long of leg as there is the end of the caboin in front of you. I tend to aim for one row back on those sort of flights so I can stretch under the seat in front (I am 185cms).
 

dragonman

Active Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
516
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
Often the front row may not be the best choice for long of leg as there is the end of the cabin in front of you. I tend to aim for one row back on those sort of flights so I can stretch under the seat in front (I am 185cms).
I am 5'11 and had no problems - I sat towards the front and at the back of the *class cabin. I preferred towards the front - further away from any crying babies at the front of Y.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,786
Flights
My Map
The seats are basically the same as those used for business class on the domestic configuration 767 and the 737-800 aircraft in the Qantas fleet. These are known as "Millennium Seats", with the difference being that the Star Class seats are covered with leather rather than cloth. Seat pitch is about 38 inches, while those down the back will have about 31 inch pitch.
 

N860CR

AFF Supporter
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
3,304
I believe JQ still offer an "on departure" upgrade to *Class for $300 if you want your friends to join you (and hence also join you in the Qantas Club).

Although that would mean you paid $1000 and they paid $550 so you might want to totally forget that!
 

lucinda

Newbie
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
8
I travelled Star Class to Bali. I must admit I won't fly Jetstar Star class again, it is really just a premium economy and only $60.00 less in cost than Garuda Business Class.
The seats have more pitch but they are narrow. The food is the same as economy except they pay for it. The personal video unit was such a joke I gave it back. You have to balance it on your food tray so when meals come you have to pretty much fold it away. The sound quality was abysmal so i just watched a movie on the normal screen.
I think for a budget airline, I would rather pay 248.00 for an economy ticket to B.kok than 846.00 for a bad business class.
 

codash1099

AFF Supporter
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
2,594
lucinda said:
I travelled Star Class to Bali. I must admit I won't fly Jetstar Star class again, it is really just a premium economy and only $60.00 less in cost than Garuda Business Class.
The seats have more pitch but they are narrow. The food is the same as economy except they pay for it. The personal video unit was such a joke I gave it back. You have to balance it on your food tray so when meals come you have to pretty much fold it away. The sound quality was abysmal so i just watched a movie on the normal screen.
I think for a budget airline, I would rather pay 248.00 for an economy ticket to B.kok than 846.00 for a bad business class.
Hmmm. Garuda vs J*. That's a choice I don't EVER want to be forced to make :-|
 

straitman

Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,782
Flights
My Map
codash1099 said:
Hmmm. Garuda vs J*. That's a choice I don't EVER want to be forced to make :-|
Almost anyone in the aviation industry would agree that there is no choice :!:

Sorry Garuda. :rolleyes:
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,106
Flights
My Map
abbyjai said:
Thankyou so much guys. We have chosen seats 1 & 2 at the very front. Is there any good seats? or are they all great? my hubby is quiet tall and likes the leg room, also a little wider and he was hoping for a few extra inches on the seat. For me the powerpoints for my laptop was the bonus. ...
For comfort, seat 2D is IMO, the better seat if you are tall. (There is no seat 1D so there is plenty of room in front).

Here's an image:


Here is a seat map to give you an idea:



... and a link to a larger image: http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery/albums/Bangkok/QF_A332_Large.jpg
 

ANstar

Active Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2006
Messages
679
The seats look more comfortable than BA WT+. What are the thougts from those of you who have folwn both? Is the JQ seat better?
 

Evan

Established Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
3,168
ANstar said:
The seats look more comfortable than BA WT+. What are the thougts from those of you who have folwn both? Is the JQ seat better?
Well i would take the QF/JQ seats in cloth, but i prefer the BA if i had only a choice of JQ leather and BA cloth WT+

I would guess they are almost identical, i have tried both but never thought about the comparison before. (My BA WT+ experience was in the small cabin on a 744)

Evan
 

paxman

Intern
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
79
having just returned from thailand with BA in WT+ with an op-up to business syd mel, I would take the *class seat over the wt+ seat any time. a tip for those flying wt+ try to always get either window or isle next to window it just feels more spacious with extra room between you and the window. having said that i dought the JQ staff could match the BA crew for service (how much french champange does JQ have in stock?), what a difference a smile makes!
 

Keith009

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
4,443
paxman said:
having said that i dought the JQ staff could match the BA crew for service (how much french champange does JQ have in stock?)
I think you'd have to pay 5 quid for champers in WT+ on BA.
Is this also the case for JQ *class?
 

d15.in.oz

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
452
The bubbles on JQi certainly ain’t French… (But free & flowing, up front). :oops:

And don’t make the mistake of asking what scotch they are serving down the back. As when they return with a small plastic nodule of brown liquid, and say “here you go, this is the scotch we have onboard today” you will find it hard not to start all out laughing. (The nodule; imagine a small package of tomato sauce, that you might get when you buy a meat pie, but clear with no branding. Probably how we will be drinking scotch on low gravity flights in the future.)

My tip, as a WP, drink up the Moet or Chivas/JW Black (I do want to write "Blue" there, makes the Lounge upgrade seem kinda incomplete & colour blind) in the QF FL before you get onboard, kinda inoculates you to what JQi offers in the sky.

And be aware, everything you drink is recorded, and possibly fed into a database somewhere. I would expect, if they cared, JQi staff could welcome me onboard in Star Class with a “hiya d15.in.oz, would you like some bubbles or a S&C first up today?” I doubt QF’s database would be so helpful to their J staff on my first drink order. My other great judging tip for quality premium airline staff, is, when they come round and ask you if you would like another drink, and your only answer is “yes”, seeing if they have to ask or confirm what you are drinking, and if not, checking that what turns up is what you wanted.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,594
Flights
My Map
d15.in.oz said:
My other great judging tip for quality premium airline staff, is, when they come round and ask you if you would like another drink, and your only answer is “yes”, seeing if they have to ask or confirm what you are drinking, and if not, checking that what turns up is what you wanted.
From my observation on domestic J, if they offered everyone in J a Gin and Tonic they would be right 75% of the time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
80,779
Messages
1,858,465
Members
48,608
Latest member
NEC180
Top