Double the Fun [Double Velocity SCs, Book by 24 Nov, Travel by 13 Oct 2020] | Page 7 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Double the Fun [Double Velocity SCs, Book by 24 Nov, Travel by 13 Oct 2020]

Jurahn

Established Member
AFF Supporter
And it seems Happy Hour fares are also ineligible as I just asked on FB
There's going to be an awful lot of people missing out on double SCs then, if the FB replies you and I have received are indeed correct (and I assume they are) :(

klm597

Intern
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
Does anyone recall if the happy hour fares automatically pop up when directly searching on the VA website (ie: not clicking through the webpage banner or the email)? I'd be pretty upset if I booked a fare straight from the website that just happens to be a happy hour fare only for it to be ineligible for the DSC offer.

I can see the argument against promo codes being eligible for DSC but happy hour fares being ineligible feels especially petty. :confused:

cqtiger

Flights
My Map
Does anyone recall if the happy hour fares automatically pop up when directly searching on the VA website (ie: not clicking through the webpage banner or the email)? I'd be pretty upset if I booked a fare straight from the website that just happens to be a happy hour fare only for it to be ineligible for the DSC offer.

I can see the argument against promo codes being eligible for DSC but happy hour fares being ineligible feels especially petty. :confused:
I agree if you randomly booked your flights during happy hour and didnt know what happy hour was about, you'd think you would be eligible for SCs

JohnK

Veteran Member
AFF Supporter
Good timing and slightly offsets ridiculously high domestic airfares.

Nathant123

Perfect timing as I needed to head to Auckland for a couple days early next year. Interestingly enough the price from SYD - MEL in business is a couple dollars cheaper than SYD - MEL - AKL in business! Also have an Amex promo of $40 back so that helps. It shows as 'the business' but thats only the SYD - MEL flight at 6:30AM. I hope I end up on the A330 for the first leg as I've never actually been on it. Does Virgin typically swap it for the 737 last minute?

Harthagan

I can confirm during happy hours the prices on the virgin booking site are identical to the ones u get by clicking through from the happy hour "vmail" (only for the corresponding sale fare dates)

Booked 4 return flights last night (all getaway fares) and will be making some angry calls if the double SC are not forthcoming :(

Must...Fly!

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Great to see the promo come around again. But I think I will be giving it a miss, Requalified for the next year on forward bookings and my travel has gone through the floor lately, maybe I'll look in to an SC run later in the year if the double comes up again...

As for the promo fares, I wouldn't worry too much. The staff have little idea about the promotions and I would personally be stunned if the use of promo codes and certainly happy hour fares were not awarded double status credits.

Jurahn

Established Member
AFF Supporter
As for the promo fares, I wouldn't worry too much. The staff have little idea about the promotions and I would personally be stunned if the use of promo codes and certainly happy hour fares were not awarded double status credits.
I can't take the risk - we can't afford to do a lot of travel at the moment, so when we do fly, it has to be carefully planned out re SC earn to try to keep at least one of us at Gold. This offer is just what we need at the moment, and if Velocity then points to the Ts & Cs and won't stump up the extra SCs because a promo code was used, that leaves us in a big hole SC-wise.

Stealthflyer

Virgin
Platinum
Perfect timing as I needed to head to Auckland for a couple days early next year. Interestingly enough the price from SYD - MEL in business is a couple dollars cheaper than SYD - MEL - AKL in business! Also have an Amex promo of $40 back so that helps. It shows as 'the business' but thats only the SYD - MEL flight at 6:30AM. I hope I end up on the A330 for the first leg as I've never actually been on it. Does Virgin typically swap it for the 737 last minute?
It’s odd isn’t it. I was looking at HBA - AKL J flights and they’re the same price as HBA - MEL. A 1 hour hop across the bass strait is the same price as multiple flights to another country!

mt01

The same "This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer" clause was present in the T&Cs for the May DSC promo. Did anyone successfully receive the DSC when using a promo code for that one?

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
The same "This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer" clause was present in the T&Cs for the May DSC promo. Did anyone successfully receive the DSC when using a promo code for that one?
Yes - not an issue.

Melburnian1

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
In my experience this is the third open DSC offer this year , first one being in Feb and another in May 2019. So definitely more than once a year.
Interesting that it launches these in February, May and now November, the three months that historically see lower travel demand. However, the periods for which they are valid go beyond these months.

knagelli

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
the three months that historically see lower travel demand. However, the periods for which they are valid go beyond these months.
I don't remember the travel inclusion in previous offers but this one covered for good 11 months which is not too bad if you have ur plans sorted. Atleast for peeps like me still lingering with VA Silver it is a good option to try to hit gold/platinum with one or two trips and we are set.

Dee#

Intern
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Gee there are going to be a lot more platinum and gold members at this rate, with all these double SC offers. Might make the lounge more packed and more competition for upgrades and economy X.

Atleastonce

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Gee there are going to be a lot more platinum and gold members at this rate, with all these double SC offers. Might make the lounge more packed and more competition for upgrades and economy X.
Yeah, what’s the saying; if everyone has status-no one has status.

cqtiger

Flights
My Map
With the ability to book so far ahead you may as well wait for the next DSC offer if your plans are not set in concrete. I think they just want to lock up your money. I fell for it with the last May offer booking for Feb 2020 and could just as easily did it on this offer for the same price.

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJP1961