Amex to launch Centurion card

Status
Not open for further replies.

netaddict

Apparently AMEX are bringing the Centurion card to Australia. I am a current Platinum card holder and noticed it on their web site. Spoke to Platinum and some changes are on the way to Platinum program as we know it as well as the new card. Exactly what the changes are they wouldn't comment just yet. All of this is due to happen over the coming months. Anyone know any details or recevied a invitation to the Centurion card yet?

AMEX Centurion

Regarding the AMEX Centurion, I was at a friends place on Sat night and he received the card friday. It comes in the most unbelievable package - solid wood (maybe cedar) box lined with velvet.

He didn't request the card, just a letter from AusPost saying that he had a package to pick up.

They give you two cards, one to be used for personal charges and the other if you want to seperate business charges.

We compared the differences to the platinum and it is quite significant, however you would expect that with an annual fee of $2800 p.a.

Re: AMEX Centurion

bravoecho said:
He didn't request the card, just a letter from AusPost saying that he had a package to pick up.

Isn't that kind of illegal, signing him up to the program even if he didn't request it.

Centurion Service Australia

If you want to know more about Centurion, try to call 1800 23 1889.

I'll try and get the list tomorrow. The analysis was done under a haze of HP's and a lot of the specfics don't come to mind, however the general concensus by all was that there is a significant difference.

Some details here about Platinum and Centurion (in the last paragraph).

By sheer coincidence, one of our own AFF'ers is mentioned in the article (wow, don't you love what the google search spat out - still I'm surprised that Rod Speed wasn't in the article as well) ;)

It looks like they were wrong in the article where they stated at the bottom of the article that the Centurion Card was so exclusive you couldn't even get it here.
Oh, I just noticed that the article was dated Oct 2002. :oops:

Taking a shine to platinum

Here is a excerpt from Australian Financial Review (28/02/2004) as below.

Not content with platinum, Amex is said to be launching its exclusive
flagship black Centurion card in Australia next month. It's not yet
known how much the annual fee will be, although Centurion cardholders
in the US pay $US2500 ($3200) a year and ##650 ($1600) in the UK.
Centurion, says Amex, is ``renowned for its unrivalled travel benefits
and privileged access".

I can see Centurion Card on Card Benefits page.

The most distinguished level of American Express Cardmembership.
The Centurion Card is available strictly by invitation only.
Learn more

Apologies for the delay as I have been out of town on business.

I have another friend receiving his next week, so I will copy down the details and post.

From memory you have twice as many partners on most programs and you earn 1.5pts/$.

With an annual fee of $2,800, you'd have to be keen for the benefits!

With an annual fee of $2,800, IMHO, the benefits will have to be pretty damn good. I'm sorry, but I just regard high price tags like this with a bit of scepticism in what I get - Bang for your buck ?

Which begs the question - what are they, and if you are invited to have it, are they worth the rather high annual fee ?

icemann said:
Which begs the question - what are they, and if you are invited to have it, are they worth the rather high annual fee ?
The Centuion Card issued here in Australia seems to be focused more on lifestyle
rather than travel. i.e., it will be a disappointment for frequent flyer but good news
for the others...

I have in the last few days received an invitation to become part of the select group of people to have a Centrurion card. My question is does anyone on this forum have a Centurion card and is it really worth the extra fee compaired to Platinum in their experience? Welcome any feedback.

From "The Age"

While American Express is guarded about the criteria for its Centurion membership, it is believed those entitled to brandish the coveted black plastic must earn several hundred thousand dollars a year, have been a long-term American Express cardholder and have a proven track record of shopping to excess.

Congratulations on your income level and your ability to "Shop to excess" :!:

My wife certainly has the second of the requirements sorted out. All I need to do is get a second job to fix the first part of the equation :!:

straitman, our wives must have been trained at the same store!!
Seriously, I'm very lucky with my wife - she doesn't shop often and finds great clothes at "bargain" prices.

Thankfully, my hobby is flying and travel-based websites. She puts up with them because the benefits are numerous ;) and without cost to her.

One of these days I'll ring up AMEX and see what they'll do for me card-wise (been a member since 89). My Gold card is getting rather tatty..had it since 89 and as Mrs LW has a supplementary one, that'll really make her day to have a brand new card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back