Answered - Annual fee [waived when 'threatening' to cancel?] | Page 7 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Answered Annual fee [waived when 'threatening' to cancel?]

wxxnxs

I called up today to cancel the card, although I still get one more month to go, and was only offered $50 annual fee reduction, nothing else! No, thanks, I have got Citi Signature fee free for life, ANZ will be my next card to cancel.

get me outta here

AFF Supporter
Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
Seeing as I now have the BW World card that pays 1:1 for everything I thought I'd cancel this useless WOW card. I've cancelled all direct debits and run it down and just called to cancel. They went through the usual rhubarb on why I should keep it, so I asked for a total refund of the $89 I paid in May. She came back and said I could get a total refund or waiver next years's fee of $129, or whatever it was.

So, I requested the full refund, will monitor to balance the credit and debits and will cancel it later. Doh.

coles525

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Rang to cancel Comm Bank platinum earlier this week.

Offered for double points for spend over the next 2 billing cycles. Will ring back from Nov 7th. Unsure how many actual points, but not fussed. Will be recieving a letter with the info soon.

tim374

Just got a full waiver for the upcoming year. Mentioned I don't see the card as being value for money with the combination of annual fee and reduced points earn. The retention guy spruiked the travel insurance and dining benefits but I mentioned I have these through other cards with no fee. Will call back each year and cancel when they decide not to waive the fee.

Holysmoke

Intern
I have tried for a fee waiver on AMEX Platinum Edge with no luck, even after hinting of cancelling the card.

Sheriff

Just got a full waiver for the upcoming year. Mentioned I don't see the card as being value for money with the combination of annual fee and reduced points earn. The retention guy spruiked the travel insurance and dining benefits but I mentioned I have these through other cards with no fee. Will call back each year and cancel when they decide not to waive the fee.
Just waived the annual fee on Nab premium card in a similar fashion.

Sheriff

Offered for double points for spend over the next 2 billing cycles. Will ring back from Nov 7th. Unsure how many actual points, but not fussed. Will be recieving a letter with the info soon.
Got offered exactly the same offer for the next 2 billing cycles. Just received the letter confirming the offer. I too will be closing this card once the bonus points for this offer post to my QFF account.

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map

Wouldn't you be better off cancelling anyway and reapplying under the following offer to secure the 40,000 QFF points?

https://www.commbank.com.au/personal/credit-cards/credit-card-offers/qantas-40000-points-plus1.html

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Just waived the annual fee on Nab premium card in a similar fashion.
Not sure why you'd take this offer up.

You're much better cancelling and reapplying under a new offer to secure the new sign on bonus. There's no value for loyalty.

Sheriff

Not sure why you'd take this offer up.

You're much better cancelling and reapplying under a new offer to secure the new sign on bonus. There's no value for loyalty.
If I reapply I don't believe I would be entitled to another new sign on bonus because I have already received 2 x 40k bonuses (Platinum and Premium) and a $250 bank cheque for a complaint I registered with the bank.

DeKa

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I got my WW EDR Visa annual fee waived again. Called, and said I wanted to cancel as there was no value in the card anymore with an effective limit on points earning. Was put through to customer solutions. Said I wanted to cancel due to low value. They told me the insurance was worth paying the fee for, but I countered. I asked for the payout, and they said they'd waive the fee.

tgh

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I just cancelled , got the call and will keep it for another year fee free on both primary and supplementary cards.
I really didn't care and I guess it showed, I'm over paying annual fee's to earn nearly useless ff points.

tim374

Just had the fee charged despite being waived. Looks like another call is coming once I find my paper with the call reference number

tgh

Established Member
AFF Supporter
They did say that my annual fee would be charged on the anniversary date and refunded via a credit the following month.

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
I try to put $2500 ATO on those cards but sometimes I forget. Even $5,000 a month to ATO earns 3,750 points at a cost of 0.63 cents each. Annual fee free is a way to keep from cancelling.

Bofter

I called to cancel and was offered a full fee waiver. I cancelled anyway as I am actually serious about consolidating cards, not just searching for waivers. I had been pretty consistently putting around $2k per month through the card if that serves as a reference for fee waiver eligibility.

tekkyy

annual fee coming up in 5 weeks
asked nicely for it to be waived

took me to customer solutions
and then declined to waive

$4k per month doesn't appear enough
too hard

not going to bother with this card
this is going to hurt Woolies more than Macquarie Bank

Last edited:

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
annual fee coming up in 5 weeks
asked nicely for it to be waived

took me to customer solutions
and then declined to waive

$4k per month doesn't appear enough
too hard

not going to bother with this card
this is going to hurts Woolies more than Macquarie Bank
You should definitely cancel. There are a large number of generous sign up bonuses on offer at the moment. See here to start your search:

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/current-credit-card-promotions/27-10-2015-current-promo-71657.html

AFF on Air Podcast

• HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fleckso