Discussion/Q&A on Best QF Status Run Options

support

Established Member
Administrator
This thread is for Questions and General discussion regarding the Best Status Run Options for QFF as per this thread:

Overview of Best Status Run Options [not the discussion thread]

Please keep your questions and queries to this thread and avoid posting in the other.

You can also get some status run inspiration from this AFF article:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why one would want Qantas Platinum over Gold would be the access to First class lounges, the ability to force classic award seats to open up, better seat selection and potentially better customer support. Whether it is worth spending all that extra money on flights is up for debate. I will also remind them that if they are a Points Club+ member they can roll over up to 100 status credits towards credit meaning not all of the excess status credits will go to waste.
If solely flying domestic
Then upgrades or the occasional on sale J fare would get you access to the highest J lounge anyway

WP worked well with the family trips in Mel F LAX F and my individual trips in the same year made it good enough value.

Bear in mind this was back in the times of 100% JASA and today it’s 70% or less Points Club JASA

COMING Upto Covid I did a couple of DSC status Runs to OOL best $3,000 I ever spent - got me through the past 3.5 years as WP

now coming Upto LTG the plan is to use points to fly as lounge access is guaranteed - perhaps because home is Adelaide and there’s no special J lounge plus a curtailed travel agenda and An expired passport, my expectations of “bothering” are different AND besides BOTH lounges serve the same B….. wine !

I think the other thing in my mind is the significant superannuation tax-free opportunity looming FORTUNATELY freeing up ample cash for F sale airfares (it’s a lot) with a side of zero cost public transport (that’s around $1,300 per year) low cost housing, kids flown the coop…

Fortune favours the brave
Fly more pay less

now coming Upto LTG the plan is to use points to fly as lounge access is guaranteed - perhaps because home is Adelaide and there’s no special J lounge plus a curtailed travel agenda and An expired passport, my expectations of “bothering” are different AND besides BOTH lounges serve the same B….. wine !
Certainly the Gold status is the goldilocks status to have. Sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Platinum, but you get priority everything, lounge access, seat selection on OneWorld partners, baggage allowance, and the ability to look 353 days out for classic awards. Indeed, in some countries you would be hard pressed to find a difference between Platinum and Gold. For instance, travelling in the US, QFF Gold status already gets you AA's best lounges - flagship, even when travelling domestically (a perk that OW elites holding status aside from AA/AS have).
I think the other thing in my mind is the significant superannuation tax-free opportunity looming FORTUNATELY freeing up ample cash for F sale airfares (it’s a lot) with a side of zero cost public transport (that’s around $1,300 per year) low cost housing, kids flown the coop…
Age certainly plays a factor too. No doubt when I get older I won't have the ability to do the crazy itineraries I am on now. And that's one of the reasons I am trying to get lifetime status on all the major alliances while I still can (United for Star Gold, Delta for SkyTeam and QFF for OneWorld).
Fortune favours the brave
Fly more pay less
Especially when JQ cancels your flights last minute, you are booked on a MAX fare and decide to choose a routing that has you connect in several cities to maximize status credit accrual! 🤣

the ability to force classic award seats to open up
That's the exact reason I was trying to gun for Platinum. Unfortunately I missed out on the DSC offer by 1 day (booked a trip to the US and then DSC was announced 1 day later. It was a discount fare and non refundable). I mainly travel business for personal travel booking when classic award is available so it would be nice to get more availability. Mind you I've been pretty lucky so far. For example, I managed to book a couple of classic reward return flights on business to Europe last year when I was on Silver and availability was supposedly scarce.

Looks like the value to get to Platinum isn't there this time around. Will try again next year and will wait for the DSC offer before booking first!

