Closing Citibank card | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Closing Citibank card

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelfly

Hiya, I phoned Citibank yesterday to close my account (cr card - gold). They asked if they could offer me 5000 reward points to keep my account open!! I said yes. I wonder if I'll get the same offer next month??!

Last edited:

Cyberdog100

Intern
What's the average monthly spend on your account and do you pay off in full or minimum only?

I just got my free Gold Card so I dont think i'd be in any hurry to close that but the 5000 points is certainly a good offer, you should have asked for 10,000 and said then i'll stay, they'd have probably given it to you!

kelfly

haha, yes I thought of that after I hung up!! Monthly spend? I have had this card for about 3 years & have never used it!! I got it on one of their 3.99% balance transfer deals and have always just considered it a loan. They called me a "valued customer", not sure why exactly. Seemed like money for jam.

StevePER

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I think they only look at how long you've had the card, not how much you use it.

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Excellent! I am planning to close my plat card next month before the annual fee is due in April. Wonder if they offer me anything :)

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
kelfly said:
Good Luck oz Mark, I hope they do!!
Well, the offered me a $100 discount on the annual fee ($150 instead of $250). End result, I no longer have a Citibank Platinum card.

aus_flyer

Established Member
I never seem to have any luck getting bonuses for staying!
Even on the cards that I spend heaps on!

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
The primary reason I closed the account was that they reduced my interest free days from 25 days after statement date to 14 days after statement date, which made the card somewhat less valuable to me (given the fees for a platinum card). I did get passed to a 'relationship manager', due to the length of time I had held a card for (>10 years). In the end, we were unable to agree on something that worked (why pay $250 or after discount offered $150 for a card where the benefits of the card to me were negligible). To be honest the Plat card offered me nothing over what a gold card may have given. Sure it has extra features, but nothing I used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ciri