Amex Qantas card use vs W'worths Mastercard at Woolies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozflier

Established Member
I find Woolworths Everyday Rewards a little confusing - maybe that is the idea.

I would like your thoughts -

Is there any reason I should use my QF EDR Mastercard ( 1pt per $) at Woolies etc rather than my Amex (1.25 pts per $)

I would swipe my EDR card at the checkout of course.

I just can't see any reason not to use my Amex unless of course there are any specific promotions for the EDR Qantas Mastercard.

Am I missing something ?

Nope, not missing anything. Always do exactly as you have described at Woolies with scan EDR and use Amex at the eftpos. They have had at least one promotion for 1.5 points per dollar before. Save it until then. My biggest use of the card is elsewhere when Amex is not accepted. Since I have had the EDR card my Earth Plat MC use is zero.

And the $35 no sign limit makes it so much easier to use the Amex (particularly at self-serve).
I wish it was higher though - it is hard to get between $30 and $35 of groceries...

... Since I have had the EDR card my Earth Plat MC use is zero.
I have never used the M/C component of my Earth card - now the Amex part, when purchasing say, a $1500 Qantas fare is a different matter. ;)

Since the EDR barcode is on the back of the Woolies M/C when using it at a staffed check-out counter I reach across with a smile and scan the back of card myself. It cuts confusion, although staff seem to be rather more used to it these days.

I mostly use the EDR Mastercard card when there is a promotion of some sort, like the recent double points promotion.

or you could grab a citibusiness gold visa and get 1.25pt/$ everywhere you go instead of carrying your amex and EDR.

That wasn't linked to the Mastercard though, that was just an EDR promotion.

Rubbish. It was a Mastercard promotion.

Don't miss the opportunity to earn double Qantas Frequent Flyer points* when you shop at participating Woolworths group stores! Simply shop between 31 October, 2011 and
13 November, 2011 and pay with your Woolworths Qantas credit card*.

Plus, you'll still earn your standard 1 point per $1 spent over $30^ in one transaction at Woolworths/Safeway supermarkets and BWS stores (excluding Tasmania) and BIG W stores, and 1 point per $1 spent over $50^ in one transaction at participating Dick Smith stores through the Everyday Rewards program.

The table below shows you just how easy it is to boost your points.
Qantas Frequent Flyer points earned
Woolworths Qantas credit card*
Everyday Rewards^
Total
Spend $100
200 points
70 points[SUP]#[/SUP]
270 points
Hurry in, it all ends 13 November, 2011.

I have never used the M/C component of my Earth card - now the Amex part, when purchasing say, a $1500 Qantas fare is a different matter. ;)

As long as you don't mind missing out on the "bonus 2x" Qantas partner points... because currently this works out to diddley-squat cos this part of the earth card is broken :shock: Unlike my ANZ card which still works a treat @ 2 QFF per $1 spend

From our friends at westpac...
Bonus Points with Qantas1 bonus Qantas Frequent Flyer point for every $1 you spend on selected Qantas products and services[SUP]2[/SUP]

As long as you don't mind missing out on the "bonus 2x" Qantas partner points... because currently this works out to diddley-squat cos this part of the earth card is broken :shock: Unlike my ANZ card which still works a treat @ 2 QFF per $1 spend
I am not sure what you mean. Earth Amex earns at 1½ points per $ with an additional bonus point for 'select' Qantas making 2½ points per $.

I know about the recent issue with the not automatically posting, it happened to me but it was easily fixed. I am now carefully checking the statements. There's a whole thread on it: (http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/westpac-earth/westpac-not-awarding-earth-qantas-33969.html)

Since I have had the Earth, points have never been award for "Fees" (nor for Bpays¹).

But yes, I noticed this on my last bill for a transpac fare. I called late last week and the BP's came across yesterday.

Previously these points have come across correctly, most recent was in August - I had no eligible Qantas purchases between then and this month.

¹ Bpay bill payments for the Earth do not earn points. It was mentioned here and I did a small test to find this was indeed the case. I have not used BPay from the Earth since.

I know about the recent issue with the not automatically posting, it happened to me but it was easily fixed. I am now carefully checking the statements. There's a whole thread on it: (http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/westpac-earth/westpac-not-awarding-earth-qantas-33969.html)

Perhaps it is just me, but I really hate having to chase up points, and this card is really good at not passing on bonus points, yeah I can call but really should I have to follow them up all the time...?

Also I'm just on the standard earth which is 1:1 on Amex

Perhaps it is just me, but I really hate having to chase up points, and this card is really good at not passing on bonus points, yeah I can call but really should I have to follow them up all the time...?

this has only been happening since about October which is hardly supportive of your statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Aust Freq Fly app so please excuse the lack of links.

this has only been happening since about October which is hardly supportive of your statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Aust Freq Fly app so please excuse the lack of links.

Fair enough statement medhead, but still makes this card a little annoying though don't you think....?

I will shut up now, since I must be the only one having a problem with non-delivery of something which is advertised & promised...my bad sorry :oops:

Hey, it gets delivered ... eventually. Even the call centre people are clued up on it these days - they must be getting plenty of calls.

Westpac Bonus Partner points finally posted today...but only after ringing up to complain :D

Lets see if this November's flights post bonus points...:p

I had some post this week without my interference, but as separate Activity on my QFF account. Note my normal eom/posting is ~16th of each month.

I always have "fun" at the checkout when they ask for my EDR card.

The bar code is printed on the back of my Woolies Qantas Mastercard and they presume that I am paying with that - I have to prevent them from swiping the card and then hand over my AMEX.

When I explain - I still get the comment - "I've never seen that before". Come on guys the card has been out for well over a year now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back