That's the exact reason I was trying to gun for Platinum.
Keep in mind that the perk of requesting a release of a classic seat isn't a guarantee. Often times even Platinum 1s will have these requests rejected.
Unfortunately I missed out on the DSC offer by 1 day (booked a trip to the US and then DSC was announced 1 day later. It was a discount fare and non refundable).
Timing those can be difficult, all we know is it happens sometime in March. And booking business travel it can be difficult to convince the business to wait a few days especially when they are concerned fares may go up. This year, I couldn't find anything obvious to take advantage of the DSC offer. Flights to NZ in J (my usual go to as it's an easy 480 SCs earned) were in the $2000 range. Meanwhile during the DSC promotion in 2022 I managed to snag an J flight to NZ for $1100 return. But I thought, surely there'll be other opportunities to travel for business where I get to earn status credits and sure enough they have just come along.
I mainly travel business for personal travel booking when classic award is available so it would be nice to get more availability. Mind you I've been pretty lucky so far. For example, I managed to book a couple of classic reward return flights on business to Europe last year when I was on Silver and availability was supposedly scarce.
I think the key point here for business travel is you need to be strategic in how you book your flights. I don't know how the flight booking works for your organization, but where I work (a Uni) everything has to go through the travel department. I can't self-book anything, especially given the complexity of most of my travel. So how I "game" the system is ask the travel department to quote me flights I know will earn a high amount of status credits but are relatively affordable. For instance, on my trip to the US in October, the cheapest option was Star Alliance flying United Airlines to Pittsburgh. Well, a similar fare with American was about $300 more and after some playing around with Google flights, I was able to engineer an itinerary that was nearly all OneWorld, complied with the travel departments policies and was less than what they initially quoted me. From that trip alone I will earn 145 status credits, all in discount economy on American codeshares. A similar thing happened for my trip to Frankfurt next month. I was initially quoted a flight with a Chinese airline but came back with a FinnAir quote after explaining that my Canadian citizenship precluded me from transiting in China (a long story). Sometimes it pays to put off booking business travel till the end. That way all that will be left in the booking systems are the more expensive Flex fares (which attract twice as much status credits). This happened to me last year at a conference where I learned I got accepted to present just a few weeks prior. Sometimes you can make the business case for delaying flight booking on the basis that you need to confirm a few things before you lock yourself into an inflexible ticket. Alternatively you can make the argument that a flex ticket is required just in case plans have to change (thereby ensuring you earn at a Flex rate).

For personal travel, well there are opportunities. If you are a Points Club member, you'll earn status credits on those classic award flights and sometimes the accrual is nothing to sneeze at. For instance, Sydney to Dallas earns you 80 status credits in business. Other times it might make sense to bite the bullet and just buy the ticket. Double status credit promotions are one great example, but another one is if you are lucky enough to be in the US. The reason I say that is status credit runs in the US are far easier than Australia. You've got two OneWorld carriers that will provide you with excellent status run opportunities. The US is also a large country with many major cities, and many many flights travelling between those cities. It is not uncommon for someone like me to fly around the country for a day to rack up several hundred status credits. Indeed when I am in the US in October I'll be flying Alaska from LA to Portland and then returning Portland to LA (via Seattle) all in business for $550 AUD which will net me 160 status credits. Not bad for a day of travel. In Australia you would be hard pressed to find such opportunities.

Looks like the value to get to Platinum isn't there this time around. Will try again next year and will wait for the DSC offer before booking first!
Timing is everything when it comes to status. You need to be a bit paranoid during the year ensuring that you are "on track" to earn you desired status. What I will tell you is that I didn't intend on going for Platinum this year. When I booked that DSC flight in March 2022 for travel in Jan 2023 my thinking was, this would easily get me to retaining Gold. I wouldn't need to worry about taking all these flights to secure the status. Well as it turned out QF rolled over 250 of my status credits, I was strategic in how I redeemed my loyalty bonus and green tier bonus in 2022 so they would apply in 2023. This meant I would start the year with 350 status credits out of the gate. Combine that with the aforementioned trip to NZ earning 480 status credits, a business trip to NZ on Flex which earned another 80 SCs and the occasional red e-deal regional flight and before you know it I was at 1000 SCs half way through the year. At that point it became obvious that I needed to try for Platinum.

