BNE AIRPORT RUNWAY DEVELOPMENTS - BETTER QP VIEWS | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

BNE AIRPORT RUNWAY DEVELOPMENTS - BETTER QP VIEWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groundfeeder

Active Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2005
Messages
651
Just been looking at a few plans showing the layout of the airport following the construction of the parallel runway.

Principally the existing Casuarina and Acacia Streets servicing the GA area will become the main taxiway between the two runways, with an underpass (similar to Sydney) for Dryander Road to access the GA. RWY 14/32 will remain but -depending on which plan one looks at - may be used as a a high speed taxiway from the eastern ends of 01L.

Interestingly, it appears in this concept that the new 01L/19R is principally to be used for 01 landings as the high speed runway turnoffs seem to be angled to favour this direction.

My impression is that the view from the northern and eastern windows of the BNE QP will dramatically improve with the major tarmac activities of aircraft taxiing to and from 01L/19R and associated approaches/departures should enliven the outlook between those trips to the bar.

There is also a significant new road link from the Gateway to the southern industrial area crossing between the DFO and Export Park, with linkages to the INT and DOM terminals which should improve access from the north.

Interesting times BUT its going to be a loooooonng time digging up the airport again.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mal

Damien

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
300
Groundfeeder said:
My impression is that the view from the northern and eastern windows of the BNE QP will dramatically improve with the major tarmac activities of aircraft taxiing to and from 01L/19R and associated approaches/departures should enliven the outlook between those trips to the bar.
That is good news.

Groundfeeder said:
There is also a significant new road link from the Gateway to the southern industrial area crossing between the DFO and Export Park, with linkages to the INT and DOM terminals which should improve access from the north.
That is even better news. Traffic has been a nightmare since the DFO went in.
 

markis10

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2004
Messages
30,091
Damien said:
That is even better news. Traffic has been a nightmare since the DFO went in.
You can bypass the whole DFO thing by taking the trip through the back way near the army barracks, road is meant to be closed but it often is not. The corporate park has also been putting a lot on pressure on the roads with a lolipop man now working morning shift to make sure the traffic going to work does not hold up the traffic leaving the airport!
 

Damien

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
300
markis10 said:
You can bypass the whole DFO thing by taking the trip through the back way near the army barracks, road is meant to be closed but it often is not. The corporate park has also been putting a lot on pressure on the roads with a lolipop man now working morning shift to make sure the traffic going to work does not hold up the traffic leaving the airport!
Thank you markis10! I'll try that next week.
 

QF WP

Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
15,836
Flights
My Map
Damien, if you are travelling there in peak hour (not knowing which side of town you are travelling from), I have found a slightly longer but in the end much quicker way, that avoids the Arterial Road / Nudgee Road / Roundabout mess.

As I live at Chermside, I have found that going north on Sandgate Road and turning right (at the roundabout) onto Toombul Road. This then leads you all the way to the roundabout that leads you onto the Gateway (heading south) and you go off at the next exit (Airport). This exit takes you on a separate lane (without connecting to the roundabout) and you are onto Airport Drive without stopping.

I have another more convoluted route, but that's impossible to explain simply. Involves more back streets off Sandgate Road...
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
Lindsay Wilson said:
As I live at Chermside, I have found that going north on Sandgate Road and turning right (at the roundabout) onto Toombul Road. This then leads you all the way to the roundabout that leads you onto the Gateway (heading south) and you go off at the next exit (Airport). This exit takes you on a separate lane (without connecting to the roundabout) and you are onto Airport Drive without stopping.
That's basically the same way as I go, except I come south along Sandgate Rd to Toombul Rd. This is the way my limo driver always goes also. Its much more reliable timing than the Gateway Arterial from the North.
 

Groundfeeder

Active Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2005
Messages
651
markis10
You can bypass the whole DFO thing by taking the trip through the back way near the army barracks, road is meant to be closed but it often is not. The corporate park has also been putting a lot on pressure on the roads with a lolipop man now working morning shift to make sure the traffic going to work does not hold up the traffic leaving the airport!
A week ago the cab fare was showing about $20 just to get onto Kingsford Smith Dve from BNE DOM via the Gateway. I've done every possible route out of this place (to The Gap) but it generally totals about the same when I can eventually drag my guts out of the cab, so I remain, as always, courteous but firm.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
82,030
Messages
1,897,300
Members
49,872
Latest member
Ciri
Top