Abbreviations and explanations | Page 10 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Abbreviations and explanations

Since this thread is already stickied at the top of the forum I see no harm in posting to it (not really a bump if you're not bumping it anywhere is it?).

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for compiling this list of Abbreviations and their explanations, when I came across this site my first reaction was :confused: what do all these abbreviations mean, but you've made it a lot easier to get myself up to speed on the jargon employed by those on this board. (Though I'll probably have to keep it open in another tab for reference for some time yet)

Adelaide

This abbreviations list is great. Having AFF, the web and travelling conversations combined is like learning a whole new language and having the translations close at hand is helpful.

Noob

Established Member
I swear there is no other forum on the net with as many abbreviations as AFF - and if there is I don't want to know about it!

anat0l

Enthusiast
I swear there is no other forum on the net with as many abbreviations as AFF - and if there is I don't want to know about it!
Very well - I won't tell you then! :p

----------
Aust Freq Fly app: bringing this anat0l content to your mobile.

ChrisDPom

Flights
My Map
Re: Please Post your AFF Acronyms and Abbreviations here.

Can I ask that FIGJAM be added to the abbreviations. Usually reserved for Floungers & usually the DYKWIA variety.

If you don't know the term , just google it and you will then probably start thinking of all the people who resemble to acronym!!

SteveK64

Thanks for the abbreviations list - it has been very beneficial for us new folks here... cheers :)

Smidget

This is my first time posting on this forum but have been reading each blog with great interest. Thank you for a great forum.
Thank you for also this list. Have been lurking on this forum and been wondering about the abbreviations for the various status. I love the W in platinum status... Thanks the laugh...
Trying to hit at least SG this year. It is hard when one does not fly that often but here is hoping for a double status credit from QF.

K

kimjongun

Im new here - I have quickly looked but don't actually understand "why" I am a wanker if I am platinum. Is this reserved just for airlines? What about Virgin who have platinum, so wanker if qantas and Virgin or twice the wanker? I am confused

harvyk

Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map

Im new here - I have quickly looked but don't actually understand "why" I am a wanker if I am platinum. Is this reserved just for airlines? What about Virgin who have platinum, so wanker if qantas and Virgin or twice the wanker? I am confused
The W in WP is part joke, part observations of what people can be like when they get to WP.
It's meant to be bit of fun, in the same vein that each level has it's own insult attached to it. (eg NB / PS / SG)

Virgin also gets the WP tag... I believe it would be applied to just about any status types where the platinum level is nearing the top, although it is mainly used around here for QF / VA.

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map

As Harvy indicated its just a joke.

It could be described as deprecative Aussie humour.

I'm proudly both QF WP & VA WP.;):p

Double w@nker if you like.:D

Last edited:
K

kimjongun

sertfy - I have found "aussie humour" or not - calling someone a wanker usually results in a broken nose

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map

sertfy - I have found "aussie humour" or not - calling someone a wanker usually results in a broken nose
It depends on the context - remember, its not "W@nker", it is "W@nker Platinum".

11sjw

Established Member

Welcome to AFF (sure that's been said before but not by me!!). Yes a straight up labelling someone a "w_nker" might get you a broken nose (by the way we aren't all violent at the drop of a hat!!). The WP tag is probably more synonymous with the DYKWIA attitude.

If you want to get up serfty's nose call him a "W_nker Collingwood supporter!!" :D

Hvr

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum

As Harvy indicated its just a joke.

It could be described as depreciative Aussie humour.

I'm proudly both QF WP & VA WP.;):p

Double w@nker if you like.:D

Is that self deprecating spelling? ;) Or were you referring to the finance industry word that starts with b and rhymes with w@nker? :mrgreen:

erkpod

Established Member
Flights
My Map
I've been using Vlounging to describe lounging in a VA lounge (Vlounge).

erkpod

Established Member
Flights
My Map
I thought of another one last night to describe VA's new wireless in flight entertainment - WIFE.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stratocruiser