The argument for trying for Platinum is actually a good one if you are in striking distance by the way. Think of it this way, if you earn Platinum this year you'll have Platinum status till what October 31, 2024? Then even if you don't fly much Qantas will soft land you down to Gold till October 31, 2025. If you still don't fly much they'll soft land you down to Silver till October 31, 2026. So effectively you are earning 3 years of status just by going for Platinum.

If you can engineer a way to earn those points, I would suggest doing it but I must warn you it will likely take some time and flexibility on your part to find flights that will not only earn the status credits and be in budget but also trips that are acceptable for you to take (I don't know your circumstances). For me flying out to Auckland for a couple of nights is no big deal, especially if there is a hotel near the airport (which shall remain nameless) that offers breakfast and costs only $19/night. Not everyone has that luxury of time and resources I understand. Still Gold is not a bad status to maintain. You could do FAR worse than Gold. It would just be nice to have that Platinum status and extra year of Gold status the following year without having to lift a finger.

-RooFlyer88

Timing those can be difficult, all we know is it happens sometime in March. And booking business travel it can be difficult to convince the business to wait a few days especially when they are concerned fares may go up.
The timing of the DSC offers does loosely follow a pattern but is still unpredictable. Below are dates for when I've noted offers (and/or acted on them). Some of them have been limited to e.g. flights to NZ only, or similar.

The pattern hints on end of March having high likelihood but there's also a late February timing in the mix. In other words, if you want to take an advantage of DSC, it pays off to have your travel plans drafted so that you can be on the lookout for the potential offers.

11/10/18
25/2/19
28/3/21
20/9/21
31/3/22
27/3/23

Keep in mind that the perk of requesting a release of a classic seat isn't a guarantee. Often times even Platinum 1s will have these requests rejected.

Timing those can be difficult, all we know is it happens sometime in March. And booking business travel it can be difficult to convince the business to wait a few days especially when they are concerned fares may go up. This year, I couldn't find anything obvious to take advantage of the DSC offer. Flights to NZ in J (my usual go to as it's an easy 480 SCs earned) were in the $2000 range. Meanwhile during the DSC promotion in 2022 I managed to snag an J flight to NZ for $1100 return. But I thought, surely there'll be other opportunities to travel for business where I get to earn status credits and sure enough they have just come along.

I think the key point here for business travel is you need to be strategic in how you book your flights. I don't know how the flight booking works for your organization, but where I work (a Uni) everything has to go through the travel department. I can't self-book anything, especially given the complexity of most of my travel. So how I "game" the system is ask the travel department to quote me flights I know will earn a high amount of status credits but are relatively affordable. For instance, on my trip to the US in October, the cheapest option was Star Alliance flying United Airlines to Pittsburgh. Well, a similar fare with American was about $300 more and after some playing around with Google flights, I was able to engineer an itinerary that was nearly all OneWorld, complied with the travel departments policies and was less than what they initially quoted me. From that trip alone I will earn 145 status credits, all in discount economy on American codeshares. A similar thing happened for my trip to Frankfurt next month. I was initially quoted a flight with a Chinese airline but came back with a FinnAir quote after explaining that my Canadian citizenship precluded me from transiting in China (a long story). Sometimes it pays to put off booking business travel till the end. That way all that will be left in the booking systems are the more expensive Flex fares (which attract twice as much status credits). This happened to me last year at a conference where I learned I got accepted to present just a few weeks prior. Sometimes you can make the business case for delaying flight booking on the basis that you need to confirm a few things before you lock yourself into an inflexible ticket. Alternatively you can make the argument that a flex ticket is required just in case plans have to change (thereby ensuring you earn at a Flex rate).

For personal travel, well there are opportunities. If you are a Points Club member, you'll earn status credits on those classic award flights and sometimes the accrual is nothing to sneeze at. For instance, Sydney to Dallas earns you 80 status credits in business. Other times it might make sense to bite the bullet and just buy the ticket. Double status credit promotions are one great example, but another one is if you are lucky enough to be in the US. The reason I say that is status credit runs in the US are far easier than Australia. You've got two OneWorld carriers that will provide you with excellent status run opportunities. The US is also a large country with many major cities, and many many flights travelling between those cities. It is not uncommon for someone like me to fly around the country for a day to rack up several hundred status credits. Indeed when I am in the US in October I'll be flying Alaska from LA to Portland and then returning Portland to LA (via Seattle) all in business for $550 AUD which will net me 160 status credits. Not bad for a day of travel. In Australia you would be hard pressed to find such opportunities.

