How much would you pay to buy points? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

How much would you pay to buy points?

What is the highest fee would you be willing to pay to get the points from $1,000 of credit card spe

  • no more than $10

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • between $10 - $15

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • between $15 - $20

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more than $20

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    156
Status
Not open for further replies.

Genie

Newbie
Joined
Nov 28, 2005
Messages
1
Or more particularly, how much would you pay to get point-earning purchases onto your credit card?

For example, say there was a store that let you make a purchase for $1,000 on your credit card, then refunded the $1,000 to your bank account. So you get the points from your credit card for the $1,000 spend. Also, say you got the funds back quickly - within a few days - so you could cycle the same funds through this store over and over again.

The catch is that you have to pay the store a credit card processing fee, so the amount billed to your credit card is actually $1,000 plus the fee.

What fee would you be willing to pay for something like this?
 

QF WP

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
17,713
Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Welcome to AFF, Genie.

I think paying a fee for an endless loop just to get points is somewhat self defeating, because the loophole will be likely closed when it is realised.

I happily pay $250 for a credit card that gives me 1 point per $1 and $395 for a card that gives me 1.5 points per $1. As my wife and I rack up a lot of points using CC's for every purchase we can, I believe the cost is justifiable.

BTW dOOt, when are you going to correct the English in your signature??
 

dajop

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
11,115
Flights
My Map
Yep tend to agree with Lindsay ..... However it were being done once off to push you across the line for a specific redemption (eg you were 8,000 pts short of that RTW J class award) then it may be more economical than buying points off QF or doing a mileage run just for the sake of it.
 

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,434
I would happily pay between $10 and $15.

40,000 for a one-way upgrade from East Coast to Hong Kong at 1.5c per point is $600. A good deal indeed.

I hope that the "credit card" cycle that you suggest wouldn't be considered money laundering!
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,719
Genie said:
What fee would you be willing to pay for something like this?
Does not sound above board to me. :shock:

No amount of money would be worth me risking what I have already saved up for a rainy day.

Goodluck if you get to keep QFF membership.
 

johnsmith

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Messages
100
Genie said:
Or more particularly, how much would you pay to get point-earning purchases onto your credit card?

For example, say there was a store that let you make a purchase for $1,000 on your credit card, then refunded the $1,000 to your bank account. So you get the points from your credit card for the $1,000 spend. Also, say you got the funds back quickly - within a few days - so you could cycle the same funds through this store over and over again.

The catch is that you have to pay the store a credit card processing fee, so the amount billed to your credit card is actually $1,000 plus the fee.

What fee would you be willing to pay for something like this?
Points to me are worth 0.01785 cents per point so i would be prepared to pay no more than 1 cent per point, there are few businesses that would be able to negotiate a credit card service fee of less than 1%, but if you could then this suggestion would be worthwhile. I doubt that it would be illegal but the credit card processing company would not allow this if they knew about it.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,256
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
To me, points a benefit of flying because I have to fly. I don't spend more money (of my own) to get more points. I have more important thing for my money that points.

If I get points for no additional cost, then I will do it, such as use my CC for all possible purchases. I need to have a credit card, so I might as well have a points earning one. But that is my extent of paying extra for points.

Yes, point can be good for buying an upgrade, but if I didn't have any points I would not be paying $$$ for the upgrade, so I have not really benefits except for the comfort during the flight - and that is a temporary benefit with no ongoing financial or lifestyle benefit for me. I can survive in Y when I need to, even if I like to fly in J and F :shock: . My long-term financial and lifestyle goals are more important than short term points earning opportunities.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,082
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Tomorrow, I am flying for work MEL-SYD and SYD-MEL. Total fare $153.29. There's 2000 ffpoints + I get QP access; that gotta be worth ~$50.

IMO, Comparing "points for $$$" with "points for flights" is very similar to comparing the "costs" of being "serviced" by a prostitute with the "costs" of "wedded bliss".

One may be simpler and carry no baggage; but it certainly has no Class!
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,256
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
serfty said:
One may be simpler and carry no baggage; but it certainly has no Class!
I have not met Mrs Serfty, but I think she may take offence at being called classless :oops: :oops: .
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,256
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
serfty said:
Tomorrow, I am flying for work MEL-SYD and SYD-MEL. Total fare $153.29. There's 2000 ffpoints + I get QP access; that gotta be worth ~$50.
Don't for get the 20 SCs! They cannot be bought except by flying. I am no points junkie, but when it comes to SCs I have been known to do some things that others may call crazy (but at no additional cost).
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,719
serfty said:
IMO, Comparing "points for $$$" with "points for flights" is very similar to comparing the "costs" of being "serviced" by a prostitute with the "costs" of "wedded bliss".

One may be simpler and carry no baggage; but it certainly has no Class!
Just because someone is married does not mean they have class. :roll:

Oh.. and a prostitute does not take the house, car, kids and leave you with child support and mortgage payments when she goes through a mid life crisis. :( :oops:
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,082
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
NM said:
serfty said:
One may be simpler and carry no baggage; but it certainly has no Class!
I have not met Mrs Serfty, but I think she may take offence at being called classless :oops: :oops: .
:shock: I actually meant the opposite! (i.e. "There's no Class in buying points") ... which is a bit too much of a generalisation really.
JohnK said:
...Just because someone is married does not mean they have class. :roll:

Oh.. and a prostitute does not take the house, car, kids and leave you with child support and mortgage payments when she goes through a mid life crisis. :( :oops:
Apologies, did not mean to punch any buttons. :oops:

FWIW, I've been through the family court once; we went there to split the debts! :shock:
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,719
serfty said:
Apologies, did not mean to punch any buttons. :oops:

FWIW, I've been through the family court once; we went there to split the debts! :shock:
No apology required. :D

It has happened to a good friend of mine and the way he was torn apart, not a pretty sight. :( Anyway life moves on and every new day it hurts less than the day before.
 

bigjobs

Active Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
802
ANZ are currently offering 16000 bonus points if you sign up with their QF FF Visa card.

i am assuming that if you signed up for this they would charge you the yearly fee of $X and that if you then closed the account the next day that would represent the cost of the points ... although i suppose you would need to activate the account by making a purchase with the card.

just looked at their website - this is taken from it ... regarding the fees ...

Total Annual Fee of $95 applies for an ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa consisting of a $40 Annual Account Fee and a $55 Reward Program Services Fee and a Total Annual Fee of $150 for an ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa Gold consisting of a $95 Annual Account Fee and a $55 Reward Program Services Fee. For both cards, an annual fee of $10 plus a Rewards Program Services Fee of $55 applies for each additional cardholder. Standard annual percentage rate is 18.5% p.a. as at 1 November 2005, subject to change.

i dont know if that is expensive for points or not, perhaps others can tell
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Less than 1c per point. Sounds good to me (earning is equivalent to SYD-MEL ticket under $10 incl taxes & surcharges).
 
Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,274
Messages
2,077,559
Members
53,673
Latest member
Krys
Top