Bad Timing Changes for my Free Platinum Flight

Discussion in 'American Express Rewards' started by wiz, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. wiz

wiz Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Perth
    I recently had a call from Amex Travel (Platinum Credit Card) to advise of a timing change on my complimentary flight (outbound SYD - PER), which was a rather significant change. I requested to the consultant that she not "confirm" the timing change as I may not be able to travel at that time.

In normal circumstances, Qantas would offer a full refund or flight change at no charge. However the refund option can not apply (as I didn't pay), and the latter alternative is no good for me due to a strict schedule I must adhere to.

Can anyone advise me of my options? Ideally I would like the booking cancelled, and my free Platinum flight re-instated for later use, but I doubt this would be allowed.

2. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I don't think there is any distinction between a paid flight, award flight or complimentary flight. In fact I would have thought that a paid flight is the same as a complimentary flight as technically they are both revenue flights to QF, one paid by you the other paid by Amex on your behalf.

If there has been some sort of schedule change, including timing change, then in theory you should be able to cancel and rebook if you have been inconvenienced.

I have in the past cancelled award flights, free of charge, when there has been scheduled changes that did not suit me.

3. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The American Express Flight Offer Conditions state this:

The Qantas Conditions of Carriage state this:

So.....Qantas seem willing to give a refund or credit. You will need to take up with Amex (or indeed Qantas Holidays) as to how this is implemented in this particular case.