Closing Citibank card

Discussion in 'American Express Rewards' started by kelfly, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. kelfly

kelfly Junior Member

Aug 13, 2006
    #1 kelfly, Jan 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
    Hiya, I phoned Citibank yesterday to close my account (cr card - gold). They asked if they could offer me 5000 reward points to keep my account open!! I said yes. I wonder if I'll get the same offer next month??!

2. Cyberdog100

Cyberdog100 Intern

Dec 29, 2006
    What's the average monthly spend on your account and do you pay off in full or minimum only?

I just got my free Gold Card so I dont think i'd be in any hurry to close that but the 5000 points is certainly a good offer, you should have asked for 10,000 and said then i'll stay, they'd have probably given it to you!

3. kelfly

kelfly Junior Member

Aug 13, 2006
    haha, yes I thought of that after I hung up!! Monthly spend? I have had this card for about 3 years & have never used it!! I got it on one of their 3.99% balance transfer deals and have always just considered it a loan. They called me a "valued customer", not sure why exactly. Seemed like money for jam.

4. Andy

Andy Junior Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Heve they waived the yearly service fee as well?

5. kelfly

kelfly Junior Member

Aug 13, 2006
    No, I'll ask for that next month!!

6. StevePER

StevePER Established Member

Oct 17, 2004
    PER
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    I think they only look at how long you've had the card, not how much you use it.

7. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Excellent! I am planning to close my plat card next month before the annual fee is due in April. Wonder if they offer me anything :)

8. kelfly

kelfly Junior Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Good Luck oz Mark, I hope they do!!

9. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Well, the offered me a $100 discount on the annual fee ($150 instead of $250). End result, I no longer have a Citibank Platinum card.

10. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    I never seem to have any luck getting bonuses for staying!
    Even on the cards that I spend heaps on!

11. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The primary reason I closed the account was that they reduced my interest free days from 25 days after statement date to 14 days after statement date, which made the card somewhat less valuable to me (given the fees for a platinum card). I did get passed to a 'relationship manager', due to the length of time I had held a card for (>10 years). In the end, we were unable to agree on something that worked (why pay $250 or after discount offered $150 for a card where the benefits of the card to me were negligible). To be honest the Plat card offered me nothing over what a gold card may have given. Sure it has extra features, but nothing I used.