Anyone know when ADL's new airport will finally open???

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by frequent passport user, Jan 17, 2006.

1. frequent passport user

frequent passport user Junior Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Am going next month & was hoping to use the new airport. I am a big fan of South Australia, but apparently there are STILL problems with contamination of fuel lines. Bit embarrassing for the state, especially with all the construction publicity etc. The way things are going you would think Adelaide was in New Zealand!
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

2. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    One of the last official comments from the airport was:

"AAL is unable to advise on the date for the likely transfer of domestic air services to the
    new terminal until the fuel hydrant system is fully operational."

The earliest it could possibly open using the current pipes is around a month from now. They still have more cleaning and testing to do.

What a shambles!

3. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Hi frequent passport user,

This is already covered in two other topics that I'm aware of.

You might be better advised to post this on one of those. 8) 8) 8) 8)

4. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I will be there in mid-February and I am not holding my breath. I will also be transitting there in mid-March.

As straitman mentioned there are two other threads to do with ADL airport so follow those closely for news if the new ADL terminal ever opens.

New Adelaide airport

Will Adelaides new airport ever open.

5. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    What's this supposed to mean?!

6. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Caught: One KIWI FLYER fish :!: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

7. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Didn't even need bait. :D

8. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Another report on the Adelaide airport debacle in The Australian.

9. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    And the airlines have given the thumbs down to using tankers, according to this report in The Australian.

10. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    I assume that these two companies must be paying hefty liquidated damages. Perhaps AAL is making more from this than operating from the new terminal.

11. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Was frustrating to drive past it last night (when I arrived in ADL from PER), with all lights blazing but nobody home. The taxi driver said the rumour is that it won't open until March...

I'll try and take a photo of it this afternoon as I get driven past it again on my way home...

12. BlacKnox

BlacKnox Active Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Airport finally ready for planes
    11-02-2006
    From: http://finance.news.com.au/story/0,10166,18116763-31037,00.html

SOUTH Australian Premier Mike Rann says he is relieved Adelaide's $260m airport will start operating domestic services next Friday.

The airport was opened last year, but fuel line problems meant domestic flights could not use the terminal.
    ExxonMobil Aviation Regional Operations Manager Scott Harris said the fuel lines had been cleaned out and now met international standards.

"Next week we expect to start using the new hydrant system for refuelling international flights, which are already operating from the new terminal," Mr Harris said.

"Domestic operations will commence once they can be relocated to the new terminal."

Mr Rann told ABC radio the opening of international and domestic terminals would end years of substandard airport facilities.

"For years Adelaide has been let down by its airport, for years we've had an airport that's been sub-standard. So at last we're getting a first-class airport," Mr Rann told the ABC.

"It's a few months late, but it's going to be around for decades."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    One day too late for me. Oh well get another chance to see it next month.

14. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I might be in luck, I am flying ADL-SYD next Friday, will just have to see if they make it.

15. coyote25

coyote25 Established Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Melbourne
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Well I've got a flight in on 21 Feb so if no one beats me to it I'll post about the new setup.

Have to say I don't go to Adelaide often and I didn't think I'd see it open before my big 6 month oversea holiday starting in April. I've been putting off my trip for a few months and just booked it 2 weeks ago because it can't wait anymore and they go and open the terminal :wink:

Remember visiting Ade in early Oct and the taxi driver going on and on about this great new terminal that was about to open. Wonder what he has been saying for the last 3 months :oops:

16. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Probably like most other Adelaideians over the last few months "Just don't mention the airport. What airport?"

Suprised it wasn't covered with massive tarps to try and hide it away :)

17. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Latest gos out of ADL is that the regionals aren't happy with the new setup as it doesn't give them any expansion room. REX is threatening to move back to the old terminal. :x :cry: 8) :roll: :wink:

18. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Yeah there is a good article here about it.

http://www.abc.net.au/sa/stories/s1567090.htm

19. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I flew SYD-MEL-ADL today. The Old terminal what an experience. I haven't had to walk the tarmac since the Phuket Air flight 3 years ago.

On the positive side all the staff are very optimistic (read hopeful) that new terminal will be up and running end of the week.

20. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    If you miss the experience, you should fly down to Tasmania. Then you can relive the experience in all it's glory :)

Will be great when the airport finally opens. The domestic terminal is on it's last legs.