Answered - Annual fee [waived when 'threatening' to cancel?] | Page 10 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Answered Annual fee [waived when 'threatening' to cancel?]

DeKa

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Deka which card are you getting ready to cut?
I need your scissors please cove. Annual fee due next week so rang to cancel. They offered an $89 annual fee, so I said no thanks and cancelled.

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
It is a sad state of affairs when you outgrow a CC Deka. I believe I am on the last month of one I have loved. Sad days indeed as my endless supply of QF points will be endangered on December 1st if the message I received is not reversed.
My Citi Prestige and Westpac Platinum Kris Flyer are still running smoothly along with Citi Exec which is a US CC and the Amex Premier Rewards which is also an American CC.

tgh

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Another year fee free on wow primary card plus normal fee on wow secondary card.
I though that was a fair deal and so the card remains in my wallet and swmbo's purse… where it must compete with a DJ's amex card that is about to be come a DJ's amex plat card for o fee/1yr and 50000 points… :)
Better earn rate on the plat makes it a no brainer...
Competitive market out there

ellen10

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Another year fee free on wow primary card plus normal fee on wow secondary card.
I though that was a fair deal and so the card remains in my wallet and swmbo's purse… where it must compete with a DJ's amex card that is about to be come a DJ's amex plat card for o fee/1yr and 50000 points… :)
Better earn rate on the plat makes it a no brainer...
Competitive market out there
Did you ask or did you say you wanted to cancel?

tgh

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Same as last year.. wrote well in advance and said pls cancel when card payment due.. was not bluffing but happy with the offer to continue.

ellen10

Established Member
AFF Supporter
My annual fee is due next statement so I was going to ring. Last year they halved the fee. But fee free is better.

tgh

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I suspect that they have a good nose for "negotiators".
My position was quite simple and I wasn't seeking another fee free year although I did accept their offer.
If they don't offer me the card sans fee next year I will cancel.. simple enough…don't really care...

New Chump

I suspect that they have a good nose for "negotiators".
You did better than me. I could not get them to improve their offer to reduce the annual fee to the old fee of $89 for the next year.

Pretty much on my maximum pain barrier for an annual fee for this type of points-capped card with no free flight/travel credit/no points on ATO spend etc, but I have reluctantly kept it for another year.

NC

Thhhza

Flights
My Map
Just cancelled my card after having it for 5 years. Offered me 2000 points to which I replied with asking for the fee to be waived. After waiting on the line, best they offered was a reduction to $89, alas card is now cancelled!

Oneworldplus2

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Gee wizz, good thing l thought about having a quick read on this thread.

Didn't know that the annual fee had gone up to $169. That is crazy. This card is useless. Will be cancelling this year.

Oneworldplus2

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Gee wizz, good thing l thought about having a quick read on this thread.

Didn't know that the annual fee had gone up to $169. That is crazy. This card is useless. Will be cancelling this year.
Got a phone call from services. Renewal date is next week. Threatened to cancel - wasn't a threat, l was actually going to can the card (too expensive) - got the fee waived for 'this year only'. Well, l'll have to cancel next year.

edcba

Intern
The annual fee is still $49 on the Visa Platinum card, and seems acceptable given that every month Woolworths Online offers 10% off for payments on this card.

Himeno

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Is this card worth it when there is no annual fee?

tgh

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Tried to get help while I was overseas .
Call centre refused to accept the call.
Got my wife to ring from 'Oz , they said that they were no longer acting for wow
Wife gave up after many fruitless calls , told me to manage as best I could.
I struggled to complete my trip carrying an injury that should have been managed by the insurer.

GSP

I've had the Qantas WOW Visa card for coming up to a year after getting 40k sign on QAN points and fee free for a year. My anniversary is due next month and saw the $169 fee and rang up to close. They offered half fee ($84.50) I said no, I'm going to open the WOW Platinum Visa instead as it is also fee free for the first year with a $100 bonus. They come back and waived the fee for next year so I said OK and kept the card.

The answer to the question if the card is worth it, both cards I mentioned above (QAN Visa and Platinum Visa) offer 10% of a shop each month as mentioned above. I use the card exclusively for that. I wouldn't however pay a fee for that - it saves me about $300 per year (well actually $150 as I would otherwise use Cashrewards gift cards which are purchased at a 5% discount.)

AFF on Air Podcast

• Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and wh ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fosking