Grammar Discussions | Page 8 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Grammar Discussions

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I think the second 's' has has fallen away quite some time ago, and is no longer in common usage. The rule these days is to place the ' before the s for singular and after the s for plural if the s indicates plural.

This also occurs when the singular word ends in 's'.

e.g. Charles' wife not Charles's wife.
That reminds me when I was living in Quebec about 1990 and the province brought in another round of language laws. All signs had to be in the French language (even commercial ones), except in desingnated Anglo areas of Montreal, where English was allowed, but the equivalent French had to be plus grand et plus priminent. (Tabernac!)

One consequence was that "Simpson's" Department store became "Simpsons"; "Hudson's Bay Company" became "Hudsons" and so on. To this day there is a warehouse full of possessive apostrophes somewhere in Montreal awaiting the repeal of those stupid language laws (in a country that is officially bilingual).

anat0l

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
I think the second 's' has [-]has[/-] fallen away quite some time ago, and is no longer in common usage. The rule these days is to place the ' before the s for singular and after the s for plural if the s indicates plural.

This also occurs when the singular word ends in 's'.

e.g. Charles' wife not Charles's wife.
The "'s" tends to get quite messy due to differences in pronunciation as well as convention. I tend to just add the singular apostrophe on any word ending in 's' to denote the possessive, but when you pronounce it, you know sometimes the written is incongruent with the speech - the wife of Charles, the house belonging to the Joneses, the decision of the referees, the cat belonging to Mrs Chambers, the diary belonging to Bridget Jones......

I won't even touch the pedantry which is missing in the following sentence:

Our lunch consisted of three pieces of battered cod and three dollars worth of chips.

QF WP

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
Neighbour David Casey, who lives across the street, said he didn't know the man who died but said new tenants had moved in in recent months, the Brisbane Times reports.
Sentence structuring isn't that bl00dy difficult. "In" should never be together twice....try:

Neighbour David Casey, who lives across the street, said he didn't know the man who died but said in recent months, new tenants had moved in, the Brisbane Times reports.

Journalists and editors who should know better....:mad:

froggerADL

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I just saw this classic as a comment to the story about SYD-DFW on ausbt.com.au:

Would of loved to of seen BNE with a 2nd A380 member.

:shock:

Pushka

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I just saw this classic as a comment to the story about SYD-DFW on ausbt.com.au:

Would of loved to of seen BNE with a 2nd A380 member.

:shock:
Groan. I would of loved not to of seen that quote.

Off and of. Too and to.

Last edited:

QF WP

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
Groan. I would of loved not to of seen that quote.

Off and of. Too and to.
:D

Of and have in the example above. Simple mistake that mangles the sentence

anat0l

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Of and have in the example above.
Nope - both 'have' instead of 'of' in the example.

Double words is rather odd - I've seen 'that that' and 'had had', but not 'in in' before.

Pushka

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I did a 'to to' today. Too busy to try to restructure the sentence to change it.

JohnK

Veteran Member
AFF Supporter
This is a good thread.

I don't remember doing any of this at school. :confused: I mustn't have been paying attention or skipped class. ;)

rogerkambah

AFF Supporter
This is a good thread.

I don't remember doing any of this at school. :confused: I mustn't have been paying attention or skipped class. ;)
I feel sure that you were busy reading Greek classics (in Greek). :D

JessicaTam

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
This is a good thread.

I think I learnt my basis in grammar from my grade 5 english teacher who had us parsing sentences. Everything else followed from that.

anat0l

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
I did a 'to to' today. Too busy to try to restructure the sentence to change it.
Try this on for size!

My boss indignantly demanded the report, which was meant to be completed by now, now.

Of course, there are much better ways of expressing that sentence.

Though in South Africa, saying "now now" is a way of basically reinforcing the urgency of something.

JohnK

Veteran Member
AFF Supporter
I feel sure that you were busy reading Greek classics (in Greek). :D
Hmmm.

I finished year 3 in Greece and my uncle made a mistake here and I did 2 months of Year 2 and then started a full year of year 3. My brother who is 3 years younger (-11 days) was only 2 years behind me in school. I was dux in Year 6. By the time I went to high school I lost interest. I passed the HSC without opening a text book or taking notes. What a waste.

anat0l

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
I think I learnt my basis in grammar from my grade 5 english teacher who had us parsing sentences. Everything else followed from that.
I credit my grade 12 teacher - who was the Head of Department of English at the time - in assisting the most in my English proficiency. I learned a lot more about sentence structure, expression / avoiding verbosity, grammar and word selection.

Only thing was that working under him was really, really tough. No matter how hard I tried, except for oral presentations and one exam, I could never get better than an A- mark for English assessment.

JohnK

Veteran Member
AFF Supporter
you never skipped class? :p
LOL. We were very good at it. In Year 9 I skipped ~80 days of school. My report card said ~2 days absent sick with a note from Epstein's mother.

By the way I am not proud of it. Looking at this thread I have missed a lot and my head hurts now trying to catch up.

AFF on Air Podcast

• “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lyce72