Amex Optio | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Amex Optio

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
We are heading to the US later this month so I will watch out to see if this card gets launched.

robtemt

Flights
My Map
Before everyone gets overstimulated here.... I'll be the glass half full guy

Consider that the Amex Plat is already $1400ish (nearly three times the USA before the conversion), this imaginary card would be priced even higher (the "prediction" is $1500 for US version).

Is there a market in Oz for a 3rd premium Amex?

The article is almost all total speculation, although "Dr Credit" is apparently known for his info.

I'm not holding my breath on this one at all.

Foreigner

Established Member
AFF Supporter
One would be invited to apply for this card. After knocking back Centurion on three occasions I could be interested to apply if balance between cost and perks was better value for me

mitchsaunders

Flights
My Map
Before releasing a new card, it would be nice for AMEX to do a evaluation of the benefits of their current credit card line up (ones that are not the Platinum Charge card).

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
US has also just doubled the price of Centurion annual to US$10k, so I guess there is a big gap to the Platinum.

Quattro

Intern
It would have to be easily double the annual fee. In fact I dare say it would be more, and they would follow the US by upping the Centurion annual fee.

Hard to see how it would be invite only in this market.

liuyz

It might be just a new name of existing Centurion, and the true upgrade will be for the existing Centurion.

samh004

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I couldn't work out if this was talking about a credit card companion to a charge card, or a mid-tier level between the Plat Charge and the Centurion (charge). The article seems light of detail and that's predictable. As I have a free Plat Reserve, if this was a credit card for more points that the charge that you had to pay for then I could be interested. I could also be interested if this was a charge card in its own right that increased points earning about the Plat Charge but left out many of the benefits of the Centurion. We'll see what happens.

albyd

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Looks like there's enough buzz about it online and the Centurion AF increase would suggest they've created a gap for a new card between Centurion and Platinum to fill - assuming Platinum will have to give up some of its benefits over time. Outside of points earn and 'prestige' value, not sure what else they could give in benefits with Optio - guess we'll find out soon.

Not sure it will be released in Australia at the same time as the US in any event.

daft009

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Looks like there's enough buzz about it online and the Centurion AF increase would suggest they've created a gap for a new card between Centurion and Platinum to fill - assuming Platinum will have to give up some of its benefits over time. Outside of points earn and 'prestige' value, not sure what else they could give in benefits with Optio - guess we'll find out soon.

Not sure it will be released in Australia at the same time as the US in any event.
Hope they don't downgrade the platinum even more

AFF on Air Podcast

• Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
db07mufan