Download great tool for searching the world atlas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maca44

Established Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
1,307
Points
420
Here is a program that some might find useful as you can search for an addresses around the world, driving directions etc etc.

1. Go to www.google.com
2. Click on "more>>"
3. Click on "Google Downloads"
4. Download the free verson of Google Earth (Betta)

Its 10.3mb, but allows you to zoom into to all parts of the world, and even if you were to say zoom in to the Interstate 5 in USA you can see vehicles on the road (still photo only). Great tool for driving directions etc etc.

Not for everyone, but some might find it interesting. after you zoom into cities, the majority of major roads/hwys etc are shown.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Maca44 said:
Here is a program that some might find useful as you can search for an addresses around the world, driving directions etc etc.

1. Go to www.google.com
2. Click on "more>>"
3. Click on "Google Downloads"
4. Download the free verson of Google Earth (Betta)

Its 10.3mb, but allows you to zoom into to all parts of the world, and even if you were to say zoom in to the Interstate 5 in USA you can see vehicles on the road (still photo only). Great tool for driving directions etc etc.

Not for everyone, but some might find it interesting. after you zoom into cities, the majority of major roads/hwys etc are shown.
The movie Men in Black showed the ability to zoom in to someone's backyard using sattelite images. I suppose we are not that far from that type of technology being a reality.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,569
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
JohnK said:
The movie Men in Black showed the ability to zoom in to someone's backyard using sattelite images. I suppose we are not that far from that type of technology being a reality.
I think the technology exists ... just that the images are thankfully not available publicly :wink: .

You can certainly spot the trampoline in our backyard on GoogleEarth.
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,953
Points
855
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Gold
Maca44 said:
Here is a program that some might find useful as you can search for an addresses around the world, driving directions etc etc.

1. Go to www.google.com
2. Click on "more>>"
3. Click on "Google Downloads"
4. Download the free verson of Google Earth (Betta)

Its 10.3mb, but allows you to zoom into to all parts of the world, and even if you were to say zoom in to the Interstate 5 in USA you can see vehicles on the road (still photo only). Great tool for driving directions etc etc.

Not for everyone, but some might find it interesting. after you zoom into cities, the majority of major roads/hwys etc are shown.

Great piece of software although it's surprising how and where it is limited. ie my humble little town in country Vic has better imagery than some parts of the USA.

VERY unlike the yanks to give somewhere else more detail than something local. :D
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,473
Solutions
6
Points
1,440
I've noticed some fairly large variations in the age of the photos that were stitched together. I have one friend that appears to live in a sandpit, despite the building he is in being a few years old, and another has a back shed showing and that has been a much more recent addition.
 
Frequent Flyer Solutions has reopened its highly-rated Award Flight Assist service!

The Award Flight Assist team takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
44,082
Solutions
19
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Maca44 said:
Here is a program that some might find useful as you can search for an addresses around the world, driving directions etc etc.

1. Go to www.google.com
2. Click on "more>>"
3. Click on "Google Downloads"
4. Download the free verson of Google Earth (Betta)

Its 10.3mb, but allows you to zoom into to all parts of the world, and even if you were to say zoom in to the Interstate 5 in USA you can see vehicles on the road (still photo only). Great tool for driving directions etc etc.

Not for everyone, but some might find it interesting. after you zoom into cities, the majority of major roads/hwys etc are shown.
Note the minimum configuration required.

Google earth will not load on 95, 98 or NT.
Minimum configuration:

•Operating system: Windows 2000, Windows XP
•CPU speed: Intel® Pentium® PIII 500 MHz
•System memory (RAM): 128MB
•200MB hard-disk space
•3D graphics card: 3D-capable video card with 16MB VRAM
•1024x768, 32-bit true color screen
•Network speed: 128 kbps ("Broadband/Cable Internet")
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
NM said:
I think the technology exists ... just that the images are thankfully not available publicly :wink: .

You can certainly spot the trampoline in our backyard on GoogleEarth.
I don't think it will be long before it is available publicly. Just how affordable?

Wouldn't you want to know what was happening in Kate Moss's backyard..... Too late, we have already had a glimpse of what might be happening.... :oops:
 
Joined
Aug 11, 2002
Messages
377
Points
160
I understand much of the data you see is stored in servers and is up to 3 years old. They are updating and refining all the time.
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,473
Solutions
6
Points
1,440
Spot the plane

Wunala Dreaming(At LAX)
33 d 56' 43.21" N, 118 d 25' 00.04" W


Nalanji Dreaming (At HKG)
22 d 18' 30" N, 113 d 55' 47" E
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Top