Timing is everything when it comes to status. You need to be a bit paranoid during the year ensuring that you are "on track" to earn you desired status. What I will tell you is that I didn't intend on going for Platinum this year. When I booked that DSC flight in March 2022 for travel in Jan 2023 my thinking was, this would easily get me to retaining Gold. I wouldn't need to worry about taking all these flights to secure the status. Well as it turned out QF rolled over 250 of my status credits, I was strategic in how I redeemed my loyalty bonus and green tier bonus in 2022 so they would apply in 2023. This meant I would start the year with 350 status credits out of the gate. Combine that with the aforementioned trip to NZ earning 480 status credits, a business trip to NZ on Flex which earned another 80 SCs and the occasional red e-deal regional flight and before you know it I was at 1000 SCs half way through the year. At that point it became obvious that I needed to try for Platinum.

The argument for trying for Platinum is actually a good one if you are in striking distance by the way. Think of it this way, if you earn Platinum this year you'll have Platinum status till what October 31, 2024? Then even if you don't fly much Qantas will soft land you down to Gold till October 31, 2025. If you still don't fly much they'll soft land you down to Silver till October 31, 2026. So effectively you are earning 3 years of status just by going for Platinum.

If you can engineer a way to earn those points, I would suggest doing it but I must warn you it will likely take some time and flexibility on your part to find flights that will not only earn the status credits and be in budget but also trips that are acceptable for you to take (I don't know your circumstances). For me flying out to Auckland for a couple of nights is no big deal, especially if there is a hotel near the airport (which shall remain nameless) that offers breakfast and costs only $19/night. Not everyone has that luxury of time and resources I understand. Still Gold is not a bad status to maintain. You could do FAR worse than Gold. It would just be nice to have that Platinum status and extra year of Gold status the following year without having to lift a finger.

-RooFlyer88
I also made a few tactical mistakes along the way, like booking the wrong fares on American Airlines that weren't eligble for status credits. That combined with missing out on DSC really scuppered my chances. I'm already Points Club so at least I've been benefiting from earning SC's from Classic Reward.

You make a compelling argument here, especially the last paragraph where you go through the soft landing back to Gold. I think it will have to be next year as one status run trip I could stomach but 3 is a bridge too far. Thanks for the information though - heaps of things to consider for next year!

I also made a few tactical mistakes along the way, like booking the wrong fares on American Airlines that weren't eligble for status credits. That combined with missing out on DSC really scuppered my chances. I'm already Points Club so at least I've been benefiting from earning SC's from Classic Reward.
You mention that you booked the wrong fares on AA that didn't earn status credits. Could you elaborate more on this? In particular, what fare class was booked? It is my understanding that most (if not all) AA fares will earn some status credits. Another thing I would encourage you doing is going back to all travel you have taken and compare earned status credits (per the QFF Calculator) versus actual status credits. Sometimes status credits you should have earned don't post, or you earn in the wrong category. This is more common with partners than with QF per se but can still happen. I happen to have a spreadsheet where I track all of this activity since for me it's crucial I earn each and every status credit given my limited budget.
I think it will have to be next year as one status run trip I could stomach but 3 is a bridge too far.
Agreed that three is a bit much. Maybe you do it over a couple of weekends (i.e. depart Saturday return Sunday) but still quite a bit of travel. I'm sure there must be a smarter way to earn those status credits, perhaps on a single-day turn too and will leave it to those on the forum with more experience to comment about how one would go about doing this.

