Honeymoon with points and paid business class | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Honeymoon with points and paid business class

Status
Not open for further replies.

haloboy

I need some advice. In January, for my honeymoon, I am wanting to use my 300,000 points to get my wife-to-be a Round the World business class airfare (5 stops I Think) and I hope to buy me a business class round the world (I am gold, and want Plat)

I have been told that it is cheaper to get the RTW ticket from Sri Lanka, which works well as we want to go there for part of the honeymoon.

Our plan is to buy 2 return econ fares from BNE to Sri Lanka. From there, organise her the points fare, and me buy my fare. We will then fly from there to BNE (we have to come back for business mid trip), BNE to LAX, LAX to JFK, JFK to Paris, Paris to London, then London back to Sri Lanka to finish the round the world part of the trip.

We would then take the return leg from Sri Lanka back to BNE.

I guess my questions are:

- Is this all possible?
- Will I get Plat?
- Which are the best business classes to try and get eg QAN, CATH etc
- Is it good to buy from Sri Lanka

Any suggestions etc? I know its a long post, but this is stessing me a little, as all these wedding plans are a pain!!!! *grin*

serfty

Flights
My Map
haloboy said:
I need some advice. In January, for my honeymoon, I am wanting to use my 300,000 points to get my wife-to-be a Round the World business class airfare (5 stops I Think) and I hope to buy me a business class round the world (I am gold, and want Plat)

I have been told that it is cheaper to get the RTW ticket from Sri Lanka, which works well as we want to go there for part of the honeymoon.

Our plan is to buy 2 return econ fares from BNE to Sri Lanka. From there, organise her the points fare, and me buy my fare. We will then fly from there to BNE (we have to come back for business mid trip), BNE to LAX, LAX to JFK, JFK to Paris, Paris to London, then London back to Sri Lanka to finish the round the world part of the trip.

We would then take the return leg from Sri Lanka back to BNE.

I guess my questions are:

- Is this all possible?
- Will I get Plat?
- Which are the best business classes to try and get eg QAN, CATH etc
- Is it good to buy from Sri Lanka

Any suggestions etc? I know its a long post, but this is stessing me a little, as all these wedding plans are a pain!!!! *grin*
Yes, it is all possible. If you arrange your paid flights correctly, you should be able to get Plat quite easily.

For ansers to the other questions; check out the FlyerTalk oneWORLD forum.

Ekka

Flights
My Map
I haven't worked out the cost in AUD to buy a DONEX or AONEX in Sri Lanka, but CMB seems rather difficult (and expensive even in economy) to reach, so the savings may not be great.

serfty

Flights
My Map
Ekka said:
I haven't worked out the cost in AUD to buy a DONEX or AONEX in Sri Lanka, but CMB seems rather difficult (and expensive even in economy) to reach, so the savings may not be great.
Haloboy's intinery is ASIA-SWP-NA-EUR-ASIA; thus four continents are visited. Being in Business class it's fare code would be DONE4.

Currently, to purchase a DONE4 to start in Australia costs AUD9,639 + taxes/charges/levies. To buy this in Sri Lanka costs LKR498,200 + taxes/charges/levies. The taxes/charges/levies would be the same for each.

LKR498,200 is just under AUD6,429 so the fares are ~AUD3,210 less to purchase in CMB.

At the moment BNE to CMB return can be purchased for AUD1,430 (pp inc.) on Cathay Pacific.

NM

Flights
My Map
serfty said:
Ekka said:
At the moment BNE to CMB return can be purchased for AUD1,430 (pp inc.) on Cathay Pacific.
Or redeemed using less QF FF points than can be earned on a well constructed DONE4.

QF WP

Flights
My Map
haloboy, what you are doing is "nesting tickets" (having the flights of ticket B all inside the date range of ticket A's flights), an excellent strategy and yes, would work on the information that you've given.

Would you get Platinum? Well, depends on 3 things:

1. When is your program renewal date
2. How many SC's will you have in Jan 06
3. How many you get from your DONE4 - (really, it's how well your DONE4 is constructed).

Of course, you have the added complexity of having to get the same flights, but if you look for the U (award business class) seats first, then you should be able to get a D class fare on the same flight - no guarantees, but eminently possible.

Best Business Class - well, you can't go past QF, CX and BA. Each to their own tastes...

serfty answered the last question excellently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamolhaaaa