Bad Timing Changes for my Free Platinum Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiz

I recently had a call from Amex Travel (Platinum Credit Card) to advise of a timing change on my complimentary flight (outbound SYD - PER), which was a rather significant change. I requested to the consultant that she not "confirm" the timing change as I may not be able to travel at that time.

In normal circumstances, Qantas would offer a full refund or flight change at no charge. However the refund option can not apply (as I didn't pay), and the latter alternative is no good for me due to a strict schedule I must adhere to.

Can anyone advise me of my options? Ideally I would like the booking cancelled, and my free Platinum flight re-instated for later use, but I doubt this would be allowed.

wiz said:
In normal circumstances, Qantas would offer a full refund or flight change at no charge. However the refund option can not apply (as I didn't pay), and the latter alternative is no good for me due to a strict schedule I must adhere to.

Can anyone advise me of my options? Ideally I would like the booking cancelled, and my free Platinum flight re-instated for later use, but I doubt this would be allowed.
I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I don't think there is any distinction between a paid flight, award flight or complimentary flight. In fact I would have thought that a paid flight is the same as a complimentary flight as technically they are both revenue flights to QF, one paid by you the other paid by Amex on your behalf.

If there has been some sort of schedule change, including timing change, then in theory you should be able to cancel and rebook if you have been inconvenienced.

I have in the past cancelled award flights, free of charge, when there has been scheduled changes that did not suit me.

The American Express Flight Offer Conditions state this:

All travel is subject to the Qantas Fare Conditions and Qantas Conditions of Carriage as amended from time to time. No Qantas Frequent Flyer points will be awarded for travel on these flights. Qantas may change, cancel or restrict flight operations without notice.

View the full Qantas Fare Conditions

View the full Qantas Conditions of Carriage

The Qantas Conditions of Carriage state this:

(c) If, after you buy your ticket, we make a significant change to the scheduled departure time of your flight:

and you find this change unacceptable; and
we or our Authorised Agents cannot book you on another flight which you are prepared to accept
Then, we will give you a fare refund (to the extent that the purchase price paid for the fare exceeds our reasonably incurred administration costs) or a credit for the non-refundable part of the fare for future travel with us.

So.....Qantas seem willing to give a refund or credit. You will need to take up with Amex (or indeed Qantas Holidays) as to how this is implemented in this particular case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back