Breaking News: SYD airport shut down until further notice | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Breaking News: SYD airport shut down until further notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK

AFF Supporter
I am sitting in the QP waiting to board QF575 to Perth when an announcement was just made. The staff on the tarmac have walked off the job due to possible electrical activity about from the storm warning. I can understand them being concerned as I would not want to be anywhere near an aircraft with lightning around. They will make an announcement again when boarding flights will resume.

I think I will be OK as I have a 4 hour transit in PER but I think some people are not going to make their meetings or further connections this morning.

serfty

Flights
My Map
Looks like the flights have started to depart SYD again.

Generally between 15 and 50 minutes late ...

serfty

Flights
My Map
More info:
Code:
Message at 08:10 - 

qf575 delayed depart ex syd due syd storms   

tarmac closed 0747hrs

etdn 0900hrs   ats

d15.in.oz

I am in the city, close enough to the airport...and another front has just started to pass overhead. The thunder noises have been LOUD over night, even for Sydney!

JohnK

AFF Supporter
In total the tarmac was closed for around 1/2 hour.

QF575 was actually late waiting for a rogue passenger! Got in to Perth on time but that is another story.

NM

Flights
My Map
Its interesting how an electrical storm is such a dangerous activity in Sydney and many places in the USA (had the same thing at DFW several times). Yet in KUL the daily thunder storm is not a dangerous event at all.

Tuesday evening I was able to enjoy the sights and sounds of a typical tropical storm, complete with ground-striking lightning in very close proximity to the airport, while the engineers replaces the bulb in one of the underside beacon strobes on our aircraft. Once that replacement was tested we were pushed back, taxied and took-off into the dark clouds.

Perhaps the Malaysian ground staff are less conductive than Australian ground staff and hence not in any danger of lightning strikes? Or is it just that labour is cheaper in KL and so the cost of replacing fried ground staff is less than the cost of delayed flights?

Shano

Established Member
Flights
My Map
NM said:
Perhaps the Malaysian ground staff are less conductive than Australian ground staff and hence not in any danger of lightning strikes? Or is it just that labour is cheaper in KL and so the cost of replacing fried ground staff is less than the cost of delayed flights?
You might be onto something - higher beer consumption of Australian ground staff -> higher concentration of electrolytes in blood stream -> higher electrical conductivity -> more easily fried

NM

Flights
My Map
Shano said:
You might be onto something - higher beer consumption of Australian ground staff -> higher concentration of electrolytes in blood stream -> higher electrical conductivity -> more easily fried
Or maybe for the Malaysian staff, its more a case of "more easily fired"?

Maca44

AFF Supporter
I think it was Golf Professional Lee Trevino who said that when in an electrical storm hold a 2 iron in the air because even god can't hit a 2 iron.

Maca44

AFF Supporter
Lindsay Wilson said:
Almost, but not quite - he was talking about a 1 Iron
I was only one number off, and I think his comment is correct which is why a lot of players have gone to a rescue club.

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
I am sitting in the QP waiting to board QF575 to Perth when an announcement was just made. The staff on the tarmac have walked off the job due to possible electrical activity about from the storm warning. I can understand them being concerned as I would not want to be anywhere near an aircraft with lightning around. They will make an announcement again when boarding flights will resume.
I've lost count of the number of times I have been sat at a closed Sydney Airport. Melbourne outdid it recently, when the airfield closed twice while I was waiting for my flight

Kiwi Flyer

NM said:
Its interesting how an electrical storm is such a dangerous activity in Sydney and many places in the USA (had the same thing at DFW several times). Yet in KUL the daily thunder storm is not a dangerous event at all.

Tuesday evening I was able to enjoy the sights and sounds of a typical tropical storm, complete with ground-striking lightning in very close proximity to the airport, while the engineers replaces the bulb in one of the underside beacon strobes on our aircraft. Once that replacement was tested we were pushed back, taxied and took-off into the dark clouds.

Ditto for SIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gaphjam