AMEX Corporate Gold Card Travel Insurance | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

AMEX Corporate Gold Card Travel Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

littl_flier

Active Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
898
Hi Guys,

I have recently booked myself and my travel partner a personal trip to New York with QF in November and paid for it on my AMEX Corporate Gold Card. I have searched around the AMEX webiste, and they indicate that travel insurance is provided with enhanced benefits for gold members. Some of the headings very briefly outlined on the Australian AMEX website seem to indicate travel insurance is only for business travel though. The Canadian website however, indicates that as long as travel is booked on the card, insurance is provided for both business and personal. Does anyone know what level if any benefits are provided for personal trips and recomend whether I would be better taking out a proper policy? If it does include benefits for the card holder, what about my travelling partner?

Given that AMEX won't talk to me unless its business hours and I spend half an hour of work time on hold, can anyone give me a heads up before I give AMEX a ring?

Thanks,
littl_flier
 

littl_flier

Active Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
898
Ok, I admit this was probably in the too hard basket but for future reference and too hopefully avoid suckers like me buying travel insurance every trip when in fact they don't need it, i will post the results.

littl_flier said:
I have recently booked myself and my travel partner a personal trip to New York with QF in November and paid for it on my AMEX Corporate Gold Card.
AMEX will cover personal trips and business trips.

littl_flier said:
I have searched around the AMEX webiste, and they indicate that travel insurance is provided with enhanced benefits for gold members. Some of the headings very briefly outlined on the Australian AMEX website seem to indicate travel insurance is only for business travel though. The Canadian website however, indicates that as long as travel is booked on the card, insurance is provided for both business and personal.
The product disclosure checklist is attached. For further details, please contact AMEX's insurance provider's "Ace Insurance" on 1800 810 624.

littl_flier said:
Does anyone know what level if any benefits are provided for personal trips and recomend whether I would be better taking out a proper policy?
As above, covers Personal and Business trips with reasonable levels of cover and a $120 excess.

littl_flier said:
If it does include benefits for the card holder, what about my travelling partner?
The travel insurance is only for the cardolder, spouse and dependent children.



The only problem I noted was that it only covers $50,000 for medical expenses. I'm travelling to the US and touch wood nothing will happen, but if it doesn't, this will be a bit "cheap", won't it?
 

Attachments

PaulZ

Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Messages
216
littl_flier said:
The only problem I noted was that it only covers $50,000 for medical expenses. I'm travelling to the US and touch wood nothing will happen, but if it doesn't, this will be a bit "cheap", won't it?
I don't think $50,000 will get you into the front door of an American Hospital!!!!

Well that is an exaggeration... However, if you have a heart attack, it will cost at least $1,000,000... $50,000 just isn't enough in my opinion. My Platinum AMEX card is Unlimited for Medical Expenses.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,694
Flights
My Map
The Amex Gold Card PDS attached above is for Travel Accident Insurance, not for general Travel Insurance.
 

littl_flier

Active Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
898
oz_mark said:
The Amex Gold Card PDS attached above is for Travel Accident Insurance, not for general Travel Insurance.
I'm not quite understanding. It mentions travel delay, bagage etc. :confused:
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,461
Flights
My Map
To explain:

Hit by a Truck; that's generally an accident and you have cover for that.

Heart attack; that is NOT considered an accident and no cover ...
 

littl_flier

Active Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
898
serfty said:
To explain:

Hit by a Truck; that's generally an accident and you have cover for that.

Heart attack; that is NOT considered an accident and no cover ...
Thanks Serfty and oz_mark. That would have been a very rude shock. Looks like I'll need to fork out another $100. Should really have gone for the multi-trip................
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,179
littl_flier said:
Ok, I admit this was probably in the too hard basket but for future reference and too hopefully avoid suckers like me buying travel insurance every trip when in fact they don't need it, i will post the results.
I have so many credit cards that offer some sort of travel insurance but I just ignore them as I have read the conditions on some them.

It may sound like I am a lame dupe overpayer but I purchase a yearly comprehensive travel insurance policy and have reduced the excess to zero for around $330/pa. Hopefully I will never need to claim anything and I am throwing away $330/pa. But if something happens then I know I am fully covered. Well I hope I am anyway....
 

lewko

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2005
Messages
14
JohnK said:
I have so many credit cards that offer some sort of travel insurance but I just ignore them as I have read the conditions on some them.

