ANZ Frequent Flyer Black Card (NEW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting this.

I have the normal rewards black and I would prefer that because you earn more Velocity points per dollar on the Visa plus you can transfer to SQ/CX. While QFF points are still valuable, their fuel surcharges on award bookings are really high. I've made a number of bookings on EY using VA points and the availability seems to be better than EK/QF and the surcharges are reasonable.

I could probably justify the annual fee if it was 1 pt/$ on the Visa as well as 1.5 pt/$ on AMEX... it's a bit tough without it though.

Will stick my cheap (grandfathered) ANZ Plat for AMEX and WOW/Macquarie Plat for MC/Visa spend.

Looks similar to what the very first ANZ FF card offered back in the 1990's -- except this has a $300 higher annual fee and less QFF per $ ;P

Last edited:
The 1.5pt/$ on Amex is same as Plat...but the 0.75pt/$ on the Visa is a bit of a let-down.

It does waive the joining fee for Qantas club though (which is $370 atm) and using this card, QC membership is $400/year (probably why no sign-on bonus)...it's also got 2 QC passes included per year.

I do agree though, 1pt/$ on Visa and I would have switched with closed eyes.

So far the only non-Amex I've seen with 1pt/$ is HSBC QF Platinum and Macquarie Visa Platinum QF.

So far the only non-Amex I've seen with 1pt/$ is HSBC QF Platinum and Macquarie Visa Platinum QF.

Based on the QF site, these also do (I don't have all these cards - some are subject to capping/have ridiculous annual fees):

Citi Sig/Select
Suncorp Clear Options Platinum
Woolworths Everyday Rewards Qantas Card
FF Diners Club Card with World Mastercard (Diners 1.5 pt/$ MC 1 pt/$)
Jetstar Platinum Card
Investex Signature
Qantas CU Platinum

I suppose if you're part of their Private Banking or file a claim with the financial ombudsman.

I suppose if you're part of their Private Banking or file a claim with the financial ombudsman.

Ombudsman for what? If you sign up to the card, you accept the T&Cs including the fee.

They will likely waive the fee if you're a private banking client, but that is strictly YMMV.

If this card had a deeper discount on QC membership, it would be a definite go-to.

It does include Veloce lounge membership (not as wide as PP) and waives the join fee on QP, but a discount of more than $85/yr on membership would be welcome too...

cross post from the bonus offer thread but i figure it's useful information here:

Finished going through my welcome pack, few things of note.

• No points for government charges (not ATO friendly)
  • Appears to pay points for ultilities, bpay & insurance (will test all of these soon enough)
  • Visa (black) earns 0.75 ppd & Amex (black) earns 1.5 ppd, unlike other banks there appears to be no additional points made for overseas transactions.

Travel

• Overseas transaction fees are 3% on both the visa and the amex, applicable to any transaction made with an overseas merchant, regardless of the currency, i.e. AUD transactions made overseas will still incur this 3% fee.
  • According to my letter of offer : "Your card is currently exempt from overseas cash advance fees", I have not noted this on any of my previous CC's (CBA, WBC, Citi) Of course you'd still be stung by the 3% currency conversion. Not horrible by comparison, but still not as good as citi plus
  • Travel insurance kicks in after $250 is spent on any prepaid part of the trip (airfare/hotel/cars/other transport) which would be pretty easy to meet.
  • 2 Qantas club passes on request, need to phone the concierge to claim these
  • Enrolment into the veloce program for unlimited lounge access at a number of overseas lounges for the primary and additional card holders. Additional cardholders are free in the first year

Cards themselves

• Chip & contactless on both cards (unlike westpac's black offering)
  • The level of the visa is not listed anywhere on the card or in any of the documentation. However a BIN/IIN search on the card reveals that it's a platinum level card for the purpose of visa privileges. For the minimum credit limit, i had expected that it'd be a signature.

Thats about everything interesting I noted.

Thanks for the summary jlien.

I have the about 9 documents from ANZ that arrived today that I hadn't got around to reading.

I am currently paying off a travel agent, I think I'll pay $250 of that on my card just for another insurance option!

• Travel insurance kicks in after $250 is spent on any prepaid part of the trip (airfare/hotel/cars/other transport) which would be pretty easy to meet..
As I noted in the other ANZ Black thread this is not correct. You need to also hold a return ticket to Australia, and to also meet all other eligibility conditions in the T&C (which most people would).

The return ticket is important as it means that if you do not have it, if you have booked say $5000 of land content and have to cancel, then you will not be covered.

• Overseas transaction fees are 3% on both the visa and the amex, applicable to any transaction made with an overseas merchant, regardless of the currency, i.e. AUD transactions made overseas will still incur this 3% fee.

I found myself thinking about this when i was making a payment on agoda.
Having AUD selected, I presume i would still be slugged with this 3% surcharge, correct me if i'm wrong.

I then wondered what would happen if I were to use a payment aggregator like paypal. Does this rule now mean that all paypal payments will be surcharged at 3%?

Does anyone know (or been successful) in transferring from a standard ANZ QFF Plat rewards cards to the FF black card?

There is another more comprehensive thread on this new card deal. The feeling was that you tell them this is a new application, not an upgrade.

Does anyone know (or been successful) in transferring from a standard ANZ QFF Plat rewards cards to the FF black card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back