Closing Citibank card

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelfly

Hiya, I phoned Citibank yesterday to close my account (cr card - gold). They asked if they could offer me 5000 reward points to keep my account open!! I said yes. I wonder if I'll get the same offer next month??!

Last edited:
What's the average monthly spend on your account and do you pay off in full or minimum only?

I just got my free Gold Card so I dont think i'd be in any hurry to close that but the 5000 points is certainly a good offer, you should have asked for 10,000 and said then i'll stay, they'd have probably given it to you!

haha, yes I thought of that after I hung up!! Monthly spend? I have had this card for about 3 years & have never used it!! I got it on one of their 3.99% balance transfer deals and have always just considered it a loan. They called me a "valued customer", not sure why exactly. Seemed like money for jam.

I think they only look at how long you've had the card, not how much you use it.

Excellent! I am planning to close my plat card next month before the annual fee is due in April. Wonder if they offer me anything :)

kelfly said:
Good Luck oz Mark, I hope they do!!

Well, the offered me a $100 discount on the annual fee ($150 instead of $250). End result, I no longer have a Citibank Platinum card.

I never seem to have any luck getting bonuses for staying!
Even on the cards that I spend heaps on!

The primary reason I closed the account was that they reduced my interest free days from 25 days after statement date to 14 days after statement date, which made the card somewhat less valuable to me (given the fees for a platinum card). I did get passed to a 'relationship manager', due to the length of time I had held a card for (>10 years). In the end, we were unable to agree on something that worked (why pay $250 or after discount offered $150 for a card where the benefits of the card to me were negligible). To be honest the Plat card offered me nothing over what a gold card may have given. Sure it has extra features, but nothing I used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back