Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

AVOD - Audio Video On Demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 9370

Guest
Are Qantas still having problems with their AVOD? Am off to LAX end June-hope it is working for the 14 hours.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,328
Solutions
10
Points
3,285
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Going by my experience; methinks you'll have about a ¾ chance of it working throughout the flight in June.
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
349
Points
0
subharpoon said:
Are Qantas still having problems with their AVOD? Am off to LAX end June-hope it is working for the 14 hours.

Yes Qantas is still experiencing problems with their RC AVOD system. It's really the luck of the draw - some days the system may work fine, yet other days may go u/s on a long haul sector.

We really should keep an AVOD reliability log here - it would be interesting to compare the experiences of different people on different aircraft.

Some aircraft had AVOD installed this year and some have had patches and fixes applied - still doesn't guarantee the system will work though.

Rgds
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,358
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
serfty said:
Going by my experience; methinks you'll have about a ¾ chance of it working throughout the flight in June.
Is that three quarters of a percent chance of it working?
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,328
Solutions
10
Points
3,285
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
NM said:
Is that three quarters of a percent chance of it working?
nup, 3 out of 4 times, or 75%.

This relates to the number of avod equipped 747's I have flown internationally. It worked for me for the whole flight 3 times and it did not work for the whole flight once (although it was working when I woke up).
 

Mal

Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,385
Points
10
NM said:
Is that three quarters of a percent chance of it working?

Lol!! It's still spelt wrong (should be called AVOiD). Havn't been on any AVOD flights for a while though, so don't have any recent experiences on how it's going.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Wunala Dreaming said:
We really should keep an AVOD reliability log here - it would be interesting to compare the experiences of different people on different aircraft.
I have had 17 international return flights in 4 years and only once had a non functional AVOD for the duration of the flight. There have been times when the system had to be rebooted but had functionality for the remainder of the flight.

Only problem was SIN-MEL flight on 747. There was functioning AVOD in other seats I just did not fancy swapping my forward aisle seat for a middle seat down the back. I got a $50 duty free voucher in flight and a $100 voucher from QF customer service.
 
D

Deleted member 9370

Guest
Thanks everyone-looks like a good book is in order.
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,642
Points
10
subharpoon said:
Thanks everyone-looks like a good book is in order.

Or a computer, private selection of DVD's, and in seat power.:p
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,358
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Reggie said:
Or a computer, private selection of DVD's, and in seat power.:p
Yep, that is my choice. Just ordered Season 1 through 5 of 24. That's 34 DVD's. Should keep me going to a DONE4.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
I very rarely use the AVOD - its always TV shows popped onto the HDD of the laptop - and in first you have space to watch the laptop and eat dinner :D
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,642
Points
10
NM said:
Yep, that is my choice. Just ordered Season 1 through 5 of 24. That's 34 DVD's. Should keep me going to a DONE4.

NM, what a waste of money. 24 condensed to one sentence

"Jack faces up against the enemy, gets hurt, looses freinds and family, almost dies. but doesn't and he save the world - five times now"

Soprano's now thats value for money.:)
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,328
Solutions
10
Points
3,285
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
serfty said:
nup, 3 out of 4 times, or 75%.

This relates to the number of avod equipped 747's I have flown internationally. It worked for me for the whole flight 3 times and it did not work for the whole flight once (although it was working when I woke up).
Now 4 out of 5 or 80%

That's on 744's; I have many SYD-MEL flights on 333 (RIP QF188 :() but Avod always worked, one PER-SIN on 333 and it worked fine.
 
Credit cards which earn frequent flyer points is a popular way to earn frequent flyer points. You can receive thousands of points on everyday spend. And, many of these cards offer generous signup bonuses! Compare to find the credit card that best suits your needs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Tooner

Active Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
759
Points
10
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum
I'm 2/3 on 744s, and when it didn't work on the last one (HGK - SYD) the endless loop played.

100% on 333s.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,358
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Reggie said:
NM, what a waste of money. 24 condensed to one sentence

"Jack faces up against the enemy, gets hurt, looses freinds and family, almost dies. but doesn't and he save the world - five times now"

Soprano's now thats value for money.:)
Don't you just hate it when someone tells you how a movie ends ... six times :( .
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,642
Points
10
NM said:
Don't you just hate it when someone tells you how a movie ends ... six times :( .

Dont watch Flight 93 then, the ending is predictable
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,358
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Reggie said:
Dont watch Flight 93 then, the ending is predictable
LOL. I guess they won't be making an alternate ending version then.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top