Business Class to London | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Business Class to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussiegirl

Newbie
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
2
Hi there,

I am looking to travel one-way to London in May'06
I notice that QFF Business class availability is non-existent. Is it just me or does Qantas offer little or no business class award seats?

Would me paying for an economy and then attempting the upgrade with QFF points be a better option, or can I safely assume that the absence of business class award seats mean that business class upgrade awards would also be non-existent?

This is for the Melbourne - London route.

Thanks for your help...
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,266
Flights
My Map
May is in peak tourist season for the UK, so seats would be pretty scarce.

There is some availability in June (at least June 5), but doubt if that helps too much.

Qantas releases a small number of seats in each class on flights. How many they release (and if/when they release more) is not really known.

Qantas FF's can access the seats 353 days in advance, which means that people have already grabbed the available seats anything up to ~280 days ago (May/June last year).

There are chances that more seats will become available leading up to May, but I don't know the likelyhood of this happening.

Frequent Flyer Friend (http://www.frequentflyerfriend.com) is one way you can try and keep track of newly released seats.

Alternatively, what you might want to try is some alternative routings using a Partner award. Eg. MEL-HKG (Qantas)/ HKG-LHR (Cathay) or something similar. You would need to call up Qantas and ask them to do some searches for you to try this. You also pay an assisted booking fee of 2500 points per passenger if you book this way.

You could also try and get flights to London from Brisbane or Sydney, then get a domestic award (or paid ticket) and then connect to it.

As for your upgrade chances, a lot of that depends on your status with Qantas. Are you Platinum or Gold? If not, I think your chances are very low. Others may be able to give a better idea of the kind of load on flights to LHR in May.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,411
Flights
My Map
aussiegirl said:
Hi there,

I am looking to travel one-way to London in May'06
I notice that QFF Business class availability is non-existent. Is it just me or does Qantas offer little or no business class award seats?

Would me paying for an economy and then attempting the upgrade with QFF points be a better option, or can I safely assume that the absence of business class award seats mean that business class upgrade awards would also be non-existent?

This is for the Melbourne - London route.

Thanks for your help...
I would suggest having a very close look at the QF29 flights. These have recently been recheduled to depart from MEL and as such, may have greater first/business award availabilty.

They certainly have pleny of WHY availabilty.
 

macca172

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2005
Messages
41
I flew QF to Paris in October 04. Paid for an economy ticket and requested FF points upgrade to business. Answer "NO" upgrade award seats available on that sector. Ok no probs, left SYD and bingo, knew one of the crew, asked was there any empty seats in business? Answer, yes we are only 1/4 capacity.......the moral to the story "you tell me as I cant figure it out"!
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
macca172 said:
I flew QF to Paris in October 04. Paid for an economy ticket and requested FF points upgrade to business. Answer "NO" upgrade award seats available on that sector. Ok no probs, left SYD and bingo, knew one of the crew, asked was there any empty seats in business? Answer, yes we are only 1/4 capacity.......the moral to the story "you tell me as I cant figure it out"!
This is now addressed with the new international upgrade waitlist process. Back in October 04, under the previous upgrade rules, there ad to be U seat availability for the upgrade to be cleared. Now, the waitlist is revised in a different manner based on unsold seats rather than availability in a specific fare bucket.
 

Leumas

Active Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Messages
549
NM said:
This is now addressed with the new international upgrade waitlist process. Back in October 04, under the previous upgrade rules, there ad to be U seat availability for the upgrade to be cleared. Now, the waitlist is revised in a different manner based on unsold seats rather than availability in a specific fare bucket.
I wonder how many seats they hold back for last-minute sales or will they upgrade as many as possible to fill the cabin/clear the queue...

I assume QF has plenty of stats on each route to know how many to upgrade...
 

auriga

Active Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2005
Messages
811
Leumas said:
I wonder how many seats they hold back for last-minute sales or will they upgrade as many as possible to fill the cabin/clear the queue...

...
I suspect they don't try to fill up the business cabin. Last week, on my late evening flight from Sydney to Singapore, the lower business deck probably only one quarter filled.
 

markis10

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2004
Messages
30,091
auriga said:
Leumas said:
I wonder how many seats they hold back for last-minute sales or will they upgrade as many as possible to fill the cabin/clear the queue...

...
I suspect they don't try to fill up the business cabin. Last week, on my late evening flight from Sydney to Singapore, the lower business deck probably only one quarter filled.
QF31 is often the available flight at short notice, I suspect its yield has been low and that is why it is not being continued in its current form form next month.
 

Skyring

Established Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2005
Messages
1,972
Flights
My Map
auriga said:
Leumas said:
I wonder how many seats they hold back for last-minute sales or will they upgrade as many as possible to fill the cabin/clear the queue...

...
I suspect they don't try to fill up the business cabin. Last week, on my late evening flight from Sydney to Singapore, the lower business deck probably only one quarter filled.
The last thing Qantas (or any other airline) would want to do is fill up business class with freebie upgrades. Full fare paying business class travellers prefer a cabin that isn't full. The idea is to maximise profits, not make economy pax happy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,621
Messages
1,884,920
Members
49,503
Latest member
Borgbear
Top