You mention that you booked the wrong fares on AA that didn't earn status credits. Could you elaborate more on this? In particular, what fare class was booked? It is my understanding that most (if not all) AA fares will earn some status credits. Another thing I would encourage you doing is going back to all travel you have taken and compare earned status credits (per the QFF Calculator) versus actual status credits. Sometimes status credits you should have earned don't post, or you earn in the wrong category. This is more common with partners than with QF per se but can still happen. I happen to have a spreadsheet where I track all of this activity since for me it's crucial I earn each and every status credit given my limited budget.

Agreed that three is a bit much. Maybe you do it over a couple of weekends (i.e. depart Saturday return Sunday) but still quite a bit of travel. I'm sure there must be a smarter way to earn those status credits, perhaps on a single-day turn too and will leave it to those on the forum with more experience to comment about how one would go about doing this.
When I tried to claim the points this is what Qantas said: Unsuccessful - airfare and booking class not eligible to earn. It was the cheapest fare available - but I can't remember what I booked!

When I tried to claim the points this is what Qantas said: Unsuccessful - airfare and booking class not eligible to earn. It was the cheapest fare available - but I can't remember what I booked!
Oh did you use the online tool to claim missing status credits? Your best bet is actually to call it in to get the status credits posted since QF's online tool is notorious for failing to claim missing status credits on partners.

Oh did you use the online tool to claim missing status credits? Your best bet is actually to call it in to get the status credits posted since QF's online tool is notorious for failing to claim missing status credits on partners.
I used the online enquiry and that was the response back. I'm assuming calling it in means calling in the call centre?

I used the online enquiry and that was the response back. I'm assuming calling it in means calling in the call centre?
Here are how the fare codes for your American flight apply to status credit accrual:
Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 20.29.06.png

The fare code itself should be found somewhere on the flight booked. You may have to look closely but you should see a letter indicating what fare code it is. So long as the fare code isn't B (i.e. for Basic Economy) or an award you should be receiving something.

-RooFlyer88

Here are how the fare codes for your American flight apply to status credit accrual:
View attachment 341067

The fare code itself should be found somewhere on the flight booked. You may have to look closely but you should see a letter indicating what fare code it is. So long as the fare code isn't B (i.e. for Basic Economy) or an award you should be receiving something.

-RooFlyer88
Mystery solved, fare code was B :(

Didnt know AA have fare codes below discount economy level. I checked the latest AA sale ($1300 or so) ex-SYD and it was at least discount economy (fare class O). Definitely a watchout and keep using the ITA matrix to check the fare codes before booking the flight, especially economy.

Didnt know AA have fare codes below discount economy level. I checked the latest AA sale ($1300 or so) ex-SYD and it was at least discount economy (fare class O). Definitely a watchout and keep using the ITA matrix to check the fare codes before booking the flight, especially economy.
I've bookmarked the earn category table now! Missed out on earning SC's on a stack of flights in Europe too. Rookie mistake. Thanks for the tips and tricks.

It is domestic USA travel where B class mainly rears its ugly head. It has no seat selection until checkin, can't be changed. No checked bags unless you have status.

It frustrating searching when the cheapest headline fares are generally 'b'asic economy. The upcharge to O or N is generally significant.

I've bookmarked the earn category table now! Missed out on earning SC's on a stack of flights in Europe too. Rookie mistake. Thanks for the tips and tricks.
The most important skill you can have as a frequent flyer is being details oriented. Something as simple as a single letter fare code can make a huge difference on status credit accrual in any of the frequent flyer programs. Keep in mind too that not all partners are created equal, some partners will earn fewer status credits than you expect (i.e. Malaysian Airlines) others may very well earn more. And then of course the flight number on your ticket says a lot. You'll earn more status credits on a flight that has a QF flight number attached to it than a partner, even if that partner is operating the flight. For instance, Emirates flights booked with an Emirates flight number earn 0 status credits whereas Emirates flights booked with a Qantas flight number will earn Qantas accrual rates. Another example I brought up earlier in the strategy forum was that connecting flights are almost always preferred over non-stop for the simple reason that status credits are calculated per flight. So Sydney to Canberra will only earn 10 status credits as a red e-deal but Sydney to Canberra (via Melbourne) will earn 20 status credits booked as a red-edeal. Often those connecting flights are more expensive, but the way around that is to simply wait for Qantas to make a change to a flight, then call them up and ask them to rebook you on a connecting flight for free.