It may sound like I am a lame dupe overpayer but I purchase a yearly comprehensive travel insurance policy and have reduced the excess to zero for around $330/pa. Hopefully I will never need to claim anything and I am throwing away $330/pa. But if something happens then I know I am fully covered. Well I hope I am anyway....
With whom? I am paying around $500 (plus excess) and thought it a bargain.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,179
TravelInsuranceDirect. You need to scroll down the page and click on the frequent traveller before requesting a quote otherwise it prices too high.

I paid $340 for the annual frequent traveller policy and $25 to reduce the $100 excess per claim, so all up $365. There is another online insurance company, not sure of name, that offers a slightly cheaper policy but I decided to go with TravelInsuranceDirect.
 

Febs

Established Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
1,659
littl_flier - Sounds like that insurance is pretty reasonable, but if you're ever looking for something even more comprehensive, our work travel insurance (through JLT, underwritten by Chubb) can be had for personal trips for ~$100 per family per holiday (up to 6 months in length). Having claimed baggage on it before on a work trip, I can say it's an excellent policy. :)

Out of curiosity, how did you go about getting the Gold Corporate AMEX? Is that standard issue up there? Do you have to pay the annual fees yourself?

PaulZ said:
I don't think $50,000 will get you into the front door of an American Hospital!!!!
Funnily enough, a colleague fell ill when we were in the US once and needed to see a doctor at a hospital's medical centre. After receiving treatment (nothing serious or lengthy, but more than a basic checkup) the doctor simply asked for the name of my colleague's private health insurance provider. When told it was an Australian insurer, the doctor said it didn't matter. So the insurer's name (and colleague's personal details) were taken, and nothing further ever eventuated.

Seemed a little odd to me. :confused:

Cheers,
- Febs.
 

littl_flier

Active Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
898
Febs said:
littl_flier - Sounds like that insurance is pretty reasonable, but if you're ever looking for something even more comprehensive, our work travel insurance (through JLT, underwritten by Chubb) can be had for personal trips for ~$100 per family per holiday (up to 6 months in length). Having claimed baggage on it before on a work trip, I can say it's an excellent policy. :)
Thanks Febs, must really check this out. For a six month trip, that's excellent. :D My TA has done really well out of me lately, 3 insurance policies and even at the half retail price I get it for, its in excess of $300. :oops: Do you know if this policy covers girlfriends- are you using it for the US roadtrip?


Febs said:
Funnily enough, a colleague fell ill when we were in the US once and needed to see a doctor at a hospital's medical centre. After receiving treatment (nothing serious or lengthy, but more than a basic checkup) the doctor simply asked for the name of my colleague's private health insurance provider. When told it was an Australian insurer, the doctor said it didn't matter. So the insurer's name (and colleague's personal details) were taken, and nothing further ever eventuated.

Seemed a little odd to me.
So there was no payment?

Febs said:
Out of curiosity, how did you go about getting the Gold Corporate AMEX? Is that standard issue up there? Do you have to pay the annual fees yourself?.
Just luck of the draw I think, I certainly don't pay anything except the corporate ascent rewards fee. About half of the group that started with me got Gold, and the other half got the green card emblazened with the company name. I like the Gold better myself. ;)

All Undergrads are spend limited however, unlike the normal cards. Maybe this is the reason? (although they are about to remove mine :p because I manage to keep maxing my limits - its already been increased twice. It was quite embarrassing last year when I checked out of a hotel and couldn't pay the bill and I was the only one travelling. :oops: Crazy policy really.)
 

Febs

Established Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
1,659
littl_flier said:
Do you know if this policy covers girlfriends- are you using it for the US roadtrip?
Hoping to - not sure if it would cover non-family though. Will let you know when I find out.

littl_flier said:
So there was no payment?
None at all!

littl_flier said:
All Undergrads are spend limited however, unlike the normal cards. Maybe this is the reason? (although they are about to remove mine :p because I manage to keep maxing my limits - its already been increased twice. It was quite embarrassing last year when I checked out of a hotel and couldn't pay the bill and I was the only one travelling. :oops: Crazy policy really.)
Ha, yes I've seen that situation rear it's ugly head before - undergrads running around trying to find one of us to pay for their hotel accommodation so they can make it to the airport in time for their flight. It is a pretty low limit, considering (in the case of an undergrad here in Sydney) one flight was around 6x the limit!

Cheers,
- Febs.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Columbus Direct offer a travel insurance policy for $250 a year; if you take out Gold membership of AFF , then this drops to $200 per annum. That's the one I took out for this year

Dave
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,688
Messages
1,887,921
Members
49,590
Latest member
LindySav
Top