Sometimes these distinctions matter if you plan on earning status, in other cases you could care less. Case in point, I've got a Delta flight from Pittsburgh to Minneapolis that's booked in Basic Economy. I'm not planning on re-qualifying for Delta elite status this year but I don't see any point in paying more for benefits I already have as a Delta Gold Elite this year.

-RooFlyer88

Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

It is domestic USA travel where B class mainly rears its ugly head. It has no seat selection until checkin, can't be changed. No checked bags unless you have status.

It frustrating searching when the cheapest headline fares are generally 'b'asic economy. The upcharge to O or N is generally significant.
You are right, generally speaking domestic fares in the Americas and Europe tend to have this "basic economy" versus regular economy distinction (although some airlines like Air Canada even have basic economy apply to flights to Oceania). What I will suggest to people is if you are flying to the US and have to make several stops, your best bet is to book it as a multi-city. The reason being is that the multi-city will generally force the domestic sectors to ticket as a normal economy fare as it is my understanding that most inter-continental fare constructions involving AA prevent you from mixing basic economy with normal economy. And as an added benefit you generally won't pay more for it compared to booking a simple return/open-jaw from AU to USA and then booking everything else as economy. There are specialists tools you can subscribe to like ExpertFlyer which will let you look at things like fare rules. Yes it is very technical but if you understand how a fare is constructed sometimes you can really stretch that international trip to get every last status credit without paying a cent more.The other option I suppose is booking direct with your corporate travel agent who may not have basic economy loaded into the GDS (good riddance!) Sometimes (and I know this will sound strange) booking a business class (termed First class in the US) ticket will only cost slightly more than a normal economy ticket, and depending employer could be negotiated (i.e. you got me going AA economy to LAX, the least you can do is put me up in business to SFO).

What is particularly appealing here are the status credit accruals can be substantial. SFO to LAX on Alaska regularly sells for $149 AUD one-way in business and that attracts 40 status credits right there. I would challenge anyone on the QF forums to provide me with a more compelling status credit option here in Australia outside of the occasional DSC promotion. And the best part? That's a one hour flight and Alaska operates that flight many times a day. It would be quite easy going up and down the California coast in J on a given day earning those 40 status credits each time. Also so far as I can tell is to simply book Alaska Airlines whenever possible since even their most basic fare tickets into an X which will still attract status credits at the discounted economy rate.

But again, and to my point you need to stay vigilant when booking. I leave nothing up to chance when I ticket, with an understanding of what I intend to get out of each booking in terms of status and these are minimum status credits by the way. Should the airline schedule change on me you better believe I'm looking for a new routing that will deliver even more status credits. It should never come as a surprise to any of your how many status credits you'll be at in a given time. Sure last minute trips come up and are booked but you should get a good picture of where you'll be 3-6 months into the program year and make determinations based on that. I would say by my 2nd month this year it was obvious that Platinum was the way to go as I was already at 1000 status credits and it would be bonkers to think I couldn't scrape another 400 status credits in the span of 10 months.

One day I'll post on the strategy forum a walk through of how this kangaroo plans on their travel for status credit accrual, as I suspect it will interest many trying to optimize travel for status credits.

-RooFlyer88

Basic economy is coming to BA in the near future too, so another one to throw into the mix. Even more basic than their current HBO fares.
And AY has also recently introduced it. Interestingly enough, all Y fares use the same booking class (in this case, they book into Z which QFF recognises as discount economy).

Attachments

• 2023-08-30 12_05_45-Select flights _ Finnair.jpg
    2023-08-30 12_05_45-Select flights _ Finnair.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 15
And AY has also recently introduced it. Interestingly enough, all Y fares use the same booking class (in this case, they book into Z which QFF recognises as discount economy).
yeah i noticed this too when looking at ay options to europe a few months back.

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back